SAU Community

HOWTO: RB25DET High Boost mode with standard solenoid

paulr33

• 3 weeks later...

Nice mod, took the car for a test run before the mod and after and can see the difference on the stock meter. Definitely feels like its pulling harder lower down.

This may be a dope question, but would it be beneficial to reset the stock ECU so that it might adapt to this change?

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone PLEASE confirm if this works on a S2 Stagea or R34??

So far this question doesn't seem to have been answered anywhere in this thread.

Anyone??

actually to answer my own question, i went ahead and did it anyway.

I have a stock S2 Stagea.

All I did was cut the BLACK wire between the solenoid and the plug and then i connected the solenoid end of the black wire to the chassis.

Then I taped up the plug end of the black wire and also taped up the join on the other wires and the job was done.

And the result? At first I didn't notice any difference but the more I drove it the more I realised that the down-low response was noticably improved.

Top end power is the same, which was to be expected, but what you get is greater throttle response at lower revs. Makes it feel just that little bit quicker off the line :O

Too easy! and I highly recommend it!!

i'll try it on my r34 when i get it back from the panel beaters this weekend.

say, can anyone tell me what this would add to their fuel economy if they were to leave it on this setting all the time? i do about 80% city driving.

i'll try it on my r34 when i get it back from the panel beaters this weekend.

say, can anyone tell me what this would add to their fuel economy if they were to leave it on this setting all the time? i do about 80% city driving.

I used to get ~13-14 L/100km (100% city driving) - will let you know the difference next time I fuel up.

Worked sweet guys... took about 10 minutes to do. Now might be time for me to wire up a switch, but i think i might leave it on like that and see how fuel consumption goes.

At first, i didn't feel it, but then after some testing, my gauge was reading about 7psi before 4500rpm and i found highway driving quite pleasant :) . Great stuff.. thanks for this free mod.

Edited by Howie

There isn't much difference to fuel economy. Remeber, your accelerator pedal can also control the amount of boost. So unless you fang it 24\7, thre wont be much difference. If you do fang it everywhere...the difference is about 30KM's per tank

hey guys

did this over the wkend and definitely saw a change - I usually was getting about 0.45-0.5bar of boost and a higher rev range of 0.6-0.7bar. Well since doing this mod (and it is that easy just do the soldering, neat wiring stuff, and a good earth as mentioned!!) i've noticed a big increase in grunt in early gears - I can now shift off the lights at roundabouts and nip in thru traffic whereas previously the boost wasn't really helping to shift the car off the mark - its not massive but its definitely noticeable. cheers :(

just ordered a pfc off gr33ddy (paul) here on skylinesaustralia so looking forward to getting that :)

ok soo if i just get another peice of wire and shove it into the terminal with the black wire going into it.. this shoudl work? and oviously ground that wire because i dotn really wanna chop the wire going into the solenoid

Question - this mod sounds great and all in theory, but surely grounding the standard solenoid permenantly means that it would be pulsing 100% of the time that the car is turned on? Including at idle and really low RPM when it doesn't actually need to?

Just a thought anyway...

For those interested - the Jaycar IEBC sounds like a better option in the long run if you're on a budget (like myself).

RaseR:

I think it just keeps the solenoid open permanently. either way you only see 0.7bar of boost on a normal gtst anyhow - by doing this mod you just make it see the extra 0.2bar of boost in the lower rev range which it would see anyhow if you gun the car hard enough in those gears. Its gonna put a little more strain on the stock tubby but they're good for 0.9bar I've read.

MMM:

heres a diagram I did for a mate elsewhere.... lookin at solenoid from front of car just snip the black wire, solder an extra bit to the end of the left half and earth it to a good point on the car - pref as near as possible like beneath a pod filter bracket which is what I did. tape up loose ends and try it out. its just a little wire mate :)

boost_sol_wiring2.jpg

hey anthonymcgrath, that's exactly what I mean. Surely wiring the solenoid so as to be constantly on is not really a good thing, you certainly don't need it to pulse at idle and low rpm which it will do if it's permanently grounded....this would have to wear the solenoid at a far greater rate then something like the Jaycar IEBC......anyway.....

ah reet I see - In all honesty mate I dont know - I've just done it and I'll see how it goes - if the solenoid pops then I'll get a new un hehe :-/

i've just got a new turbo with a busted shaft which I'm gonna turn into a hybrid and I've also ordered a new PFC from gR33ddy for a great price off this very site which I should see next week.

Once all thats in along with other bits (arc intercooler etc..) I should see quite a hike in performance and a single stage of boost anyhow hehe!

I think earlier in the thread ppl mentioned removing the solenoid all together. not sure if anyone went with this route tho.

ant

Edited by anthonymcgrath

• 2 weeks later...
thanx mate for the info but i want to know if theres still anyway of doing it without cutting/stripping the exsisting wire

That would be the easiest way. Otherwise you would have to take apart the connector and not sure if it will go back together again.

Just buy some stripping wires and strip away (if your not sure. I stripped mine with scissors). It's piss easy. Soldering it on will take about 5 seconds. Cover it in heat shrink or electrical tape and your away.

I put a three way switch on mine....

Dick Smith Switch

Mounted on the dash so I can switch it off when it's raining.