SAU Community

300Zx Tt Potential

How does a 300ZX Twin Turbo compare to a R33 GTS-T? Considering wether its worth it to buy and modify it to hit the 300kw's.. If the RB30/25 is a torque monster can the 300zx be similar with similar, what im after is a fairly cheap reliable 300kw for the street and thinking of doing Injectors,computer,Eflex and 18psi on stock turbo's to get close to 300kw if I bought one.. At this power level with the R33 it was frying second gear and a handful, could I expect the same with a 300zx??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok well assuming it has good turbo's and we don't need to remove the engine, what potential does it have with ( stock turbo's apparently are garrett) to make over 250kw with E85 and say 18psi??

would it be a push in the seat experience or lacking????

There has been a few good ones in magazines over the years, one owner took out the intercoolers and used water injection to cool the intake charge

Got rid of the intercooler piping and really neatened up the bay no end

massive money and effort to modify with lots of problems and troubleshooting along the way.

does it have a computer or FMIC yet? turbo back exhaust etc etc? boost control? injectors for the juice too?

otherwise they are an old car like RB's so also consider the usual suspects of fuel pump

Also they suffer from a lot of wiring faults and oil leaks due to the restricted space in the engine bay often meaning required maintenance of require things doesn't get done as too expensive/hard to work on. Also that tight fit means higher under-bonnet temps.

Any medium to major work is the standard 'engine out' too.

I loved the look and the potential performance of them and always wanted one. Did my research, decided against and here I am a happy RB owner :)

ah good old fashioned internet advise from non owners, they're as reliable as any other 20 year old car, it just comes down to making sure you do the proper maintenance. Make sure the cooling system is in good working order & don't skip fluid/filter changes, make sure the 100k km service is done & worth doing a plenum pull. Simple common sense stuff.

Jump onto aus300zx.com & have a bit of a read up there for all your answers

LOL, this is gold.

You don't have to take the engine out to work on them, if you want to change the turbo's then sure, the engine coming out is the easiest way, but apart from that they're no different to any other V6.

I pulled the head off a kia sorento recently and there's no more room in one of those...

Mine has 360 RWKW and I daily it. It's a slicktop 2 seater version so it's lighter and shorter than the others. It's actually smaller than a 180sx or a skyline. They are a FANTASTIC drivers car. They handle well and the build quality surpasses that of other nissans of the same vintage (not that that's really important when buying a sports car)...

Here's mine:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/431749-360rwkw480-rwhp-z32-slicktop/

ok well assuming it has good turbo's and we don't need to remove the engine, what potential does it have with ( stock turbo's apparently are garrett) to make over 250kw with E85 and say 18psi??

would it be a push in the seat experience or lacking????

As far as potential, this is my car on low boost (only 16 PSI) and taking it very easy on the 1-2 change and easy on the throttle until 100kmh otherwise I just get too much wheel spin. It's a lot quicker on 22 psi and if I bury my foot, the needle just goes spastic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=379020305557294&set=vb.100003479824447&type=3&theater

As far as potential, this is my car on low boost (only 16 PSI) and taking it very easy on the 1-2 change and easy on the throttle until 100kmh otherwise I just get too much wheel spin. It's a lot quicker on 22 psi and if I bury my foot, the needle just goes spastic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=379020305557294&set=vb.100003479824447&type=3&theater

Nice results and looks very stock under the bonnet too, ive been in a NA and a couple of twin turbo's and they are very solid on the road compared to my gtst and feel like they're a quality vehicle. Still look pretty modern too and with those extra cubes would be good off boost with E85.

ah good old fashioned internet advise from non owners, they're as reliable as any other 20 year old car, it just comes down to making sure you do the proper maintenance. Make sure the cooling system is in good working order & don't skip fluid/filter changes, make sure the 100k km service is done & worth doing a plenum pull. Simple common sense stuff.

Jump onto aus300zx.com & have a bit of a read up there for all your answers

Yeah id be looking for a mature owner with good service history for sure, nice looking car for 20years old too

This thread is full of BS, crap they read on the net hahaha. AngryRB, a good condition stock turbo Z32 can make in excess of 250rwkw on 16PSI with 98 octane, mod for mod a ZX will DESTROY a GTSt, not even kidding. I know this as my family has owned and i have driven many variants of BOTH. No bias here, just plain facts, My NA ZX is on par with a stock/mild GTSt. Fair few guys are in the 11's on stock turbos with Z32's, including one here in aus doing 11.50's @ 117MPH on 98octane. Few in the US are doing 11.30's/11.40's at 121-124MPH with E85.

The potential is there, just the bad rep from lemons that haven't been taken care of stops people from buying them.

Edited by Super Drager

You're on the wrong forum mate.

Go to the aus300zx forum for some real facts.

Great forum, excellent info, buy their CD for workshop manual and so on, even has recipes.

Terrific bunch of blokes and what a car forum is all about.

Just remember when looking at a 300zx is 90% of them have seeious electrical demons and most of the water hoses are perished and require replacing. They are also very light in the rear and have trouble with traction at standard power levels.

Also they are harder to work on then a gtst (won't say skyline cause the Gtr is a pain) and good ones may be harder to find

Im getting used to PITA setup's, the top feed rail on gtst is something id like to forget in future...

Just throwing idea's up at the moment, also considering a Toyota Prado 3.4L petrol for something different, looking for best bang for buck for under $10k..