SAU Community

Turbo Water Cooling Pump

abr33

Hi all,

Iv been looking around, and cant seem to find anyone having done this.

My concern is, when I shut the car off, after a minute I can hear water start to bubble, not like sizzle at all but just pop away slowly.

It did it with the garrett and with the new efr. The lines come from factory points, are free from blockage etc.

Im wondering if a small transfer pump hooked into the line would be of benefit, to get more water going faster.

Or if its not worth worrying about.

So has anyone heard of it being done?

What pump would work?

Is it a problem? - more to the point of getting air in the system.

Thoughts?

When water boils it turns into water vapour and when it cools it condenses back into a fluid . The whole idea of having a water cooled turbo is to stop the heat in the manifold and turbine housing conducting into the centre housing and cooking the oil in the bearings mainly after shut down . It only has to work for about five minutes and provided the water vapour bubbles can rise out of the centre section without forming vapour locks it should work fine .

Just remember the water line out of the turbo must let the coolant rise to a higher point in the cooling system or it's hard to make it thermosiphon properly .

A .

You can run no coolant through your turbo and it will be fine providing you cool it down considerably before turning the engine off. The only real reason is to keep the oil temps under control, it is rare a turbo gets so hot it actually melts and warps studs/housing, though I have seen it on a GTRS running 20psi on a 25 that was being tracked.

I wasn't aware it thermo siphoned when you shut the car off, so it makes a big difference where you plumb your coolant lines from, something worth remembering.

Edited by Rolls

Garrett etc recommend the core be mounted so the water lines are at 20 odd degrees from memory for this exact reason, and youl notice that the stock water line runs uphill the whole way back to the intake manifold :)