SAU Community

2014 Barbagallo Track Days

BCM-R33

Thanks for clearing everything up! Still dont think they need to split up the group as the 'your car our track' days still dont get that much entrants

EDIT: I must have got his name mixed up with yours Bryce, my bad

Edited by ichi-go

Hey Johnny,

Who's the black S15 behind you ?

That's my mate Ash - will be seeing him more often as soon as he get his car sorted

Are you getting l2 johnny and coming down Saturday?

Tbh not sure what benefit going to L2 membership and race tuning day, will probably just stick with L4 for now

• The "your car our track" day (requires Level 4 WASCC membership) is for those who are either new to the track and/or are not running confident, consistent lap times like the race series drivers.
  • The "race tuning day" (requires level 2 WASCC membership) is mainly for CAMS log-booked race cars AND for street registered cars with confident drivers who are not going to get in the way of any race series competitors who are testing/practising
  • As a general rule of thumb, I would say if you have past track experience and know the track protocol well (i.e. what all the track safety lights mean, let quicker cars through and keep out of the way when necessary, entering and leaving pit lane correctly etc), then you should be doing "race tuning days" and not "your car our track" days. For example, if it's the first time you have been on the track and you are driving a stock standard Suzuki Swift then you should definitely get a L4 WASCC membership and only do "your car our track"
  • However, don't let the above put you off getting a WASCC L2 membership and joining us on the race tuning days just because your car might not be making big hp with big brakes etc. Obviously there are going to be various cars doing various lap times no matter what track day you are doing. It's all just about having the confidence and awareness of quicker cars that are out there with you so that we aren't getting in the way of others too much or causing a safety hazard.
  • Depending on the turn out for the "race tuning days", the 20 minute sessions are split in to 3 categories - "CAMS log-booked race cars", "open wheelers", and "Street registered cars"

It's almost a bit conflicting that info. Wouldn't the serious guys be out racing in the logbooked time frame and the street cars be out in their 20min slot. So the serious competitors wouldnt be out with the street cars ?

No, because some street cars are faster than log book cars, so log book cars have to give way, they can some times run with street cars. It's a 2 way street really, just respect the faster cars no matter wat session ur in and every one Will be happy :)

• Like 1

It does seem a bit conflicting and confusing now but I think we will start to appreciate the track days being split up later in the year once it starts to get a lot more busy i.e. When there is a big turn out, in theory the guys doing "your car our track" will find a lot of inexperienced slower drivers out on track with them and even if there is cars running quicker times than you, the driver might have never even been on a race track before or have any experience because the idea of "your car our track" is for those who have never previously held a CAMS licence before (according to the Barbagallo staff at the race office).

So in theory for those of us doing "race tuning days", even when there is a big turn out and we are running in our own "road registered car" class and not with the race log-booked cars, we should still be driving on the track with people who do actually have some past track experience and should know all about track day courtesy and implement the safety rules well etc

Now just to frustrate everyone some more, here are a few points that are still confusing me;

• Why have they also split up the benefits of the L4 and L2 memberships e.g. Why is it that free entry to V8 supercars is only included in the L2 membership and not the L4? There is a big price difference in the membership costs that does reflect this but if the memberships are allowing those with street registered cars to both do some form of track days (and yet still not allow us to officially race), why not give new members the same benefits? i.e. Why not just make the L2 and L4 memberships the same price and have them both include free V8 supercar entry?
  • Why is it that WASCC staff tell you on the day that L4 and "your car our track" is for less experience drivers and first time members, yet there is no info on the website or application forms to support this???

Cleary there are still a few things that need clearing up. I will try to find time to confirm everything with WASCC management and will post up all the answers on here for everyone. However, please be patient with it all for now as I am about to fly out for work for 1 week so may not have an answer for a while.

Alternatively, the more confused phone calls WASCC get, the more likely they are to make all their info more clear on the website so if anyone else wants to help me out here, feel free haha

Anyway, I'll clear this all up as soon as I can so we can all get out on the track together again.

Cheers

Bren

There was a lady that came out to the track day on Wednesday (who posted this photo to Wascc fb page), apparently she's responsible for revamping the website/fb page

She says one of the problem is the lack of info on the wascc website so she is working towards fixing it - so hopefully we will see some changes in the future soon

Will have to see how the L4 spans out, on last Wed, there was probably an equal amount of experienced vs unexperienced drivers on the track so it wasn't really much of a problem for now hence why i dont see any benefit going to Race Tuning Days

Right gang I've just got off the phone WASCC yet again to try and sort this out once and for all.

Here are a few key points to add;

• Everything I have said so far stands
  • L2 membership also gives you the opportunity to privately hire the track (obviously additional track hire fees will apply) and L4 does not
  • Those who currently already have the L4 membership and doing "your car our track days" are welcome to just keep doing that if they want but (as I said before) when there is a busy turn out, just bare in mind that you may be on track with inexperienced people in extremely slow cars
  • Those who already have L4 membership but now want to change to L2 membership and join us for "race tuning days" with the additional membership benefits (such as free V8 supercar entry and private track hire etc) can do so by calling the race office and paying the difference for the upper membership

For anyone new to this thread and/or for anyone who still has questions or confusion, feel free to call the WASCC office on 9306 8022.

The website info is very piss poor and disorganised this year but at least staff are friendly and willing to help or will pass on a message to race management if need be.

Hope this helps guys.

Also can feel free to call me if you like 0457 504 844. I may not answer but will get back to you within a few days.

Cheers

Bren

The thing that I'm a bit bummed about is the times (or more specifically, the days) that events are being held this year. This Saturday is a Tuning Day but then there isn't another weekend Tuning Day until August, then another in September - and that's it!

Makes it hard for those who work busy Monday to Friday, 8 to 6 jobs :(

Perhaps some of the No Limits events might be the way to go, at least they're late on a Thursday evening generally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...