SAU Community

Rb26 Just Removed Head, Think I Pulled The Engine Just In Time!

Last few day finally got around to pulling out my engine, has been a long time coming, car has been sitting since last November, I pulled it off the road due to having a feeling something wasn't right, and I don't drive it unless it 100%, anywho just got the head off which is actually looking really good as previous owner spent 5k on a head service blah blah blah, in 2010. But here are some pics, I think I made the right decision, not looking to nice in there, opinions?post-27243-13986900576505_thumb.jpgpost-27243-13986900790877_thumb.jpgpost-27243-13986900945606_thumb.jpgpost-27243-13986901074043_thumb.jpgpost-27243-13986901234217_thumb.jpg

Im looking but cant see whatever your seeing, bores and pistons look OK, stock pistons, some uneven carbon build up is all that my eyes spotted, nothing drastic though.

What am i supposed to have seen or missed?

• Like 1

Ok, so if that's it. She'll be sweet to chuck back together then and continue to use for how long? That's why I'm asking the question! It looks like it has seen better days! But if it looks fine I should chuck the head back on, strap on the single and here we come 28psi! Or rebuild before something goes bang, or decides to poke it's head out the side of the block, it's more of a question then a statement.

See how at the end of my post it says, opinions?. That's where you gurus come in and tell me your opinions, does it look like it's heading for retirement, or just out the engine build room ready for another 24years. Seriously wonder why the bloody forum is dying, it's coz the forums stalkers who have to show they know everything, and are above everyone who doesn't know as much....should make this a joint forum with commodore owners,

Ive heard those O5U pistons are best for high boost, so 28psi on a big frame like gt42 will be a walk in the park. Just scrape off the carbon and polish up the top of those pistons with some autosol and it will be like brand new again.

^^Agreed, not sure where that came from.

Anyway, I would suggest running a bit more conservative boost if you want that stock engine to last.

Why did you pull it apart anyway? Was there definitive evidence of it needing attention?

See how at the end of my post it says, opinions?. That's where you gurus come in and tell me your opinions, does it look like it's heading for retirement, or just out the engine build room ready for another 24years. Seriously wonder why the bloody forum is dying, it's coz the forums stalkers who have to show they know everything, and are above everyone who doesn't know as much....should make this a joint forum with commodore owners,

I think posters have done the opposite to what you are complaining about. They have not made definitive pronouncements about your engine or pretend to know whether it will last another 200,000km at 500hp on the basis of a posted photo. They just say they can't see any obvious major fault. Apart from looking down the bores there are objective tests you can do - compression test, leakdown test, actually measure the bores for wear and out of round, feel for piston movement up and down or side to side.

• Like 1

Couldn't hurt to re do all gaskets and flush ecerything while you're there. Only thing to worry about would be the goo in I think the second pic near the water jackets? I've never fully had any rb motor apart before so I could be wrong but nobody likes sludge

5 and 6 look cleaner than the rest - could that be because of leaner running due to the stock plenums propensity to push a bit more air in the rear cylinders, or am i reading too much into it.

wtf

Check the Cyl wall for scarring since you are there already. you cant really see anything at the top since you just see the cyl wall and piston crown.