SAU Community

Cycle Registration Floated

GTR-N1

One of my favorite parts from the second article

"Wait … if boats have to pay registration, isn't it about time surfers paid too? And displayed registration, so we can film and fine them if they stray into swimming zones?"

What's so bad about cyclists using footpaths anyway? I rode my bike to school pretty much all the way up until I got my driver's license, don't think I rode along the road (sure I crossed a few) more than a handful of times at most. Pretty much always along a footpath, never once caused any inconvenience or had any problems. When there was a few people I was able to slow down to their pace and then pass on the grass or the other side of the path where available.

Why can't this just happen? Am I missing something here!?!

"Wait … if boats have to pay registration, isn't it about time surfers paid too? And displayed registration, so we can film and fine them if they stray into swimming zones?"

filepicker%2FsgEhQPYIS5eJCUX7ynid_Apples

What's so bad about cyclists using footpaths anyway? I rode my bike to school pretty much all the way up until I got my driver's license, don't think I rode along the road (sure I crossed a few) more than a handful of times at most. Pretty much always along a footpath, never once caused any inconvenience or had any problems. When there was a few people I was able to slow down to their pace and then pass on the grass or the other side of the path where available.

Why can't this just happen? Am I missing something here!?!

Lycra clad racers can't ride on grass...or over an ant without breaking a femur

So your fellow car drivers and their intolerance?

They don't want to hear it; because it doesn't suit the argument.

No lets just forget the real cause if the problem and lay blame somewhere else cause its never ever the bike riders fault

They don't want to hear it; because that would be common sense and we can't have any of that

• Like 1

That is the dumbest thing I have read yet, I'll tell you want if I see a surf board rider riding his surf board on the Hawksbury river during the bride to bridge race I'll be say to yell abuse at him :D

My usual average is over 30km/h. wouldnt want to hit someone at that speed.

Because Rajab forbid the tables are turned and it's somebody else slowing down the cyclist! :O

Edited by Hank Scorpio

That is the dumbest thing I have read yet, I'll tell you want if I see a surf board rider riding his surf board on the Hawksbury river during the bride to bridge race I'll be say to yell abuse at him :D

cheers mate thanks for confirming. :rolleyes:

sweet, finally I am getting through to people. :action-smiley-069:

So you admit that is what cyclists do and that is why they need to pay rego and have numberplates?

Excellent! :)

Because Rajab forbid the tables are turned and it's somebody else slowing down the cyclist! :O

exactly this, seems cyclists are happy to be an irritation but not actually be irritated
  • Like 1

No one is denying that a small percentage of riders do the wrong thing; but so do car drivers.

The principle difference between cyclists hitting cars, and cars hitting cyclists is; If your hit by an errant cyclist in your car you are extremely unlikely to die. If an inattentive driver hits you on a bike; you are quite likely to be severely and permanently injured or be killed.
The numbers of cyclists hit and killed/severely injured far outstrips the numbers of motorists being severely injured/killed by cyclists.

The rehabilitation costs to the community when cyclists are injured are huge.
Yet the only solution anyone want to look at is making life harder for cyclists; heaven forbid motorists might have to change their attitudes.

The cycling haters constantly bang on about bike running red lights (justifying the identification nonsense), whilst completely ignoring the fact that the same small percentage of drivers do exactly the same thing; even though they are completely identifiable.

Licensing riders, and registering bikes isn't going to stop cyclists getting mowed down by inattentive, selfish motorists; nor will it stop the small percentage from putting themselves at risk unnecessarily. This is why Duncan Gay raised this whole pot of bullshit in the first place.

A couple of weeks ago, an idiot woman who sent 50 text messages drove off the road; hit a cyclist & broke his back. Then she sat in her car 200 metres up the street, and didn't even check to see if he was alive.
How would a license and a registration plate have stopped this from occurring? The plate must have some pretty bloody amazing powers.

What this may serve to do; is prompt cyclists to demand a far better set of rules to protect them if they are going to be paying for the "right" to do something they can already do, quite legally.

I posted the solution pages ago (geddit?), separate bike lanes! Not pedestrian/bike share lanes, not crappy bike lanes hanging off the side of a road lane we have here, but separate bike lanes.

dscf4200-2.jpg

dscf4195-2.jpg

081CarryBikeWChildren15.JPG

And of course, something missing around here, RESPECT for others on the road. Law is to give way to cyclist, infrastructure is in place to make it easier to spot cyclists and reduce the risk.

Amsterdam had a massive spike in the number of children who were killed whilst riding bicycles; the law was changed due to massive public pressure and cars were banned from city centres completely.

Really? I drove around Dam square and other areas in the city, heavily restricted of course and very difficult to drive around (thousands of cyclists everywhere). You literally crawl everywhere. Was kinda cool driving on sections of tram lines. If you dropped everyone in Sydney over there, there would be utter chaos and deaths everywhere. An alarming number of people on the roads here aren't 'geared' to drive alone on the road, let alone share it with hundreds of others.

Source: my first hand experiences.

tl;dr- push bike rego is dumb.

• Like 1

here is an interesting article i read a while back on why it would be good for cyclists to pay rego

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/blogs/cycling-tips/why-cyclists-should-pay-for-rego-20100505-uawh.html

I know TAC has a poor reputation amongst motorcyclists due to their policies of influencing VicPol to issue rider-at-fault infringements in an attempt to reduce payouts to claimants. I wouldn't count the TAC as your friend.

• Like 1