SAU Community

Considering V36 Nissan Skyline 370Gt

Hey all,

I currently have a Nissan Dualis on lease and its about to finish up in 3 months so I am looking at gettiing rid of it once the lease ends.

However, I have been looking at what to get, before I was considering the 2.0T Infiniti Q50 that will be released around September and did enjoy driving the car around in Tokyo but I don't think I am willing to spend $60k on an underpowered 2.0T engine that is sourced from Mercedes-Benz.

So I've had a look at the V36 SKyline 370GT, very well priced and I think can got a good one between $28k-33k. But I have a few questions:

- Whats the difference between 370GT, 370GT Type S & SP?

- When looking at buying, what are the things I should look at eg wear n tear, log book servicing etc?

- What is a reasonable mileage on these cars? Been seeing some on carsales averaging at around 40, 000km.

- When buying from a dealer, what will be covered under warranty?

- Is the 370Z in dash system (SatNav, CD player) same as the V36 Skyline?

- How often do they need to be serviced?

Cheers

If you had actually read, there are plenty of threads answering your questions. The search function can find out info on all the questions you have asked. They have all been discussed in detail.

V36 comes in

- Base model - poverty pack...just the car no luxuries.

- P - Premium pack, leather

- S - Sports pack - half leather, paddle shifters (auto), bigger brakes (akebono on the coupes, sports brakes for sedans), (19" on coupes 18" on sedans)

- SP - Sports + Premium

Things to look at....nothing much...pretty much as you will for any other car.

Reasonable mileage...i dont really have an opinion on this one....the lower kms, the more expensive.

I'd import this myself from Japan using Iron Chef or Prestige Motorsports. They are highly respectable and recommended, a lot of the guys on the forum have used their services to secure their pride and joy...other car enthusiast used them...you can go on any import forums and find that they are talked about) . I personally do not like dealers because a lot of these cars sold at dealers have their mileage tampered with (this has been discussed at length...again please read or use search function)

370z dash...again, the whole nav conversion thing has been talked about way too much. Chris from Qld would tell you to get a non-nav non-bose car, he can put a nav system in and you can use the oem screen. Personally the bose system is overrated...

Servicing....Infiniti recommends 6k kms...you can just follow the 370Z service schedules as they have the same engines

and no, you don't get a warranty, don't bother with those 'dealer' warranties either, they are a waste of time and money, they will wiggle out of paying for anything that goes wrong..

As said, buy from a reputable importer, if you must buy from a dealer, have it checked out very very well, as many have the odo wound back, have been a write off, or other nasty things.

I imported a 2007 370GT SP in Silver last year through Iron Chef (Legends!!!!)

I have had it 12 months now and while I love the car to bits, I would sell it if I got the right offer. Only reason for this is that it has a sunroof... I am 6'2" and I have very little headroom with the sunroof installed... That is my only gripe with this beautiful car!! In saying all this, if I did sell it, I would be buying another one straight away, just without a sunroof!!! I even looked into buying a new roof panel from Japan and having it installed... Too hard and too expensive!!!

Dave

I've had a few of the SP's now, and reckon they are a sensational car but....am absolutely bewildered how cruise control is not seen as a 'must have' on cars of such calibre (otherwise).

For me, I'd not get a V36 (or the Crossover - which I am giving thought to) again unless it had cruise, and the right NAVI/sound config for Aus conditions.

I've had a few of the SP's now, and reckon they are a sensational car but....am absolutely bewildered how cruise control is not seen as a 'must have' on cars of such calibre (otherwise).

I agree.. I think it is some sort of 'japanese' thing, they just don't seem to place much priority on cruise control, even the G35 in USA had cruise.. I am assuming all G37s sold here have cruise as standard too..

If you want one setup for Australia, you are going to need to buy the locallys sold product.

The Japanese don't do much long distance driving. It's very expensive due to the tolls, and even on them, the traffic can be horrible.

I'm not too fussed about not having cruise control, but the most annoying part is that Uprev uses the cruise control buttons for their map switching feature...

I imported a 2007 370GT SP in Silver last year through Iron Chef (Legends!!!!)

I have had it 12 months now and while I love the car to bits, I would sell it if I got the right offer. Only reason for this is that it has a sunroof... I am 6'2" and I have very little headroom with the sunroof installed... That is my only gripe with this beautiful car!! In saying all this, if I did sell it, I would be buying another one straight away, just without a sunroof!!! I even looked into buying a new roof panel from Japan and having it installed... Too hard and too expensive!!!

Dave

Holy shit! Boy am I glad I read your post. The sunroof was a must have for me but I'm 6'2 then some.. I had never heard anyone else mention this before? I assume they haven't changed the ride height for later models? I'm going for 2009 & above. Sorry to you mate, I'm sure it would be as annoying as hell. Did you buy the Liquid Platinum (K23) which is the only silver? Can u please post pic for me of the colour. If want to sell Chuck it on Car Sales, they are selling like hot cakes.

For me, I'd not get a V36 (or the Crossover - which I am giving thought to) again unless it had cruise, and the right NAVI/sound config for Aus conditions.

I totally agree about the cruise control. However like Xfuzion said there wouldn't be much need for it in Japan, total different story in the USA. It does suck big time. The only solution I think that is available is to get an aftermarket one through Chris.

As for the Sat Nav, that sucks big time too. I'm still going to get it with it, because I don't want to lose the Bose stereo option. I will just get a portable Sat Nav and hope that in the future someone will crack the software part of it, like the Russian blokes have done with the V35. If any one knows of a four seater coupe that has the same power, looks and build quality for a similar price, let me know.

My car on the dock... Still ridiculously low which has been fixed. As to Cruise Control, I had Chris from Audio Express put it in my car. Factory too!!! He bought a steering wheel from Japan that had the right buttons and then fit it and turned on the existing controls!! The man is a genius!!!

post-9125-0-27367900-1404393201_thumb.jpg

My car on the dock... Still ridiculously low which has been fixed. As to Cruise Control, I had Chris from Audio Express put it in my car. Factory too!!! He bought a steering wheel from Japan that had the right buttons and then fit it and turned on the existing controls!! The man is a genius!!!

attachicon.gif033.jpg

Nice looking ride. So it is K23, colour code? I really like the wheels too, did you keep them? The boot spoiler is nice touch as well, which is what I will be adding. Is it the standard extra option Nissan one, or another make? Also I reckon it looks pretty mean lowered, not to everyone's taste I know. I would love to get Chris to do my Cruise Control, only thing standing in the way is, I live in S.A. Not sure where Iron Chef do their Compliance on the cars coming in?

Also Dave, as I said, the sunroof was high on my list of options, so I'm really disappointed I can't get it due to my height :( if anyone has any ideas on this please let me know. I mentioned it to Troy F, as soon as I read your post. He of course remembered you and your wife and came up with an idea (not sure if he has contacted u?) since you already have the sunroof, he said try the option of lower seat rails. Better & cheaper surely then new roof etc.

Nice looking ride. So it is K23, colour code? I really like the wheels too, did you keep them? The boot spoiler is nice touch as well, which is what I will be adding. Is it the standard extra option Nissan one, or another make? Also I reckon it looks pretty mean lowered, not to everyone's taste I know. I would love to get Chris to do my Cruise Control, only thing standing in the way is, I live in S.A. Not sure where Iron Chef do their Compliance on the cars coming in?

Also Dave, as I said, the sunroof was high on my list of options, so I'm really disappointed I can't get it due to my height :( if anyone has any ideas on this please let me know. I mentioned it to Troy F, as soon as I read your post. He of course remembered you and your wife and came up with an idea (not sure if he has contacted u?) since you already have the sunroof, he said try the option of lower seat rails. Better & cheaper surely then new roof etc.

Horses for courses, I guess. I never cared for cruise control and barely touched it in my cars that do/did have it.

As for the Sat Nav, that sucks big time too. I'm still going to get it with it, because I don't want to lose the Bose stereo option.

Just make sure that you check the stereo is definitely a Bose system at the time of the pre-sale inspection. It is still possible that you can get an SP with sat nav, reverse and side-mirror cameras but the stereo is a Clarion instead of Bose, as was the case with mine.

Yes I agree... Mine KV36 arrived with Bose, but when I was looking at buying it, when the VIN was ran through FAST equivalent it did not show the Bose as it was so far down the list... Behind the 4WS, steering headlamps, self healing paint etc.

There is nothing on the audio unit, to mark it as Bose, as the Bose and non-Bose are the same head unit, it is a Bose speaker system, so you need to look for the Bose logo on the front doors, and the Bose Sub/Subs in the rear shelf..

There is nothing on the audio unit, to mark it as Bose, as the Bose and non-Bose are the same head unit, it is a Bose speaker system, so you need to look for the Bose logo on the front doors, and the Bose Sub/Subs in the rear shelf..

Actually, there are differences between the head units - namely line outputs in place of speaker level outputs, subwoofer output and the +12V remote output for the amp located in the boot. There may be other differences internally but nothing which affected my modifications to the stereo system.

• Like 1

I have looked into lowered seat rails and there are none available, so I looked at having some made and the experts had the seat out and told me there is zero room to lower the seat rails as they are 5mm off the floor as it is.

I am now looking at having the sunroof mechanism removed and the roof lining re-done... Have also looked at selling the car and starting again with Troy and his wife now living over there!!! Same car, just no sunroof and maybe a manual!!!

I kept the wheels although I am not looking forward to replacing the rubber... Quoted $700+ for the rears alone each...

If the car is complianced here in Brisbane, Chris could do it as he works closely with the compliance company. The boot spoiler is the standard extra with the SP version.

Good luck with your search!!!

Actually, there are differences between the head units - namely line outputs in place of speaker level outputs, subwoofer output and the +12V remote output for the amp located in the boot. There may be other differences internally but nothing which affected my modifications to the stereo system.

I stand corrected, but was under the impression that this was controlled by jumper settings in the unit, rather than fundemental differences in the amp sections etc.

But I am correct that there are no markings on the front of the audio unit, given that it is a face plate with the HVAC controls, identifying that the car has a Bose unit. You need to look at the door cards and the rear parcel shelf.

Edited by nickcorr