SAU Community

How Long Should Coil Packs Last?

SargeRX8

Yeah it farts and just won't go. I can push it and it will climb but slowly and extremely rough. Just gave it a little push on the way home, sits on about 10.9 - 12afr when it starts shitting it self. Performance wise sell nice looms, but I am unsure of their quality.

I'm gonna block off the engine and do a 17psi charge on my isolated intake.

I really need advice as to where to go next. I just did another intake pressure test and I am confident there is no boost leak. I put a new set of plugs in and still no dice. The loom looks old but there isn't any damage to any cables. The AFM looks clean.

This could become an expensive procedure. I just don't know what to try and in what order. It could be CAS related. It could be AFM. It could be loom. All those components would cost me nearly $1000 to replace. Hell it could even be the ECU.

My car is modified, with an SS2 turbo, 740cc injectors, 040 pump, Power FC, Z32 AFM.

If I was to replace the coil loom, should I go second hand genuine, aftermarket or brand new?

Just did fuel filter. Grounded my 040 to increase flow. Cleaned the afm with maf cleaner and cleaned up the contacts on the afm and coils. No luck. I can make the car climb to 6 to 7krpm without boosting and its fine in the rom range. As soon as I push my foot down it blap blap and carries on.

So if im driving on light load the car is fine even at high rpm. As soon as I am on boost no good. If I boost up an incline its worse.

My tps is giving good numbers. My wideband is about 10 to 12 afr at wot during the miss. New loom for the coils next. If there is no luck then im taking it to a shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my car back from Unigroup. Running without any issues now. Coil packs were the problem. Has brand new splitfires in it now. Looks like old packs failed, new ones were duds. Had the car retuned too. Feels a whole lot nicer to drive overall. More power on same boost. Issue now is fuel system isn't sufficient to run anymore boost. Next mod is trying to trick up the power to the 040 otherwise I need a new pump!

They must be fakes. The chap who I got them from was more than happy to support the product and offered a full refund but stated his parts are genuine and that he imports them from Japan from Hashim or how ever you spell it, who he suggest are the company who build coils for Nissan and Mitsubishi. He really knew his stuff when I spoke with him and vouched they are genuine. None the less he supports his product and was happy to help.

Hello splitfires, please don't let me down!

I have another question. Unigroup suggested my fuel system was peaking. They said my injectors are good for about 400kw and that the problem is either the fuel pump or the wiring to the fuel pump being insufficient.

What would you guys recommend as a drop in, no dicking around fuel pump? I currently use a Bosch 040 and this is the second Bosch 040 I've had go in this car. Ive also got a Nismo FPR. Could this be of any use to them to increase pressures in the fuel system? I need to find the DIY to beef up the power to the fuel pump.

If you increase pressure, the fuel pump will flow less fuel. As pressure rises, flow drops in a pump. The opposite to injectors.

Either run a pump that flows more or run a surge tank with a bigger feed pump(s).

I thought though that a 040 would be more than capable of flowing enough fuel for 260rwkw. I want to avoid a surge tank as the car is a daily and the smell of fuel in the back would be intolerable.

I can get a 044 and use the 040 as a lift pump and the 044 to feed the injectors but if i can get away without doing that I'd be happy.

So i take it the for wont do any good for me. If that is the case, what drop in is going go provide the greatest flow and life? I was looking at the nismo drop in. The other option would be a walbro 255 since these are proven oerformers. I want to try something new from the bosch pumps since 3 have failed on me in both my cars.

Edited by SargeRX8

Some say fuel lines tend to weep and since the boot in the bay isn't sealed the smell from weeping lines can get into the cabin. Ive got a small surge tank at home.ill get a 044 and wire up a surge tank and build a fail safe light on the lift pump