SAU Community

Lowest Compression On Rb25?

hairdryer33

If it's a stock cam Rb25det, 120 is way low, must be very poor when driving off boost.

I'd think hard about doing it up as opposed to buying a 2nd hand engine, something coming with a compression test at least.

Unless you're dead set on building up an engine, you'll quickly find parts and labour costs will exceed the cost of a replacement.

Have you tried another gauge? Maybe that one just reads low?

I agree with Johnny. If it's still running well just keep flogging it. A stock replacement engine is cheap enough.

Have you tried another gauge? Maybe that one just reads low?

I agree with Johnny. If it's still running well just keep flogging it. A stock replacement engine is cheap enough.

Damn straight, that's what I'm doing with my 400 000km motor, seems to like getting thrash at the track too.

23 psi seems like a good number lol

• Like 2

Two different gauges, im thinking a 2nd hand engine soon. Timing is not out. Its sluggish down low but puuls ok 80kmh onwards.

is this based on experience with other RB25's with similar setup or just your feel on this as the first RB25 you have driven?

Nonetheless, 120 is pretty low. Needs more boost to compensate ;)

Incidentally how many k's on the clock?

I would still check cam timing. People make mistakes.

I recall Stao from Hypergear having his cam timing out after a mechanic installed cams to his car.

Doesn't take much to check.

ideally you would do a leakdown test. Alternatively you can just squirt a little oil in the cylinders and see if the compression comes up - that indicates that its rings rather than valves.

And do pull the cover off and check the cam timing.

Yes heaps of people are driving tired engines. The main thing is that the compression readings are close together as yours are. Are you using heaps of oil? Your car could go for years (or not).