SAU Community

Near Stock R32 Gtr And $20g. What Would You Do?

Ok, the thread title was just to get you here. But its my real situation. Being in the USA, there isn't a huge knowledge base of these cars. But it is out there. I just like to see what people that have had years of time and experience would recommend since they have first hand experience. Been their and done that. I have done lots of research and have a pretty good idea of what I will want done. But I just wanted to run things by you guys and see if maybe "x" is a waste of time/money and would be better spent on "x" instead.

I have a pretty extensive rb25det 240sx build full of some pretty rare and above the average parts. If you care to see and maybe get a little back ground. http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=536392 Now that my dream car is legal in the USA, I bought one. It is not legal until June of this year. So it is in Japan still. I am going to have it thoroughly checked out and built up while it is still in japan. I have about $20,000 saved up as of now to dump into this thing. Could be more as work goes on etc since I have a few months to go before it will arrive.

Here is the car.

Work was done at HKS kansai service

1990 BNR32 GTR build. 88,900 km (this is how I bought it) RB26DETT

Fujitsubo Legalis-R Evolution Exhaust,

HKS Iridium Plugs,

HKS Hipermax-II Coilovers,

HKS Kansai Lower Brace Bar Set,

HKS Kansai Front Tower Bar,

Nismo Air Filter

Nismo Front Arms,

Nismo Rear Arms,

Nismo Shift Knob,

Nismo Floor Mats,

Acre Brake Pads,

Rays TE37 Wheels (17x9+22),

Carrozerria Audio,

Panasonic ETC

I have already bought a Power FC L-jetro.

KyLFj7v.jpg

2hgJpOu.jpg

WWaVmmA.jpg

HHKrbPx.jpg

sRNmqVW.jpg

Ebk5tBs.jpg

MUjcxf1.jpg

7CsM7hG.jpg

01UIoBS.jpg

bDhQ66s.jpg

pM5qoXs.jpg

CTsmbiQ.jpg

Now I am looking to keep this a street car but can have fun on a track when needed. First things would be to have the car gone through and have any old or worn out items replaced/upgraded. I mean anything. Next I am thinking to have the engine refreshed maybe with forged bottom end. Mainly for peace of mind since I am going to go for a 450 hp-ish build. I'll really let the tuning shop have input on what a safe direction would be. Car is currently at Avance getting a "quote". I'm sure you all remember their 8 second yellow monster.

Here is what I'm thinking at this point if most things check out to be ok. (I am a nismo freak), all of this is if money allows, will really depend on what all is needed first to make a nice reliable car. Then extra cash can go towards some of the more fun bolt on's etc if it allows. Mainly just trying to get most of the mechanical stuff done before it gets here. I can do suspension and body work, easy wrench turning things. I'm no mechanic though.

All fluids changed

worn hoses/lines replaced etc

Nismo fuel pump, FPR and injectors

Twin nismo AFM

Modified stock intake pipe

-9, r34 N1, or HKS GT-SS turbos

Turbo elbows and front pipe...........wouldn't mind some recommendations. (I like titanium).

Oil issues taken care of (crank collar etc) "If" I do a block rebuild should be taken care of.

Nismo oil pan baffle

Nismo oil catch

Nismo oil cooler with FRP duct

Nismo timing belt

OEM idler/tensioner pulleys

N1 water pump

Nismo or N1 oil pump?

Nismo front and rear differentials

Should I have transfer case work done?

Nismo coppermix twin plate clutch and clutch line. Should I do the slave to or no? Heard both ways.

Now if money allows etc.

Nismo intercooler and piping

nismo intake manifold

maybe some mild headwork/cams

adjustable cam gears.

Brake upgrades

Nismo radiator/swirl pot

suspension things

cool nismo knick knacks (speedo etc).

maybe an attessa controller of some sort.

Also, I have a few things here already that I will be putting on the car.

Advan RG originals (look brand new!!!) 18x9.5 +12, wondering what good tire size would be for these? I like some meaty tires! If I need to fender roll, that is no biggie.

5nGUYAt.jpg

pZErOad.jpg

Also would like to get custom reliped and barreled to maybe the same sizes as the advans. Should look and fit ok right?

Panasport G7 C5C2-SP 107-3 style. They are 18x8.5 +35 and 18x9.5 +38 currently.

TAe3TWS.jpg

BADSdCu.jpg

2 of these seats and I already have the recaro slider rails for them.

hHXPad1.jpg

Then a few other little nismo knick knacks I have laying around.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks for looking. Check out my other build thread linked above for other cool parts!

*You will need injectors,

*get rid of the power fc cause there are much better ecu available now,

*get rid of the n1 pumps as the oil pumps are a time bomb waiting to break and the water pumps cause over heating in traffic

*adjustable cam gears should be one of the things at the top of the list

*dont worry about the crank collar till you rebuild the engine

*the dump pipes find the biggest bellmouth ones you can and run them, also jap exhaust tend to have restrictors in them and custom made exhausts end up flowing a hell of a lot better

Quaife front and rear diffs with a tightened transfer case and nismo tein plate..

Tbh man the thing looks really nice, I'd be tempted to leave it..

If and when you do modify it, try to keep it nice standard looking.. Don't go tearing it apart, especially the engine bay and interior

• Like 2

*You will need injectors,

*get rid of the power fc cause there are much better ecu available now,

*get rid of the n1 pumps as the oil pumps are a time bomb waiting to break and the water pumps cause over heating in traffic

*adjustable cam gears should be one of the things at the top of the list

*dont worry about the crank collar till you rebuild the engine

*the dump pipes find the biggest bellmouth ones you can and run them, also jap exhaust tend to have restrictors in them and custom made exhausts end up flowing a hell of a lot better

*Have injectors on the list along with the fuel pump etc.

*I'm just going to go with the power FC since I already have it and got it for 600 with the commander. A lot of the japan tuners are familiar with it also.

*Yea the pumps are something I am not to clear on. I didn't know that about the N1 water pump though. That is good to hear. What pump would you recommend? Is the nismo oil pump ok? Again not looking for a super hardcore build. 450 hp would probably be the max I go. For the price the nismo seems reasonable for my needs. The N1 oil pumps I have heard mixed reviews on. I heard that there was a bad batch and that is how they got such a bad rep? It seems that mines, nismo, and few other shops that offer refresh/crate motors still use N1 pumps.

*I will throw the cam gears as a priority, its not like they are super expensive.

*Yea I guess I will wait for Avance's advice on the quality of the motor. I would think it would be pretty solid in its current form since the rest of the car is pretty well maintained. They told me it pulled pretty hard still for a stock setup.

*The HPI dumps seem to be the biggest I can find. I am going to leave the current Fujitsubo on unless money says otherwise. I can always change an exhaust here in the states as I'm not a total noob to turning wrenches. I want it basically catless and no restrictions at all since we have no emissions laws where I'm at. Then again, it might be smarter to have it like that when they tune it also.

Quaife front and rear diffs with a tightened transfer case and nismo tein plate..

Tbh man the thing looks really nice, I'd be tempted to leave it..

If and when you do modify it, try to keep it nice standard looking.. Don't go tearing it apart, especially the engine bay and interior

I have heard of quaife but havent really used any of their products. Trying to keep it as nismo as I can.

I plan on leaving this pretty well stock looking. Especially in the engine bay. It's one of the only cars that looks perfect stock IMO. At the very most I would try to find genuine nismo body parts if I was to change the look. I know for sure I want the front "nismokudo vents" or whatever they are called lol and the hood top moll. Possibly some sort of front diffuser, but that doesn't change the look to much at all.

that car looks mint!

The whole reason I bought it. It was so dang clean. I said it was now or never. I think it is one owner and garage kept. The company I went through said it was one of the cleanest they had ever seen (in todays standards). It was bought from globa lauto through a importer.

Thank you guys for the replies. Also, kind of a weird question. The original global auto add said this.(google translate)

"I will now introduce car,

will be the introduction of super superb Gentle tune BNR32 Skyline GT-R.

Car, your basic normal vehicle, underbody and muffler, by car which has been enhanced such as Roaburesuba to tower bar and basic part only, also like to start the bottom around the condition of the interior and exterior with no very clean rust is a car.

Also running in real running is your car that can examine your in peace has been made ​​also regular maintenance. It should be noted that your car is a rare Early Type lightweight model.

◇ ◆ ◇ of your car details and other details ◇ ◆ ◇ □ ☆ ★ ☆ car details ☆ ★ ☆ □ year June Heisei two years car name Skyline GT-R grade standard car color gun gray metallic traveling 80871KM repair without calendar main key equipped □ ☆ ★ ☆ other details ☆ ★ ☆ □ other details HKS hyper MAXⅡ car harmonic KIT NISMO suspension link front upper link Kansai Service Roaburesuba SET Kansai service front tower bar FUJITSUBO Regalis R Evolution muffler VOLK TE37 9J-17 + 22 Carrozzeria CD audio PANASONIC ETC NISMO floor mat NISMO shift knob"

What does the highlighted part in red mean? I don't know much about all the variants of the GTR's.

Edited by JTCC

Leave both the standard water and oil pumps in there until you build the engine and then look at a tomei or nitto oil pump. But still leave the standard water pump in there

It should be noted that your car is a rare Early Type lightweight model.

What does the highlighted part in red mean? I don't know much about all the variants of the GTR's.

It means...........

Series 1 cars from 8/1989 till 8/1991 weighed 1430 kgs. The series two cars from there after weighed 1480 kgs with the addition of side intrusion bars in the doors and a few other additions accounting for the extra 50kgs.

On a different note, I am very interested to know how much interest is being created in these car since being allowed to be imported.

The USA is a potential massive market that could swallow up available cars very quickly.

Do these cars have a strong following or is the fact that they are all right hand drive a turn off to most?

Cheers,

Bob.

• Like 1

It means...........

Series 1 cars from 8/1989 till 8/1991 weighed 1430 kgs. The series two cars from there after weighed 1480 kgs with the addition of side intrusion bars in the doors and a few other additions accounting for the extra 50kgs.

On a different note, I am very interested to know how much interest is being created in these car since being allowed to be imported.

The USA is a potential massive market that could swallow up available cars very quickly.

Do these cars have a strong following or is the fact that they are all right hand drive a turn off to most?

Cheers,

Bob.

Thank you Bob!!! Very cool to know. The r32 GTR or GTR in general has a very high interest here. This is world wide known car. We have had to wait 25 years to get. There have been quite a few imported that I know of on the internet and I'm sure many more that are not internet users or maybe "lurkers". The problem over here is that you almost have to pay cash to get one. As its hard to get a bank to give you a loan for a 25 year old japanese car that they have never even heard of lol. Being that they are not that expensive in a literal sense (i got mine for under 20k) its not hard for almost anyone with a decent income to afford one. I would imagine only the true enthusiasts are getting them that will want to put up with the headaches of a 25 year old car. But being that rb26's have been being swapped into 240's for a while now, the parts availability is here and there are plenty of shops that know how to work on these cars. People have been importing them "illegally" for sometime now. It's a grey area really. The Feds can seize them if they don't have proper paper work. But you can import a car as a track car or show car only and still be legal. But if you get caught on the road with it, bad things can happen. There are r33's, r34's and s15's over here already. Also the right hand drive thing is an attraction. People have been converting USDM 240sx to right hand drive using the firewalls that come with the front clips of their sr20.

I have also heard that AMS has imported a r32 to use in time attack. Not sure if its rumor or true. We shall see.

Edited by JTCC

But you can import a car as a track car or show car only and still be legal

This isn't actually true.

For a race car to be imported permanently it has to be originally built as a race car by the manufacturer. You can't put a roll cage in your Civic and call it a track car.

Furthermore for it to be show&display it has to be on the show&display list. Only 53 cars are on that list...about half of them are already 25 years old. Even if they are on the list they are still not EPA compliant (it only exempts from them FMVSS) and the EPA exemption doesn't happen until 21 years. If they are not 21 years old then a RI or ICI have to do the testing and modifications to make them EPA compliant. There is no one who can do this for any model of Skyline currently. Also, post-96 will require OBDII to meet EPA requirements, even though no Skyline has OBDII. The cost to convert one to OBDII would be about $1,000,000 US dollars based on the required testing, patents, R&D, and manufacturing/installation/certification.

So again, the reality is that cars less than 25 years old (or less than 21 years old if on show&display) CANNOT be imported into the United States on a permanent basis.

Furthermore, to even get on show&display, one of the requirements is less than 500 units have to have been produced. Hence why the list is so small compared to the Australian list.

The reality of the situation is that almost all cars less than 25 years old cannot be imported on a permanent basis legally at all, regardless of intended use (road, track, display, doesn't matter and CBP/ICE don't care).

​Foreign nationals may import non-compliant cars legally for ONE YEAR only. They must be exported at the end of the year.

Source: I import cars to the US.

PS Whatever you do, get rid of the HKS plugs pronto and install Nismo (NGK) ones instead.

Edited by Matvei27

2hgJpOu.jpg

- That is once clean ass R32 GTR! :thumbsup:

Mainly for peace of mind since I am going to go for a 450 hp-ish build.

All fluids changed - Good

worn hoses/lines replaced etc - Good

Nismo fuel pump, FPR and injectors - Good

Twin nismo AFM - Good

Modified stock intake pipe - No need for 450 HP (335 kW's at the Rear Wheels).

-9, r34 N1, or HKS GT-SS turbos - I'd say you would have to go for Garrett -9's or HKS GT-SS to get to the power you want as R34 GTR N1 = Garrett -7's).

Turbo elbows and front pipe...........wouldn't mind some recommendations. (I like titanium). - You could but not really needed for the power you want.

Oil issues taken care of (crank collar etc) "If" I do a block rebuild should be taken care of.

Nismo oil pan baffle - Good

Nismo oil catch - Good

Nismo oil cooler with FRP duct - Good

Nismo timing belt - Good

OEM idler/tensioner pulleys - Good

N1 water pump - Good, if you mechanic knows how to set it up right.

Nismo or N1 oil pump? - Good, if you mechanic knows how to set it up right.

Nismo front and rear differentials - Not really needed unless it needs replacing.

Should I have transfer case work done? - Not really needed unless it needs replacing or if you mechanic knows a few neat tricks to modify it.

Nismo coppermix twin plate clutch and clutch line. - Good

Should I do the slave to or no? Heard both ways. - Only if it needs replacing but while you are there, you might as well get it done when you change the clutch.

Now if money allows etc.

Nismo intercooler and piping - Good for looks but no need for the power you want.

nismo intake manifold - Good for looks but no need for the power you want.

maybe some mild headwork/cams - Good

adjustable cam gears. - Good

Brake upgrades - Good

Nismo radiator/swirl pot - Good

suspension things - Good

cool nismo knick knacks (speedo etc). - Good

maybe an attesa e-ts controller of some sort. - Good

Also, I have a few things here already that I will be putting on the car.

Advan RG originals (look brand new!!!) 18x9.5 +12, wondering what good tire size would be for these? I like some meaty tires! If I need to fender roll, that is no biggie.

Also would like to get custom reliped and barreled to maybe the same sizes as the advans. Should look and fit ok right?

Panasport G7 C5C2-SP 107-3 style. They are 18x8.5 +35 and 18x9.5 +38 currently.

- I prefer the TE37's you have on the car at the moment but the Panasports G7 would also be a nice choice.

2 of these seats and I already have the recaro slider rails for them. - Nice and old school :)

hHXPad1.jpg

This isn't actually true.

For a race car to be imported permanently it has to be originally built as a race car by the manufacturer. You can't put a roll cage in your Civic and call it a track car.

Furthermore for it to be show&display it has to be on the show&display list. Only 53 cars are on that list...about half of them are already 25 years old. Even if they are on the list they are still not EPA compliant (it only exempts from them FMVSS) and the EPA exemption doesn't happen until 21 years. If they are not 21 years old then a RI or ICI have to do the testing and modifications to make them EPA compliant. There is no one who can do this for any model of Skyline currently. Also, post-96 will require OBDII to meet EPA requirements, even though no Skyline has OBDII. The cost to convert one to OBDII would be about $1,000,000 US dollars based on the required testing, patents, R&D, and manufacturing/installation/certification.

So again, the reality is that cars less than 25 years old (or less than 21 years old if on show&display) CANNOT be imported into the United States on a permanent basis.

Furthermore, to even get on show&display, one of the requirements is less than 500 units have to have been produced. Hence why the list is so small compared to the Australian list.

The reality of the situation is that almost all cars less than 25 years old cannot be imported on a permanent basis legally at all, regardless of intended use (road, track, display, doesn't matter and CBP/ICE don't care).

​Foreign nationals may import non-compliant cars legally for ONE YEAR only. They must be exported at the end of the year.

Source: I import cars to the US.

PS Whatever you do, get rid of the HKS plugs pronto and install Nismo (NGK) ones instead.

that is interesting. People must get away with it pretty easy. I know someone that has had a r34 gtst for over a decade now. The cars have been here for a while. It's not like they are common, but they are here. I just wouldn't of wanted to take the risk before everything is 100% legal. I have heard of cars being seized by the feds and crushed lol. Not sure if it's entirely true, but the "legend" is out there. I've seen a few r32 gtr over the years and a rb28 r33. But I think he might have had some kind of military thing going on or something. Had european plates on it.

Just use ngk coppers

I expect all bnr32 parts to become very expensive very shortly.

Yea I usually just use NGK. I wouldn't think they would get to expensive. I'm sure the cars themselves are marked up higher than average since they are legal now and a slight demand. Simple economics. But I wouldn't think the mad rush is so strong that parts prices would go up across the board. Maybe some vendors over here will start to import r32 parts in stock and have a slight mark up. But I usually get all my stuff from japan as it is anyways.

OOskylineOO

thanks for the input. Yea the intake and intercooler are mostly for looks. But also just in case I want to go for a little more power in the future. I'm shooting for 450ish for now. Need to drive and get used to the car. Don't want to jump into some monster of a car and risk destroying this thing. It's my baby lol. Probably wont get to much road time since I travel way to much for my job. (pipe welder). I like the te37 on their to. They seem to flow well with the color of the car in the pics. I have heard a lot of people say that 17's are good for track since tires are cheaper etc. So I will keep them for that reason. But my favorite wheel of all time for a gtr is the Advan RG. I don't know why. My dream was to have them on a black GTR. But begger's cant be choosers. I really like the c5c2 because they look like the stock wheels just with some lip. It will be nice to add the te37 to the collection

olz8gnu.jpg

MESoPu7.jpg

• Like 1

Yea I usually just use NGK. I wouldn't think they would get to expensive. I'm sure the cars themselves are marked up higher than average since they are legal now and a slight demand. Simple economics. But I wouldn't think the mad rush is so strong that parts prices would go up across the board. Maybe some vendors over here will start to import r32 parts in stock and have a slight mark up. But I usually get all my stuff from japan as it is anyways.

- Coppers are good, just change them every 10,000km's (6,213 miles)

OOskylineOO

thanks for the input. Yea the intake and intercooler are mostly for looks. But also just in case I want to go for a little more power in the future. I'm shooting for 450ish for now.

- No worries and sounds good :thumbsup:

Need to drive and get used to the car. Don't want to jump into some monster of a car and risk destroying this thing. It's my baby lol. Probably wont get to much road time since I travel way to much for my job. (pipe welder).

- I'd say that's the best way about it, get use to the power then modify it to how you want it.

I like the te37 on their to. They seem to flow well with the color of the car in the pics. I have heard a lot of people say that 17's are good for track since tires are cheaper etc. So I will keep them for that reason.

- Yeah for R32 GTR, the TE37's do flow nice in Silver or White as well.

- That's correct, just stick to the 17's and the sizing and offset is good, I too have the same.

But my favorite wheel of all time for a gtr is the Advan RG. I don't know why. My dream was to have them on a black GTR. But begger's cant be choosers. I really like the c5c2 because they look like the stock wheels just with some lip. It will be nice to add the te37 to the collection

olz8gnu.jpg

MESoPu7.jpg

- Oh nice! Yes the TE37's will add nicely to your collection.

- The reason also why I like the Panasports G7's, is that they look like R32 GTR stock wheels but bigger, better sizing and deep lip :D

that is interesting. People must get away with it pretty easy. I know someone that has had a r34 gtst for over a decade now. The cars have been here for a while. It's not like they are common, but they are here. I just wouldn't of wanted to take the risk before everything is 100% legal. I have heard of cars being seized by the feds and crushed lol. Not sure if it's entirely true, but the "legend" is out there. I've seen a few r32 gtr over the years and a rb28 r33. But I think he might have had some kind of military thing going on or something. Had european plates on it.

There is no exemption for military. If a foreign national (i.e. holder of a non-US passport) wants they can ship their car here and have it temporarily here for ONE year only. After the end of the year they need to export it again and they are not allowed to sell the car while here.

There are some legal Skylines from the RI Motorex (when they were still around) but they have a bond release and hence are 100% federally legal.

They are significantly more expensive to buy than smuggled cars.

I should point out that filing a false customs declaration is a felony, as is performing a VIN swap. In addition to getting your car seized and crushed, the other consequences are much worse. Jail time. Some guy recently went to jail for smuggling a S15.

Yes, the feds regularly seize and crush illegally imported vehicles. The biggest culprits are Defenders, Minis, and Skylines.

Edited by Matvei27

so basically anything that is not 25 years old is illegal? Unless its on the show and display list which is basically cars that super super super expensive and made less 500 of. I know bill gates had something to do with that getting that passed. Or there is the race car thing, which you have to have the original manufacturer say that it was a car built for racing only. So any s15 silvia, r33, r34 is pretty much illegal.

Edited by JTCC

My 2 cents of advice.

Suspension, bushings and brakes, maybe some R34 GTR rims, full service as well including timing belt, all oils and fluids.

Keep the spare cash for when it breaks.

I'd start off with a full once over over the car. Change all fluids and replace all worn bushes.

If the motor is healthy leave it.

Go with a set of -9's (GT-SS) and a decent exhaust. Cam gears, injectors, fuel pump, afm's & a tune should get you close to 450hp.

Other than that, a good set of tyres and maybe modify the transfer case for some better 4wd action.

Some nice brakes too if you plan to track the car and have some spare cash.

i would swap out amfs for a haltec for an extra $1000 then you have all the safety sensors for the older engine and a better tune.

i would swap out amfs for a haltec for an extra $1000 then you have all the safety sensors for the older engine and a better tune.

I'd probably do the same thing but since the OP already had the Power FC I thought he might want to stick with it.

There are plenty of better ECU's out there but there is nothing wrong with the old Power FC.