SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread - 15.0

R31Nismoid

All comes down to having clear goals at start of year. If the weekend work enables you to achieve your KPI/goals then its a tough situation as it can be used towards/against you at your performance review.

Weekend work tends to be classed as 'development opportunity' or as evidence in showing the right behaviours towards the business. (which again could be a factor in your performance review)

My boss told me from the beginning that if you want to achieve an "above expectations" ranking you would need to work on breaks if required. Days in lieu offered though.

The many differences & challenges between a job & a 'career'...

What sucks about this is the risk vs return. Have seen so many people put in that effort, myself included, only to see it not recognised when you need it (during pay review, or if you fk up etc.) or put you no further ahead of others when it comes to promotion.

It's a bit or a rort really and many larger companies thrive on it - IBM for example employ a shitload of graduates with the premise of career building so you're on the boiler room floor all trying to compete for the team leader position and out do each other in productivity. Double work output for IBM from many of their staff and they only have to promote one person at the end of the day.

so lets slip you interviewing and thinking of leaving...that could only end well

Have not heard the rest of Simon's story...

But if I were actually leaving I would give these guys buggerall notice. Would give up the good reference just for the satisfaction of knowing they would see what gets done without me putting in my extra curricular shit and picking up the slack of DMs unrealistic expectations. He has openly admitted he drives us harder than any other department in the company yet the recognition isn't there.

All comes down to having clear goals at start of year. If the weekend work enables you to achieve your KPI/goals then its a tough situation as it can be used towards/against you at your performance review.

Weekend work tends to be classed as 'development opportunity' or as evidence in showing the right behaviours towards the business. (which again could be a factor in your performance review)

My boss told me from the beginning that if you want to achieve an "above expectations" ranking you would need to work on breaks if required. Days in lieu offered though.

The many differences & challenges between a job & a 'career'...

This is true. We allow pretty much all the OT you want to claim as long as you are meeting your KPI's and the OT is for new lending getting approved, not housekeeping.

If I took up all the overtime on offer I could literally double my pay, we have some people that do. But with Kids you have to work out what's best for them too

Actually getting the TIL isn't so much an issue for me as taking the TIL and giving my DM the perception that I'm unpassionate / not a team player / unprofessional / not willing to put in the hard yards. A colleague in the same department as me concurred something similar and knocked back the work from the GM - he's scared to ask for sick leave let alone TIL, because our DM has these expectations that unless you're dying you should be working, you should arrive at work before the expected start time and stay long after the expected home time etc. and that your weekends should be spent thinking about work.

We really need an HR - there's not one person who has anything nice to say about my DM and most of these people do not work directly for him like we do. Company wide reputation as a bully.

Don't bother with HR, just be straight with him and let him respect you based on that. Be strong and tell him you are taking the TIL on x date and that you are giving plenty of notice to ensure things are taken care of.

so lets slip you interviewing and thinking of leaving...that could only end well

POTW

could be worse. you could be chef again.

Oh I'm not complaining at all. I love my role and I feel i get paid well for it, especially as my department is seen as the talent pool for Business Bank Managers which is really good money.

I'm only now earning more than when I was running kitchens but I only work half the hours... sitting down...

actually from that I would be interviewing and moving on.

hostile environment plus that nah bugger that.

either that or knock off your DM and get his job (and ask for a pay raise over him)

My workplace is a terrible environment right now. It was one of the largest privately owned companies in the country, now owned by an ASX200 company. We have retained all the downsides of a private company (no HR, limited career path, no share buy in etc.) and acquired all the downsides of a public company (endless policy/bureaucracy, lessened job security, KPIs, responsibility to shareholders, across the board incremental pay rises based solely on profit, forced company culture, formal training, endless extra bullshit on top of your existing workload without remuneration for it).

Not many happy people here right now, but almost all are family men and/or mortgage payers so can't leave easily.

Interestingly, DM is quite obviously vying for GM position (GM will be leaving in a year or so), so there will be an opening for DM but I already know who that's going to be so no point trying for it.

Meanwhile, and Pat may disagree with this tactic, but I'm slowly spreading this negativity throughout my workplace like a virus...manifesting job dissatisfaction and alternative career paths in other people's heads (asking what they'd do if they left etc.) in the hope of wiping out my competition for role promotions.

Meanwhile, and Pat may disagree with this tactic, but I'm slowly spreading this negativity throughout my workplace like a virus...manifesting job dissatisfaction and alternative career paths in other people's heads (asking what they'd do if they left etc.) in the hope of wiping out my competition for role promotions.

PNBF707.jpg

Don't bother with HR, just be straight with him and let him respect you based on that. Be strong and tell him you are taking the TIL on x date and that you are giving plenty of notice to ensure things are taken care of.

Like I said, getting the TIL isn't the issue - I could take 4 weeks leave next week and there's nothing my DM could do about it. But accepting TIL makes me look bad to my DM because he doesn't believe in it himself. He's the kind of person who says "you should do x on the weekend, I can't make you and you don't have to, but I think it would be good for you to do it etc."

Obviously you're not going to say no if you're chasing promotions and a career path at the company and not content with staying in the same position on the same salary for the rest of your days here.

I only wish we had HR so that they could amass the 30+ complaints I've heard from people about my DM.

I generally don't take shit from him when he's bullying and have stood up to him before - sometimes it works out well and sometimes it doesn't. He's backed down before but is bipolar and autistic (no joke), so it's rolling the dice.

If this guy becomes our GM I'm not sure I'd stay or if it'd even be worth trying for his old role and working under him.

Sounds like you aint happy man, get on seek and get something else.

I'll be hitting up the boss for a payrise after 6 month probationary period.. think I'm worth more than what I get at the moment I'm always the one getting chosen to go onsite and represent the company out of the team

Edited by UNR33L
  • Like 1

Sounds like you aint happy man, get on seek and get something else.

I'll be hitting up the boss for a payrise after 6 month probationary period.. think I'm worth more than what I get at the moment I'm always the one getting chosen to go onsite and represent the company out of the team

http://download.lardlad.com/sounds/season13/hunka19.mp3

Nah I'm not happy and my ear is to the ground for anything better, amongst other potential entrepreneurial pursuits...

But it pays bills and the longer I stay the better my CV looks. Marketing is also a pigeonholing mofo of a career - difficult to get out of a particular industry because experience sought after by an advertised role is usually quite specific to that industry. Because of this, you generally either find another role in the same industry you are in (eliminating 95% of advertised roles), or start from the bottom now my whole team here...in some newbie role and competing with grads.

I'm also genuinely curious to stick around and see what happens in the aftermath of the take over, who leaves or doesn't, if DM gets GM role and then everyone loses their shit when they have to work under him and not just with him. It's interesting times.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do work wise Birds..

.... but more best of luck in trying to beat me ahuehuehue

2015-10-30%2020.48.10.jpg

For some reason I thought you had a 32R

That's a nice looking scythe

You know I'd prolly still give you a go in my GTS-T and hope that you lunch another box after 100km/h lol

Alright VWL

Another Birds dilemma

You go to the toilet

Do you take

A. The cubicle that looks like a nuclear shitbomb has gone off with a smell to match

Or

B. The cubicle where someone has mistaken the entire seat for a urinal and decided that flushing and a dry floor is a privelege and not a right