SAU Community

Head Port Size, Velocity Vs Horsepower

A few Japanese mobs did the two small inlet ports per pot with a butterfly valve to close off one at lower revs/loads . Toyotas was TVIS in early 4AGEs but they like Nissan with early RB20s went away from that idea .

With production engines inc turbo ones the manufacturer does everything possible to maximise the part throttle torque because again that's the state all roads car engines are in most of the time . It goes beyond port velocities to things like combustion efficiencies , in the turbo Neo 25s case Nissan kept the same static compression ratio using a smaller capacity chamber and a lower middle section on the piston crowns . Burning efficiency goes up meaning less fuel for the same heat and the ability to create better heat and therefore higher cylinder pressures at lower revs than an R33 spec R25 can . They obviously found ways to reduce detonation around the torque peak without retarding the ignition timing to the same degree . The extra torque at lower revs would be why they used better R26 rods to withstand greater compressive loads .

Because the engine was making better torque at lower revs they could afford to use a slightly larger turbine housing , which they had from the VG30 single BB turbo anyway , to slightly reduce exhaust restriction which again improves burning efficiency from less reversion pollution .

There comes a time when the turbo needs to boost to make wider throttle torque for greater acceleration or pulling power ie hill climbing . Once you fit larger turbos the boost threshold rises revs wise and you get a gap between engine alone torque and boosted state torque . To get that back you have to find efficiencies the manufacturer couldn't or wouldn't use or increase the engines capacity . Really the only things that generally work are less timing retard from reduced restrictions (eg exhaust) , higher octane rated fuels (eg 98 ULP and or Ethanol) , higher static compression ratios (provided you can beat detonation) , or the capacity increase .

I don't think the gains are there from porting an R33 spec RB25 head . I think everything you do to them is aimed at increasing the engines state of tune and that means extra flow potential at higher revs . I think the way to go with a street R25DET is to do as Nissan did with their Neo version , it costs lots of money to develop production engines at manufacturer level and if they could have got the desired result with simpler changes they would have .

I also like someone's standard parts where possible because someone else did the hard expensive yards to develop them . This includes heads and pistons . I said before if I ever went inside my 33 25T it would get Neo rods pistons and head . The inlet manifold system stays optional but I would stand to gain the greater part of what Nissan did with a bolt in package that keeps the original engine number . In basic terms all you have to cater to is the different CAS wiring if you use the original inlet manifold etc .

In the end most Japanese performance engines from the 1980s-90s didn't make it too far past 2000 . The RBs the SRs the CAs etc were all finished and I think even the 4G63T only went to 2006 , that had a new MiVec head for the 9s only which would have been expensive .

Basically the latest/last revision of most engines is the cheapest and best way to go . You would not use a Red Top NICS RB20DET if you could get your hands on the later R32 GTST version . I doubt there's anything positive a GTS25T engine can do that a GTt one can't do better . Given a choice its always going to be a better basis standard or modified .

A .

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• So, after talking to Tyson at Auto Tech Engineering about my "cunning plan", he suggested to "not piss money away on stuff that the car probably doesn't need" (the max IAT at the end of the 1/4 ever only seen around 30°C, which is in no way a issue, and as such, for what I use the car for I really don't need colder IAT anyway The whole point of the "upgrades" that I thought about doing was that my IAT started creeping up from 25°C to 30°C when cruising, then drop back down, then raise back up, rinsing and repeating, it has never done that before, so after talking to FI interchillers they assumed that it was the Bosch pump starting to fail, and if I was going to replace the pump....... I would do my usual thing of "while where in there" But, Tyson said he has seen similar things happen to IAT with failing or leaking AC compressors on other cars with interchillers, and as the AC compressor is 22 years old it is probably well on the way out anyway, and if a electric water pump fails it stays failed and doesn't just speed up and slow dow, but if a AC compressor starts to fail or is leaking, it will fluctuate and give a typical result to the IAT He said he could test the compressor and see how it is functioning and pressure test the whole system, but, as I do, I've just got them to order a new compressor to install to start with, and do a AC service and see if that fixes the issue That way, if it is the compressor, I wouldn't be spending lots of coin on something that wasn't the issue, and not actually needed, as the stage 2 kit, and pump, comes in at around $2k in parts alone, not including the plumbing and other parts that will be required or labour  And apparently the Bosch pump I have is really reliable and well up to task for the flow/pressure requirements that I need to keep my intercooler and massive amounts of boost heat (7 psi LOL) under control giving a nice and cold IAT A big shout out to Tyson for this, not many people will talk a idiot out of wasting money on car modifications, and the saved car budget funding can be wasted elsewhere on things that I may, or may not, need, like a nice new leather SS interior with red stitching......maybe I can convince the Minister for War and Finances into a nice trip down to Victoria for a week away to see the sights (I'll explain that I will need a hire car once we're down there so we don't have to worry about the Commodore being parked up on the streets at night, and it just so happens there's a joint that I can store it during that time) $1680 for all of the interior trims, + installation cost (I'll ask for a quote to install the trim if the new compressor fixes the issue)   https://leatherseats.com.au/products/leather-seats-trim-skins-kit-to-fit-vt-vx-vy-ser1-ss-green-black-diy-install  
    • Anyone here know the answer?....missing since the w/e...
    • Google tells me that's a Japanese Rat Snake... 2m long? Man I think Australia has traumatised me to think all snakes are dangerous unless they're pythons. Also... "16 years later..." is that a record on SAU @PranK?
    • Yep, I really miss mine. I dont, however, miss it's understeer. Hard to find a genuine 'Sport' model these days. That sounds awesome! Good fun and great result!  I'd love to do a 1/4 in mine now that its reasonably healthy with the tune. I last did a run in my white GTR, I think it was a 12.3 and I can't remember the mph and I think the little E90 might be quicker.
    • FWIW, I made 372kW on a Mainline dyno, with a stock motor (bar head studs & usual bolt ons) on E85 (pretty timid timing in the mid range) and it blew up after a year of track use. Probably got like 5~6 Wakefield track days and 1x skid pan somewhere in between.