SAU Community

Rotors

muzziak

Hey guys, my rotors have had their better days and are due for a change, actually that worn that they can't be machined. I have a track day coming up and don't want to risk it with those brakes flying down a straight at 200. I've read mixed reviews on all rotors, just wanted to see what everyone thought. What rotors would be recommended for slight track use but mainly a daily. Note my budget isn't the greatest !

Car is a R33 gts-t

Thanks in advance

I've read mixed reviews on all rotors, just wanted to see what everyone thought.

What makes you think this thread will be any different? LOL.

Prepare for a clusterf**k of different opinions. Personally, I use RDA.

• Like 2

Over the years I've only used 3 types of rotors in my Riceline, OEM, RDA Slotted and Dimpled and DBA T3 Slotted. In my opinion there was very little difference in performance between the three as far as on the track went. I found that the main difference came to how glazed the rotors where at the end of the day (OEM glazed badly, RDA was better and DBA was even better than RDA) and NVH (OEM had little to no NVH, DBA had a little and RDA had the most)

If I had to do it all over again and price wasn't a consideration, I'd probably go the DBAs for no other reason than I like the look of the slot pattern. In reality I'd probably just go an OEM or OEM style because I'm tighter these days!

I think that you should move down this list depending on budget and application:

1. Two piece floating rotor (PFC, Project Mu, etc)

2. Two piece rotor (DBA5000, etc)

3. One piece rotor with uni directional vanes (DBA4000, RDA, etc)

All will be suitable for light track work.

If your budget isn't the greatest and can't buy a big brake kit. I'd buy RDA/DBA non slotted replacement rotors, good pads and fluid. Because stuff wasting money on slots that do jackall and will probably start cracking at some point and offer little to no benefit.

Yeah if you want to waste even more money buy project mu.

Waste? Have had project mu on my car for years. They cope really well to track work and don't crack like I have experienced other rotors doing. The 2 piece I have on the front of my GTR have stood up really, really well. Something I cant say for their equivalent in a DBA or an RDA. So, yeah, if waste is fixing it once, properly, then waste away. You don't need to spend big dollars on Pommie stuff.

And how much do these 2 piece project mu rotors cost.? Considering OP's intended use is a daily drive with a dream to go to the track(lightly). yes I would consider it wasted money even for their over priced OE slotted replacement vs. the RDA/DBA equivalent.

How much are you paying for your DBA rotors? And how many times do you multiply that by for replacement and/or machining?

Not all PMu rotors are two piece they have a number of different one piece options.

Anyway there is an option there. How cheap or how hard he uses them is up to him.

I dont think project mu's rotors are invinciable or made a highly secret way. you will have to replace them too, Like every other brake rotor. And may of may not add any benefit to braking or last any longer then the RDA rotor which is 1/3rd the cost.