SAU Community

Jordy's R34 Gtt

I tend to agree, but it's also purely guesswork at this stage lol. Certainly feels really tight, just doesn't sound like it's welded anymore haha.

Still skids and grips plenty well enough! :35_thinking:

• 2 weeks later...

Car has been great, my TRUST oil cooler kit arrived from Japan and I spent last weekend installing it! The only problem I ran into was that I ran out of space running the lines due to my turn flow cooler getting in the way, but I used my imagination and made it work.

While I waited for the kit to arrive I bought an AN spanner (china specialé) and a tube of Aeroflow thread lube/sealant, just the usual AN supplies really.

W7ZViHyh.jpg

lkszbKph.jpg

Test fit
Nz2zBOph.jpg

1hmOSRkh.jpg

sy2KRuTh.jpg

At this stage I released the front mount was going to have to come out..

Rv2sjUWh.jpg

This is the bit where I needed to use my imagination, the lines looked to hang really low, but after moving the slack from under the rad support back into the engine bay it hugs very tight and doesn't go lower than the pipework which is ok, I've also covered it in the protective covering provided.

hNNUfpdh.jpg

While it was all apart I installed a pair of great condition xenon headlights to replace my old and many a time modified headlights which was very welcome!

8KshyjFh.jpg

Once that was all done I let it idle for a little while and get up to temp while checking for leaks and keeping a close eye on the oil level which seemed pretty spot on.

Confident in my work I took it for a test drive for a good hour with no issues :)

Rhg60Weh.jpg

d5NZhX6h.jpg

Very happy!

• Like 9

On 4/21/2018 at 6:56 PM, yaze said:

Read both your r32 and r34 threads, Loved the both. Which one model do you like/prefer more? R32 or R34?

Thanks!

Honestly, it's hard as they both have their ups and downs.

The R32 is a great car, they are light, look cool and go fast enough(?). The R34 is heavier but also looks cool and is faster and has more torque, much bigger brakes etc etc and with the neo 25 there's not much more you need to do to them. Working on both an R32 and R34 you can see that the 34 is a more developed car which is also nice.

I personally prefer my R34 as it's just a newer car, the interior isn't as dated and I feel a little bit safer in it. It's also much more stable and planted but all of these things are able to be changed with the right parts.

Another good day! Woke up and helped my friend change his oil

gqZljJ3h.jpg

Thought the car looked cool here, the new headlights are a massive improvement

czPtiKOh.jpg

Then we took the skylines over to Surry Hills for brunch

dH1MsA3h.jpg

Life ain't bad

On 4/22/2018 at 7:21 PM, Jordy32 said:

Thanks!

Honestly, it's hard as they both have their ups and downs.

The R32 is a great car, they are light, look cool and go fast enough(?). The R34 is heavier but also looks cool and is faster and has more torque, much bigger brakes etc etc and with the neo 25 there's not much more you need to do to them. Working on both an R32 and R34 you can see that the 34 is a more developed car which is also nice.

I personally prefer my R34 as it's just a newer car, the interior isn't as dated and I feel a little bit safer in it. It's also much more stable and planted but all of these things are able to be changed with the right parts.

Makes me want to get rid of my 32 lol, Even for a series 2 33 or 34. After owning a 32 it feels so dated and not in a good way like a 70s ford or holden feels. I think a 33 or 34 would suit my needs, AWD seems like a waste of time for me as well. I am only wanting to cruise/go after PBs on the track, not to break records, etc.

I'm also now very used to driving/owning a modern car so some things from the 32 are pretty disappointing to me anyways, 33 or 34 might be a better choice tbh.

Edited by yaze

Sounds like you're in the same mindset I was to be honest! The age does have it's charm and I'll admit to loving that it's just not the same.

The R34 was a great improvement in those aspects for sure and no doubt it's a great car. (Ironic because I've got it up for sale, but I still love it lol)

Had a good weekend with the old skyline. Decided to go on a bit of a road trip with a mate and his R32 up to Bilpin to pick apples, eat apples and do other apple related activities :4_joy:

I also got the myPlates JDM style plates, the fit without being bent which is cool?

WHHJGnqh.jpg

My friend runs e85 so we had to stop for fuel a couple of times lol

i6LBPxph.jpg

Found a spot, families in big SUV's quite unsure as to why our "sports cars" are bouncing around on the dirt.

RRBMxLph.jpg

Found a bunch of not really ripe apples, ate them anyway

XCq2P85h.jpg

Gave up and got some store bought stuff. The young lady asked if I wanted ice cream or cream with my apple pie.. I ran the gauntlet and said both and it paid off!

FDpqlRkh.jpg

Then drove back to Sydney :)

• Like 3

I Love your adventures. These cars need to be enjoyed not just worked on in the garage to be admired and nothing beats a road trip with good food !!! 

I get caught up spending so much time working on and modifying my cars, then pushing them too hard and breaking them, that I dont often actually just enjoy the freedom of driving. One of the best things about cars are the places they can take you and the adventures they can provide !!! Or maybe thats me being a little too philosophical about it hehe.

Oh and your car is looking great by the way. 

Edited by 30640
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Spent some time on the car today replacing the Engine and Gearbox mounts with Nismo items - I ordered them through RHD japan as the pricing was pretty reasonable and they arrived during the week.

I wasn't overly concerned with the engine or gearbox mounts, however once I got to work replacing them I was glad I decided to do them.

This isn't the most fun job but I put some music on and got into a rhythm and it was done before I knew it. I started by jacking up the car nice and high and popping it on 4 wheels. I then removed the radiator as well as all of the intake piping from the passenger side so I could access the engine mount - it's worth noting that the driver's side was much easier and I could reach it with a big extension.

U95AAHX.jpg

From here I loosened off the top and bottom nuts and used a block of wood to jack up the engine off the sump. Once you get the engine high enough the engine mounts are easy to just grab and pull out. At this stage I was happy with my decision to change them.

The Driver side was visually fine, however the passenger side had torn in two:

0pHcKUp.jpg

Anyway, from here i pulled out the Nismo bits

BFTWKex.jpg

Once that was done and bolted in I dropped the engine back down and tightened it all back up, really not much else to it! After the engine mounts I stopped for a lunch break!

abk5Z5y.jpg

After that, I did the gearbox mount - this is again pretty easy, just jack up the gearbox neat the crossmember to support it and undo all of the bolts until it comes out.

za4hYVc.jpg

This is the new Nismo mount compared to what I had in there.. There's not a massive visual difference here either but the standard one felt softer and had a lot of stress cracks in the rubber.

yCoAlsI.jpg

From here you just bolt the new mount into place, you can't really mess that up.

qgIUTlS.jpg

To answer the inevitable questions:

- Yes they feel fine, they are nothing like your friend's china "urethane" bushes and are 100% streetable
- No my Nissan clutch fan has not moved up 200mm and smashed my shroud to bits

In regard to fan clearance I've had no problems at all, I even run a big fat radiator. If you're running the GKtech fan you might have that problem, but you should really replace that with a stock fan anyway..

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Another good weekend of doing little jobs on the car as well as the shed it's living in!

Nobody likes a dark shed so my friend who's an electrician popped by and lent a hand installing 2 more lights to bring it up to a total of 6 fluro tubes, the shed is bright now!

JreryLn.jpg

Still a bit of a mess, but that's ok! Anyway, so I had a suspicion that my thermostat was stuck open, the car was sitting at just 68c so I replaced that, the thermostat housing as well as the radiator hoses with all new genuine Nissan gear. I knew it wasn't the oil cooler as this "problem" has been around since before the oil cooler but I never really thought much of it.

n042LoH.jpg

I got a sensor port welded into the thermostat outlet while I waited for other bits to arrive, and even though it's post radiator it could come in handy one day either for a sensor or anything really.

Anyway, not much else to document here. I replaced the hoses with Nissan items and brand new worm drive clamps, happy :)

jnRSuDq.jpg

While I was in there I covered my oil cooler lines with plastic tubing to both hide and protect it. Greddy give you about 1m of the stuff in their kit which is handy and you can protect it where it gets near things but I've wanted to cover the entire run of braid for some time now, I'm not really into the braided line look at all.

This is the stuff I used, got it from Jaycar, $5 for 2m

nezeR6N.jpg

I also took all of the stickers off my battery as they're ugly. Once that was done it was looking very nice and tidy in that corner of the engine bay!

RIf4GvC.jpg

Some old followers might also remember I had, and blew up an HKS GT-RS turbo on my old R32, well after clearing out some space under my house I found the old girl and have brought it down to the shed to play around with it.

It's looking a little worse for wear, but it's all external. It's blown anyway but the thing is a trooper completing a whole dyno tune without any oil feed.. Jez and I couldn't believe it back when it happened.

SAvuWr0.jpg

Anyway, got to work pulling it apart and as I don't have a vice I had to get a little imaginative.

cAZHRB9.jpg

So I bolted it to the table and after unbolting all of the bolts it more or less pulled apart.. The exhaust housing was pretty seized on however with some WD40 and a bit of heating up with a blow torch I got it apart.

RtSZhYT.jpg

This was really just a bit of fun, but I'm considering getting it rebuilt just because it was so much fun on my old 25.. A lot of people said it'd be too small and while I tend to agree I'm not really looking for more than 250kw because i value response/drive ability over power which is very achievable with the gt-rs..

Anyway I haven't made my mind up, this was mainly something fun to do this weekend.. I guess we'll see what the future holds.

• 3 weeks later...