SAU Community

Bought not built?

I don't mind driving some else's fast car, I'll only ever own my skyline.

I don't mind f**king some else's woman, I'll always go home to mine.

[OK that last line was a joke].

When I bought my 'line it was not totally std, but I've bought, bartered, swapped and traded parts and am [still] in the [unending] process of setting it up to suit me.

I bought the line cos it was in my price and spec range, the biggest bang, the lowest k's, the latest model car I could get for my fistful of dinero's.

So I don't think it matters at all what you buy, ITS WHAT YOU DO WITH IT AFTER YOU BOUGHT IT............................THATS WHAT MATTERS.

Sorry, I dont respect a guy i know who bought a fully worked tx3.  

The guy couldnt even tell me how his boost controller worked or how to adjust his bov.

So he was only interested in driving his car, not playing with it? nothing wrong with that, kills converstation when you ask about his car, but still :)

Haven't you ever seen Days of Thunder? :D

The guy couldnt even tell me how his boost controller worked or how to adjust his bov.

There will be a flood of people like that around when all the modded 89 GTR's come into the country. They are commonly known as cheque book car owners.

I would rather buy a stock car and build it up the way i wanted so if someone asks you something about it you actually know what you are talking about same way i would rather have a conversation with someone who built their car themselves that someone that bought someone elses ideas.

lol, yeah, he should have done stupid shit like me and done 2 differant engine swaps!

it makes it real hard selling it though, you dont wanna part with it :)

steve

There will be a flood of people like that around when all the modded 89 GTR's come into the country. They are commonly known as cheque book car owners.

I would rather buy a stock car and build it up the way i wanted so if someone asks you something about it you actually know what you are talking about same way i would rather have a conversation with someone who built their car themselves that someone that bought someone elses ideas.

So you're pretty much advertising that people shouldn't buy your car that you're selling INASNT, they should guy buy a stock car and mod it themselves :devil:

Yes because its not for sale anymore :rofl:

But a few cheque book racers have inquired about it. The first question they have asked me about the car is 'how much boost is it running' those are the ones i spent about 1 minute talking to :devil:

So you're pretty much advertising that people shouldn't buy your car that you're selling INASNT, they should guy buy a stock car and mod it themselves :devil:

:werd:

Im in the process of buying a Supra as some of you know. The car was built for circuit racing by a guy I sort of know who has a good rep for quality work. While the car isnt EXACTLY what I would have done, it has probably 15-20k worth of mods I would have done myself anyway... I am now going to put some extra goodies onto it for 5k which will make it exactly what I wanted. The car was no more expensive than a standard supra so persnally I have saved myself a HELL of a lot of time, money and stress.

One important point to note... Supra 3.0 TT engine can reportedly take up to 500KW on standard internals, I wouldnt be so quick to rush into a modded car with stock internals that weren't so well engineered!

B :devil:

only because nobody was going to pay the ridiculous cost of a stock car + the value you spent on modifying it..

No because i would have ended up spending more stupid money on the new car i got also and the fact that i will have my license back in 4 months rather than 10 months so the car wont be sitting around doing nothing for as long

While this has been discussed in other threads. Personally I have no objection at all to "cheque book racers". Mechanics have to eat too... While I would like to be legit and "from da hood" and build my car from paperclips McGyver style. I really don't care at all.

While the nerd in me likes to ponder flow/spring rates, duty cycles and diameters. It is all just stuff to keep me amused when I am asleep or at work. If you spend your nights polishing your newly installed wastegate actuator might I suggest there is a neglected boyfriend, girlfriend or dog around the house you could perhaps spend some time with.

For me a car is about one thing, driving.

Given infinity dollars I would just buy Carrera GTs and lots of tyres...

Oh and a racetrack... and hire some mechanics... and a helicopter.

Oh and a jet plane and ummmm Jessica Alba

At the same time though I purchased my 'line standard and have modified it myself. I know most things about my car, except my stupid damned bloody friggin boost controller is a mystery to me.

i gave it to my mechanic to install and tune. i've fiddled with the high boost pressure and now it wont boost on high setting at all... it's buggered - and all because i don't have a clue about it...

people don't have to have mechanical minds to enjoy a 'line, or a worked tx3.

OK, here's a thread I can get my teeth into considering I've been through it and learnt a lot!!

When I first considered my car, there weren't many if any GTRs in AU running 400+rwkw. In fact, the only one I can think of was GTR700 when it had 444awkw which was the benchmark for a street GTR.

I searched 13 months for my dead stock GTR and after I bought it, 2 weeks later it had a cat back exhaust and turbo timer on it. 6 months down the track it had the Tien suspension, a PowerFC and a 4" intercooler. As time went on, the mods got bigger and more expensive and then after owning the car for 14 months, the whole engine was stripped down and rebuilt. Not only did this build take a stupid period of time (total of 8 months), but it was inconvenient and very very costly. Keep in mind at this point, I was already heavily involved with Ice Performance and RacePace Motorsport and I was getting cheap labour rates. I know what my final bill was and I also know what the bill would have been for a normal person coming off the street.

Let me tell you here and now that if I had to do this whole thing again, I'd tell you that you'd be nuts to buy a stock car and build it up yourself. Besides the insanely high cost of doing it, the time saved by buying a built car and the conveneince of being able to jump straight into a fast/powerful/good looking car is worth the risk. If the engine on a powerful car blows, it's probably due to wear and tear which cannot be determined unless you pull the engine down regularly.

I take special care of my car as I have the access to the workshop, tools and people who can ensure that my car runs to the best of it's ability.

I assure you 617rwkw doens't come easy and even with this power, my best time down the 1/4 is only 10.47 due to other issues which now have to be sorted out. There will always be ongoing costs for maintenance and things that go bang. Although it doesn't happen all that often, I assure you a modded car will always require more money to maintain than a stocky, simply due to R&D from the original builder. We don't spend hundreds of millions of $$$ to R&D a car before we build it. We use a slightly modded version of someone elses formula in an effor to make it better. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. That's our R&D. I haven't added up how much I've spent on my car since the final build was done but I can assure you that the price I'm selling my car for is much much much less than what even I've put into it.

Maybe your friend wants a 617rwkw, 10.47@140MPH daily driver which has also won AutoSalons dyno challenge 2 years running and set an AutoSalon dyno record.

LOL im sure he doesnt care what you think...he too busy enjoying his car....if you dont enjoy working on cars then more power to the ppl that can afford to pay other.

I hate working on my car but enjoy playing with otther ppl cars....in the past i have butchered my car but dont have a garage anymore so have to now trust others and sadly pay them.

Buy a tweaked example you will save a motza, if there is something on the car that isnt quite your cup of tea, well remove it and sell it, that will help pay for whatever it is you want to strap on. So as long your happy with he model colour etc go for it.... you dont want a silver R32 GTST do you :jk: