SAU Community

Dose's Sometimes DIY and Pay Someone Home & Boat Improvement Thread

33 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

you might find out you're one of those guys who wants to drive a luxury badge because you believe it says you've established yourself as an adult. You may realize that that is a non-tangible imaginary thing when you realise you don't respect other people more if they drive a BMW instead of a Kia.

You couldn't be more wrong :) 

I don't wear designer label clothes, or fancy sneakers. Literally Bonds & New Balance shoes, someone on the dole dresses nicer than me for context. 

If there was a Japanese car that could do what the M3 Comp can do, I would consider that too. However the IS-F is lacking many things and doesn't come close.

34 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

you haven't articulated any reason why the car "Sucks on the street" by the way

I'll go into a bit more detail this time round, so the sucks on the street part has to do with the following (high to low priority):

• Safety features:
    •  there are no side intrusion bars in the back (especially important when I take my son around as we don't have a 2nd daily car)
    • No autonomous brakes (you'll be surprised how fked Sydney drivers are, will cut in front of you and slam their brakes so they can make a left/right turn, etc.)
    • No adaptive  cruise control (this is actually lower in the list, however it's semi-related to the above)
      • I do plan to setup cruise control, once I acquire an I/O Expander to wire in the brake/clutch switch
  • Suspension wise:
    • Lacks adaptive damper control, something my Tiguan does very well and I love it
      • This leads to no option to switch between damper settings, depending on the road surface
    • Running 13kg/mm front springs and 7kg/mm rear springs also doesn't help with making the car drive nice  - however it was pretty much the only way to make the car handle well. Running softer springs & thick anti roll bars is not what I like - it was shit.
  • Smells like shit, exhaust fumes smell, catch can smells - both are something I will work on when time & budget permits. I have parts for a fabricator to weld a 10AN venturi fitting to the exhaust and plumb into the catch can
    • Cat wise, I am thinking perhaps using 2x modern performance OEM cats in parallel - this in theory "should" support the power level and also produce a pleasant exhaust smell, etc.
  • Manual transmission, believe it or not, I would prefer a ZF or DCT over a stick. Driving around in the Tiguan has changed me. Who would have thought a family SUV would impact me that much, but it has!
  • Needs more sound deadening on the door skins, floor & audio system to be semi-refreshed
    • Has Vifa front splits with ribbon tweeters, however I never put sound deadening in because I was lazy.
    • Would be nice to get an Android auto head unit
    • More sound deadening everywhere
    • Replace damaged RCA cable (happened during the respray, popped on panel trim and nicked the 6x ch lead
  • Fuel consumption, it's ridiculous, even on 98RON it's still atrocious however this is a port injected dinosaur shit box and running semi-sticky tyres does impact fuel consumption

Put it this way, every time I go somewhere, I always pick the Tiguan. Both are parked in the same garage, both generally start first go.

Now think of this scenario, I drop my son off at day care in the morning, drive straight to SMSP do a few laps, have lunch, do a few more, talk shit with other people that have called in sick for work, head back home have a break, pick up my son and then back home. Same tank of fuel, no jerry cans rolling around the boot, nothing smells like shit.

• Like 3

Do you want my morosso crank case evac kit parts to test if I can find them/haven't sold them? 

You might remember I tried the exhaust dump venturi stuff - with poor results. 

In my mind I had 2 kits and some new bits as a result. 

Edited by ActionDan

13 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Do you want my morosso crank case evac kit parts to test if I can find them/haven't sold them? 

You might remember I tried the exhaust dump venturi stuff - with poor results. 

It's ok mate, hang onto it!

I can't really recall the venturi, however did you use something like this:

image.thumb.png.1e822880718d4add4078ebe73e8a9d6d.png

image.thumb.png.e2f80c09b21743947900cb8cfebb48d6.png

For me? 

It basically didn't work at all, I don't think a 1.8L turbo car has anywhere near enough exhaust gas volume or velocity to create the scavenging effect needed. I ended up going a complicated breathing system, top and bottom of engine, into a baffled can vented to atmo with drain back and that got me sorted. 

We were very careful with placement of the valve/angle etc following all the guides, but the morosso system appears to be designed for older V8s given the manual/parts in the kit etc.

Dose might have more luck as he has more displacement. 

Edited by ActionDan
  • Like 1

Just tried to find a website that went into the "science" behind getting a PCV to exhaust working.....nope, couldn't find it

But, I did look into this year's ago

It had a long tube from the PCV going into the exhaust, from memory about 6" long, but IICRC, the length and diameter of the tube was designed around how much vacuum was in the exhaust at different rev ranges

There was lots of math involved, also lots of fluid dynamic talk and other stuff about that PCV valve, and even scavenging pumps

Even then it was based around a NA application 

I get the whole venturi thing, but because there was so much talk about crankcase pressure, vacuum and positive pressure in the exhaust, vacuum pumps.....and math, it made my head hurt so I binned the idea :221_see_no_evil::222_hear_no_evil::223_speak_no_evil::224_monkey:

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

I'll go into a bit more detail this time round, so the sucks on the street part has to do with the following (high to low priority):

• Safety features:
    •  there are no side intrusion bars in the back (especially important when I take my son around as we don't have a 2nd daily car)
    • No autonomous brakes (you'll be surprised how fked Sydney drivers are, will cut in front of you and slam their brakes so they can make a left/right turn, etc.)

I can see where you are coming from now. If you have to do daily duties with the Skyline with a kid, or soon to be kids, it is always going to be shit. This is where having things like lane keep assist and collision detection are invaluable. Because kids are distracting and can't and don't want to have to focus on the road at all times. Parking in busy school zones with soccer mums around would be pretty shit as well. I would hate all of that so much.

Do you have street parking around you? I'm thinking you need to buy another normal car for daily duties. Your wife can drive the Tiguan and you use the third car for daily duties with the kids. And leave the Skyline purely for enjoyment. And if it all still sucks, go get that BMW :)

• Like 1

The issue with that is safe parking I think hence he really needs to stick to 2 cars only. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think he'll be much happier all round in a competent BMW that he can take to the track on occassion and have it not suck but excel at all the other stuff, the reality is we spend most of our time "driving" not racing. 

The 33 is beautiful and if the prices weren't bullshit these days I'd have this one happily, but I wouldn't be driving it for the school run. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I know I know, Australia's drinking water is superior, etc. However when I cut apart my fridge's water filter after 6 months, I can say I'm not a believer in our water being that clean.

Anyhow, decided to go with an inline water filter setup, this means there's no need to drill a hole on the bench top for a dedicated tap.

Measure 5x, cut 1x.

Overall, tastes like the water out of the fridge now and not like tap water.

PXL_20230809_002245587.jpg

PXL_20230809_053607051.jpg

PXL_20230809_053547613.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

How many litres per minute does it flow?

Pressure drop?

Data logs?

Cmon man

No idea, I'll calculate it tomorrow 😂

There's a pressure limit valve on it, currently set to 3.5bar. 

Data logs might be challenging, it uses a screw driver for tuning LOL.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

No idea, I'll calculate it tomorrow 😂

There's a pressure limit valve on it, currently set to 3.5bar. 

Data logs might be challenging, it uses a screw driver for tuning LOL.

You installed a carburettor to run your kitchen sink?!

Are you mad! It'll need tuning each time air temp changes!

What if the pressure in the kitchen goes up? Can it handle the heat and pressure with only a screwdriver to tune it?! :O

PS, where'd you get it from, and does it still flow like a normal tap?

Is it an RO filter?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MBS206 said:

PS, where'd you get it from, and does it still flow like a normal tap?

Is it an RO filter?

Got it from: https://psifilters.com.au/collections/twin-undersink-premium/products/high-flow-twin-system

This one isn't a RO filter, however the above website sells them too. I was just more concerned about removing contaminates such as heavy metals, plastics, lead, and other shit you get in your regular tap water.

Flow rate, about 80% of what it was before. Also the mixer already cuts flow rate down to meet those new requirements.

I'll workout overall flow soon and post back.

Haha old school, carb tuning. 12:1 AFR at any load, eFfiCiEnCy bRO.

15 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Got it from: https://psifilters.com.au/collections/twin-undersink-premium/products/high-flow-twin-system

This one isn't a RO filter, however the above website sells them too. I was just more concerned about removing contaminates such as heavy metals, plastics, lead, and other shit you get in your regular tap water.

Flow rate, about 80% of what it was before. Also the mixer already cuts flow rate down to meet those new requirements.

I'll workout overall flow soon and post back.

Haha old school, carb tuning. 12:1 AFR at any load, eFfiCiEnCy bRO.

The flow restrictors for taps, are all right at the outlet, unscrew them, slip the weird bit out, screw it back in.

But filter is probably smashing flow rate down now more than the tap.

• Like 1