SAU Community

2JZ Supra Time. Input and Suggestions Please!

2JZ Supra Time. Input and Suggestions Please!

G'day Team,

Yep, I would like to buy a 2JZ Supra within the next 12 - 15 weeks.

Yes, seriously.

No, I won't be selling my E85 R33 GT-R.

I could search extensively, but I'm on here all the time, and hell, why not start a thread.

Question.... What model should I buy? or perhaps What would YOU buy?

I want a long list of tasteful modifications. Must look stockish, but either go hard (400kw+) or have all the hard bits done and ready for Haltech and E85. Pref NSW rego. Will buy straight from Japan if needed.

Business is good, and I have a 30K budget, but could go 35K if it was worth it as I know that spending an extra 5K will happen in no time as soon as I add E85... and I will.

It will be an Investment that does mad skids.

Yes, it will be tracked once every 3 months... TBH I'm pretty worries about blowing the RB26 when the 'Redmist' comes down.

Back story is my 33GTR is my 3rd Skyrine, and I want some 2JZ before they are worth a billionty dollars.

Please give feedback Ya Mad Bastards! What looks best and is BEST BANG FOR BUCK!!

Cheers,

James

Pic for Fap. Makes my GTR look pretty lame TBH.

15741262_1248357021876746_6881638601143127199_n - Copy.jpg

Post 94, but pre 97

you want the big brakes, but not the vvti motor.

I looked for ages and all the local ones had too many fast and the furious mods, or were thrashed to within an inch of their lives

So find a stock one, throw the factoy turbos in the bin where they belong, add a decent single turbo, (EFR8374 would be my choice) and a set of drop in cams. an 4" exhaust (nothing jap branded is any good!!!)

10" wide wheels front and rear and some decent suspension and you'll have a reliable car that can be driven to and from the track.

• Like 1

You dont want VVTi!

Smaller ports and toothpick esque con-rods

Edit - plus nothing from the earlier motor fits the vvti head, so exhaust manifolds, cams, inake manifolds etc 

from memory 30k Will get you quite a nice one

See here -

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Supra-1993/SSE-AD-4446612/?Cr=5

This one looks like it is sold but.....

93 will have the small brakes, but not hard to upgrade, but at 26k it gives you a bigger budget for parts

• Like 1

Thanks Zebra. TBH I would like something more heavily modified and ready to go.

From experience, I know how much time and money it takes / costs to get something right, hence the slightly higher budget.

What I really want is someones baby, who has built it and life circumstances have changed and now has to move on.

I'm still Salty about that beautiful one (silver with bay done) which was sold in the ACT about 18months ago. Can't remember the rego, but there was a pic of it in-front of Waters Edge / the Lake / the flags in Canberra. That was super.

I would prefer a big single already done, injectors, pump, diff etc. My understanding is the 2JZ is pretty unbreakable? so that is not a huge issue, but if done, it's a bonus.

Must also be classy, and not FandF as you mentioned.

What was the story with you giving up on them?

Didn't realise the VVTI's were weaker. I've been keeping an eye out for the VVTI model for a bit now (trying to live out my Gran Turismo youth and have a GTR, GTO & Supra).
I'll start looking for a 95ish model now I guess. Realise this is the wrong forum to ask this que, but is there a big difference in driviability between a VVTI model and the earlier ones?

See here

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?522377-FAQ-VVTi-2JZGTE-Facts-differences-and-conversion-information

Apparently I had a senior moment and must have been thinking the Toyota V8s (xUZ) series and not the JZ

So pretty much ignore the stuff above about the VVTi 2JZ being weaker.

I wouldn't rush into buying one as people think they're rarer than a unicorn.

The Australian forums died in the arse about 2-3 years ago. There is an Australian Supra buy and sell group on Facebook that you'll see some decent options. In saying that people are still delusional with the current prices.

I've had people message me for 3 times what i sold mine for a couple years ago. I'm also looking to buy another one, but honestly I think its cheaper to buy a roller and rebuild it. 

There are still a few oldies floating around that can give some details on a few cars. For example dont touch the purple t04z single thats on the market. its a mashed up lemon hence the 5th owner in 18 months is trying to palm it off.

After owning both the supra and GTR, I can say there is something about the big single supra that never lets go!

Take your time to look at whats out there. Go test drive them and inspect the cars to make sure your getting what your paying for. 

• Like 1

Just a few suggestions/comments regarding the 2JZ venture. Let me know if you need any more information.

1. You would be better off buying a late model NON VVTi model. VVTi complicates modifications and tuning a bit more so I wouldn't suggest buying one unless you absolutely find one that you are keen on.

2. Most people put on trash body kits and such (F&F style) and it's becoming hard to find a stock looking supra which will be under $30k that has single turbo modifications. You may find one which is stock (including visuals) for around 25-30k.

3. Easy to modify and you can just slap on a big turbo, injectors, ecu, e85, exhaust, etc and keep it simple. You don't really need cams or anything fancy and the block is pretty much bullet proof so you won't need a built motor when you are only chasing 400kw.

4. Your budget is okay but might need to be extended a bit depending on the condition supra you want and your time frame taken into account. People are starting to hold onto them more and the ones for sale are either lemons, look molested or want something ridiculous for their condition.

Best of luck with your search! Especially with your timeline of 3-4 months. Hope you can find something nice and clean with tasteful modifications.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, natett said:

I wouldn't rush into buying one as people think they're rarer than a unicorn.

The Australian forums died in the arse about 2-3 years ago. There is an Australian Supra buy and sell group on Facebook that you'll see some decent options. In saying that people are still delusional with the current prices.

I've had people message me for 3 times what i sold mine for a couple years ago. I'm also looking to buy another one, but honestly I think its cheaper to buy a roller and rebuild it. 

There are still a few oldies floating around that can give some details on a few cars. For example dont touch the purple t04z single thats on the market. its a mashed up lemon hence the 5th owner in 18 months is trying to palm it off.

After owning both the supra and GTR, I can say there is something about the big single supra that never lets go!

Take your time to look at whats out there. Go test drive them and inspect the cars to make sure your getting what your paying for. 

Thankyou Nate. Your one was exactly what I am chasing. If it were for sale now, It would be in my Shed. Super Clean.

9 hours ago, breaker1845 said:

Just a few suggestions/comments regarding the 2JZ venture. Let me know if you need any more information.

1. You would be better off buying a late model NON VVTi model. VVTi complicates modifications and tuning a bit more so I wouldn't suggest buying one unless you absolutely find one that you are keen on.

2. Most people put on trash body kits and such (F&F style) and it's becoming hard to find a stock looking supra which will be under $30k that has single turbo modifications. You may find one which is stock (including visuals) for around 25-30k.

3. Easy to modify and you can just slap on a big turbo, injectors, ecu, e85, exhaust, etc and keep it simple. You don't really need cams or anything fancy and the block is pretty much bullet proof so you won't need a built motor when you are only chasing 400kw.

4. Your budget is okay but might need to be extended a bit depending on the condition supra you want and your time frame taken into account. People are starting to hold onto them more and the ones for sale are either lemons, look molested or want something ridiculous for their condition.

Best of luck with your search! Especially with your timeline of 3-4 months. Hope you can find something nice and clean with tasteful modifications.

Thanks for the input Breaker. Yes, all the ones I see are poorly modified or waaay overpriced.

• 2 weeks later...