SAU Community

Battery problem

eliteaaron

Hey all not sure if this is in right section but i have a problem i have a r34 skyline and it has a high flow fuel pump directly wired to battery. When you first start it in morning cranks and fires stright away but when you drive it somewhere like i went to servo other day and turned it off and then tried to start it again and was very slow cranking like the battery was going flat so i changed the battery thinking it might have been old but nope its got the stock size 430cca do i need a bigger battery or is something else? Alternator? Its been doing it since i have owned it and sometimes it doesnt even start just cranks slow then clicks like battery hasnt got enough kick or is flat. Any help would be great thanks.

Aaron

Have you checked voltages with the car off, cranking and running?

Test those and report back

Im going to suggest it might be the starter motor if it is worse when the car is hot. And you have changed the battery. Interested to know the charging voltage (with car running)

• Like 1

As 89 CAL said starter is likely, but I would also check the earth straps, esp. to the block.  Starter motors can go lazy if the motor has a poor earth.

Easiest way to check this is [is your battery in the boot?] use both jumper leads end to end and connect from your negative terminal to the motor direct then try starting again.  If it works then its an earth strap, if it doesn't then its probably the starter motor.

1 hour ago, breaker1845 said:

Twenty bucks says its a weak earth to your fuel pump. Fix that problem and it'll crank everytime if your battery/starter is good.

What has the fuel pump got to do with the engine cranking?

Have you checked voltages with the car off, cranking and running?

Test those and report back

Im going to suggest it might be the starter motor if it is worse when the car is hot. And you have changed the battery. Interested to know the charging voltage (with car running)

Pretty sure the $20 is mine. I was first in with starter motor [emoji108]

Twenty bucks says its a weak earth to your fuel pump. Fix that problem and it'll crank everytime if your battery/starter is good.

BTW, I take cash or cheque

27 minutes ago, 89CAL said:

Pretty sure the $20 is mine. I was first in with starter motor emoji108.png

No way - your starter motor suggestion was before the $20 bet was placed. I'm claiming it as I called him out on his fuel pump comment:) I think I'll buy about 12 litres of E85 (unless the price has gone up again) to run through my fuel pump.

Maybe he'll give us both $20...

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:48 PM, breaker1845 said:

breaker18445 he send it me guys............it is offishal, you want $20 please to open visa account in your name and send me direct to the numbers [card number, CCv, and pin] and me will collect release $20 to you of eech