SAU Community

R33 randomly dies

Hey guys, it's probably been covered, but for the life of me can't seem to figure it out and google isn't really helping.

The car will start fine and run fine, but after 5 minutes the whole car will seemingly die and the battery light comes on, its a new battery but has been charged and I didn't have this problem before, but however when the car has had that hickup it seems to be fine afterwards, just find it weird that i lose all power and engine cuts out, could it be alternator and or blown fuse causing the car to be shitty?

(Also this only happens first thing in the morning, in the afternoon on the way from work it has no problems at all)

Any advice is much appreciated :) 

It's not the battery.  There is no battery light.  That's the "ignition on but no roundy roundy happening light".

If it's electrical, it will be the ECCS relay.  If it is engine temperature related, it will be the idle control/cold start stuff not working properly.

11 minutes ago, r34.rory said:

Check the alt belt, could be worn and slipping or not enough tension maybe.

My R34 battery light came on last year and died turned out the belt for alternator shredded and flew off.

f**k,I'll have a look, i know my battery went dead a month ago but fully charged it and didn't have an issue till now, will check when i get home

Look, if the engine is just stopping, then either it has a mechanical problem / vacuum leak / fuel supply issue etc etc, OR it is simply losing electrical power to something vital.  These vital things include the coils, for example, and the ECU.  The Nissan engine management system is known by their abbreviation ECCS.  The ECCS relay is the relay that provides power to the ECU.  Its operation is a little complicated, but the overall view is that when you want the engine to be running the ECCS relay needs to be powered up.  Like all relays, they can get flaky.  When they do, they can drop power to the ECU, which tends to have sudden consequences.

You can find the relay near the ECU.  If you don't know what you're doing, you shouldn't stuff around down there, because you can make things worse.  If you had put the words "ECCS relay" into google, you would have found all the thousands of words that have been written on here across the last 25 years, in which you will find much wisdom.  The O2 sensor and the TPS are not likely to be responsible for your stoppages.  The CAS might.  The fuel pump might, just.  A broken wire in a loom definitely could.

Then it's not your alternator. If a dead alternator caused the engine to stop then the battery power would be drained. You wouldn't be able to start it back up.

GTSBoy noted many things to check. Start there as I reckon he's on the money.

As a side, I had a similar issue with intermittent stalling out of nowhere. After some trial and error I narrowed it down to my fuel pump relay - it's rare for these to die but it happens. I replaced mine and I was sweet, no more problems.

Is it a series 1 ? If it is you might want to check your air flow meter. The connector pins, internally, might need re-soldering. I think there are a few posts on the subject here in this forum

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mate! Cleaned the iacv, also had a small vac leak on the std intercooler piping, but other than that it still struggles some mornings and still feels like it wants to stall, but I couldn’t find anything wrong in the wiring, even my mechanic couldn’t find anything. 

• 2 weeks later...