SAU Community

V35 Lower control arm bushing replacement labour costs

Hey, 

PART_1539.thumb.jpg.7569afe1b5c0d58612d31268bbf780ad.jpg

I've purchased a replacement set of bushings for the busted bushings (see pic) in my lower control arms in my 02 C35 (Specific model PV35 350gt8). I'm wondering if anyone can give me a rough idea of how much a standard mechanic will charge for the labour, what price would be a rip off and if anyone has a suggestion for a good mechanic in the Perth region?

Thanks 

Take out the control arms yourself (easy job, 2 bolts each side = 15 minutes per side). Take the arm plus the new bushings to any half decent workshop and they can press in the new ones for bugger all $$$. Reinstall yourself. Profit.

Thanks for the replies. Thinking we'll attempt it ourselves first, got access to a workshop and tools, plus I don't know what state the rest of the suspension is in yet, I don't want to be conned into replacing things that aren't necessary.

I'll post some photos when we get under there, let me know what you guys think.

My parents run an engineering/hydraulics workshop so good chance they've got one. Quick question, I read the bolts need to be torqued at ride height, if so, does that mean the car needs to be on the ground? 

1 hour ago, Neurotic said:

My parents run an engineering/hydraulics workshop so good chance they've got one. Quick question, I read the bolts need to be torqued at ride height, if so, does that mean the car needs to be on the ground? 

Yes.  Or on a 4 post hoist, or any equivalent that has the car high enough for you to work under it, but with the weight carried on the wheels.

43 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I did mine on jacks, then drove the car for 80,000km (before its untimely demise) without any issues. Can't see any benefit/effect of torquing them on the ground.

Um, it has to do with having the pivots in the orientation that they will be at in actual service, along with the load being passed through them being as per service.  If the wheels are hanging from the pivots, instead of the pivots holding up the weight of the car, then the loads in the bushes are nowhere near the same.

Ah ok cool, I just read something about the torque being off if not done at ride height.

Anybody in Perth feel like lending me a hand for a carton? ? Seriously though, would be really beneficial to have somebody who knows what they're doing help me get this sorted, I'd be happy to pay for your time ☺ There may be other issues that I and the guys helping me might miss etc...Really want to get it back on the road...Sat in it yesterday and just revved it a little...having car withdrawals lol

they really should be tightened and torqued up in their normal operating position, if you torque them up when there is no weight on the suspension, the rubber in the bushes will be permanently twisted when the vehicle weight is put back on the suspension.  Not as much as an issue with poly bushes as they can move, but rubber bushes are fixed to the inner and outer steel casing.