SAU Community

I'm trying to install a new head unit into my 92 GTST, I got the until in but I'm not getting anything from the speakers, I'm pretty sure I have it hooked up right but I read somewhere that the amp in the boot wont operate with a new head unit. I'm trying to avoid rewiring all of the speakers but I'm pretty new to the audio world and any help would be much appreciated. 

I'm trying to install a new head unit into my 92 GTST, I got the until in but I'm not getting anything from the speakers, I'm pretty sure I have it hooked up right but I read somewhere that the amp in the boot wont operate with a new head unit. I'm trying to avoid rewiring all of the speakers but I'm pretty new to the audio world and any help would be much appreciated. 
Sorry to hear you're having troubles.

We're probably going to need more to go on than what you have here. A couple of pics and a hand drwwn diagram would be awesome and also the make and model of your amp and head unit.

Are you getting power to both the amp and head unit right now? And if so what voltages do you see?

2 hours ago, Steve85 said:

Sorry to hear you're having troubles.

We're probably going to need more to go on than what you have here. A couple of pics and a hand drwwn diagram would be awesome and also the make and model of your amp and head unit.

Are you getting power to both the amp and head unit right now? And if so what voltages do you see?

I have power at the head, unsure about the amp I will check it when I get home from my little trip. I have 12 volts and a 5v reference at the head. This is the reference I used to write the head unit. It's a lower model kenwood head unit. Not sure of the particular model right now. I ran into this issue then had to leave for a small work trip. 

Screenshot_20190726-061321_Drive.jpg

Edited by Digdug154
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

There are wires that run from the console back to the amp. These can be made to connect to speakers instead.

But FWIW, just get the seats out of the car and put some new speaker cable in.

The stock working doesnt look too good I agree, but I'd  rather do that during winter when I dont want to drive this car. Right now I just want some tunes while I'm cruising this season 

It's possible the car has the "active speakers" still in the car? Then an aftermarket headunit wouldnt work with the system, since both front speakers and the rear speakers are controlled by individual amps.

The front speakers were an easy replacement, the rear amp can be bypassed pretty easily as well

Edited by Hcr32typem

16 hours ago, Hcr32typem said:

It's possible the car has the "active speakers" still in the car? Then an aftermarket headunit wouldnt work with the system, since both front speakers and the rear speakers are controlled by individual amps.

The front speakers were an easy replacement, the rear amp can be bypassed pretty easily as well

Yes it does have active speakers! How do I bypass those amps properly?

On 7/28/2019 at 6:26 AM, Digdug154 said:

Yes it does have active speakers! How do I bypass those amps properly?

The front speakers should be pretty straight forward the rear takes some cutting and splicing. I'm trying to find the guide I used to bypass the rear amp that runs both rear speakers.

Found the guide I used.

I used crimable caps to seal the wires together, left the rest of the plug intact so that I wouldnt have any potential crossed wires. Works fantastically.

I'm running 4x6 in the front and 9" in the back. They're just cheap Dual speakers (cheap American brand) but they sound fantastic compared to the originals whose membrane had disintegrated like 10 years ago haha

4 hours ago, Hcr32typem said:

saudering iron

Now, it's one thing for you Yanks to say "soddering iron" (when it is spelt soldering, and said with the L pronounced like in the word "older", by the original architects of the language, and us Aussies), but it is another thing entirely to spell it the way you weirdos say it! Did you make up the spelling "sauder", or is that actually how some/all of you write it also? If so, where the hell did it come from?

• Like 1