SAU Community

Water Leak To Cabin... Any ideas?

Tobz

Hey All!

Wondering if anyone can help me, had some rain here recently and noticed water got into the cabin. I'm pretty sure it happened while it was parked and not driving. It's only in the driver side footwell and I've checked the fire wall and there is no obvious place for water to enter (such as a grommet or such.

Have pulled the carpet back and it looks like it's leaking from the centre console maybe? Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or has any thoughts on where this could be from?

The water patch seems to be from the left of the clutch pedal against the gearbox tunnel (can see the discolouration on the photo.

Any help would be sooo good :) (is in a R34 GTT)

20190921_155151.jpg

Edited by Tobz

7 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

• Windscreen seal.
  • Plenum chamber drains blocked.

Makes sense. I'll try and see if either of those are the issue.... Is there an easy way to check either? I had a look at the windscreen but it's hard to tell if the seal is 100%

I'll have a bit of a google

@GTSBoy

Ok pulled the car apart, finally have located the rough place of the water entry

The water seems to be dropping from above the throttle pedal. I'm thinking it's the windscreen?

Also cleaned up what I think are the plenums? They had leafs but nothing major. Picture also attached

20190922_175238.jpg

20190922_175252.jpg

20190922_175317.jpg

Edited by Tobz

If it is leaking at the firewall near the accelerator then you have to take the front wheel off, then remove the plastic guard liner [screws and clips].  Behind this there are a few grommets and such for gauges and cables etc.  You won't see these grommets in the engine bay.  I'll bet that one of the grommets has been split for aftermarket gauges or boost controller.  Silastic out of a caulking gun works.....well did for me....but that was almost 20 years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tridentt150v said:

If it is leaking at the firewall near the accelerator then you have to take the front wheel off, then remove the plastic guard liner [screws and clips].  Behind this there are a few grommets and such for gauges and cables etc.  You won't see these grommets in the engine bay.  I'll bet that one of the grommets has been split for aftermarket gauges or boost controller.  Silastic out of a caulking gun works.....well did for me....but that was almost 20 years ago.

Cheers! I'll try that first before the windscreen! Worth trying the cheaper options first!

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 8:18 PM, tridentt150v said:

Ive had this problem as well but only happens when driving in the rain

• 2 months later...
On 23/09/2019 at 8:18 PM, tridentt150v said:

It was 100% this. Took me a while to get to it, but pulled it apart and found that the guys who did the alarm used the grommet there and just used masking tape to cover it. Tape loosened and formed a funnel which flowed the water into the cabin. Used some loctite putty thing and sealed it up good!

• Like 1