SAU Community

R32 Gtst 4 door - raising rear of bonnet

Hey All,

I have checked the forum but just get a heap of for sale posts. I know the pros and cons of raising the boot rear but I had a few other questions. 

- should I use a spring washer and if so, where exactly in relation to the hood and hood plate and other washers?

- should I use a rubber/nylon washer and if so, where in relation to the hood and hood plate and other washers?

- should I stagger the number of spacers between the front and rear hood panel bolts so that they keep the angle of the bonnet or mount flat on the same number of washers for both?

- should I take the coil pack cover off in addition and if so where is a good spot for the igniter?

Thanks guys. 

Btw I have just changed gearbox and rear diff oil to redline lightweight and motul gearbox competition - best money I have spent on the car so far wow!

It's not 1975 any more. Why would you want to do this? You do appreciate that the base of the windscreen is a high pressure area, not a low pressure area, and the whole idea behind lifting the rear of the bonnet to let out out of the engine bay is invalidated by that fact? Right?

And don't take the coil pack cover off. Look inside the back of the timing cover. See the slots there? There is actually a deliberate effort made by Nissan for the cam drive system to pump some air through the coil tunnel. Take the cover off and you lose that. And you have to find some other method to mount the ignitoe, which you wouldn't have to do if you didn't remove the cover.

If my Splitfires die, and I don't feel like spending ~$1k for R35 type coils, the Yaris coils would be what I would do.

They are better coils, but not massively better. The R35/Audi/etc coils are quite a big step up though.

And, don't be fooled by the kits that say "Genuine Bosch Yaris Coils". The coils may be made by Bosch.....but genuine Yaris coils were made for Toyota by Denso. The Bosch ones are effectively aftermarket. I can't tell you that they are as good as the Denso ones.