SAU Community

Trying on Lenses with R32 Projector

TXSquirrel

Got my hands on a R32 projector from a broken headlight, so I bought some spare lenses with different height to play with.  I am keeping my factory setup anyways but just curious if modern lens can improve anything compared to the 30 year old one.  I wasn't expecting much out of this experiment, but one did result in a nice surprise.

Using a 6V lantern battery, these are the results.

GYy4TMv.jpg

Factory lens: about 30 or 31mm

r7jAk5m.jpg

ZKW-R: 22.5mm

o2Tvzsh.jpg

FX-R: 24mm

rhCVyQL.jpg

Q5-R: 28mm

bjmglm5.jpg

Here is what the Q5-R looks like installed.

4g32X6e.jpg

Here is comparing Q5-R with cheap halogen H3C bulb to a cheap aftermarket HID installed in a Saturn Sky.

5M6zw2E.png

Very good cut line with the Q5-R lens.  Now I will see if I can find someone with H3C sized HID to try on.

The issue isn't the lens, it's the whole projector. They are shit. Only useful when you chop it and use it as a bracket for a HID projector.

H3C is just H3 without ground wire. So you can use H3 HID aftermarket junk, but it will be shit. It's like adding 30 psi to a dying motor, it'll still perform poorly.

Again I agree factory projector is crap and any cheap Morimoto projector will perform much better, but that's not the point here.  If you just want something that's better and treating that as the absolute, then we should see only 2JZ in these cars shouldn't we?  (gasp!)  

Edited by TXSquirrel

Here is what the light looks like with HID.  The focus is dead on and the cut line is super clean.  Not bad by just changing a $15 lens and still able to retain complete factory adjustment.  

GqlKwRO.jpg

10kMeCm.png

6K9ozQD.jpg

I am doing this experiment with money out of my own pocket and sharing the result.  If you think the result is helpful or just "good to know," then that's my goal because I am really doing this out of curiosity.  If you think this pointless, then that's good for you too because now you don't ever have to wonder what the outcome would be if some stubborn guy wants to try some pointless experiment with a 30 year old headlight.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I agree, as that is both logical and sensible.  And to be honest this still doesn't solve the RHD vs LHD beam pattern issue for me that any retrofit projector can.  I guess the biggest benefit here is retaining full range of factory adjustment, but how much of that is really needed anyway? 

I would like to mention the Morimoto Q5-R lens also fits like a glove compared to others, and the whole lens-changing process is quick and hassle free, no cutting or drilling or needing fancy bracket made.  Just 15 minutes off with the old and on with the new.

7 hours ago, TXSquirrel said:

I guess the biggest benefit here is retaining full range of factory adjustment, but how much of that is really needed anyway? 

Less adjustment needed than is available for sure. But....on that topic, successful retros of proper HIDs retain the adjustment.

Nothing wrong with experimenting. Good on you for bothering to write about it here. I suggest doing wall shots with the projector at least 3 car lengths away from the wall.

That flare to the off-side is interesting, don't recall seeing it when I PnP'd a set.

You can use the R32 brackets (or chop halogen projector), so you can put HID projector and retain the factory adjustment. E.g.:

• 5 months later...

I thought I posted a follow up to the light flare, but apparently I forgot.  I added a piece of straight metal to cover up the light deflector/bracket thing designed to produce a RHD pattern, and it cured the flare.

SZ42ppZ.jpg

tPkfQWy.jpg

• Like 1