SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

19 hours ago, mlr said:

Whilst I do love a good 2 step, yeah nah, #becauseslushbox

Should I wait a few weeks till you do a Manual conversion ;)

• Haha 1

Got my quote for a cam and stuff install.

Waiting for workshop time now.

oztrack-camshaft-kits-with-remote-custom-tuning-afm-delete-removal-cam-upgrade-online-leaders-in-ls-auto-part-tire_709_250x250@2x.jpg.4657e7a70c1e18cef044f9f6ef46454a.jpg

Cannot decide on which one though.

Oztrack recommend the LSV or HP3.

460301641_images(8).jpeg.71f1e531efc656731091efe8cb5c1fcb.jpeg

They recommend that LSV would suit the car as is, but the HP3 has headroom for intake manifold and head work in the future.

LSV idles smooth and comes on fairly quick.

The HP3 is fairly choppy (I love the sound of a lumpy cam) but still ok for the stock converter.

Both are a big improvement over the current cam, lots of gains in torque and between 30-50kw up high.

I'm leaning towards the HP3 maily because of #lumpyloapylols, the 3.9 diff gears should "hopefully" help it get up into the cam without to much delay.

Streetability for both are apparently good.

Hmmmm

In other news: my fears of a highstall and not locking up in the auto are unfounded, soooo, if I do go the bigger cam, a high stall converter will be the next mod.

Now all I need is that WSID opens soon so I can do a pre and post run.

LOL, f**king Covid spoiling all my fun.

42 minutes ago, mlr said:

Got my quote for a cam and stuff install.

Waiting for workshop time now.

oztrack-camshaft-kits-with-remote-custom-tuning-afm-delete-removal-cam-upgrade-online-leaders-in-ls-auto-part-tire_709_250x250@2x.jpg.4657e7a70c1e18cef044f9f6ef46454a.jpg

Cannot decide on which one though.

Oztrack recommend the LSV or HP3.

460301641_images(8).jpeg.71f1e531efc656731091efe8cb5c1fcb.jpeg

They recommend that LSV would suit the car as is, but the HP3 has headroom for intake manifold and head work in the future.

LSV idles smooth and comes on fairly quick.

The HP3 is fairly choppy (I love the sound of a lumpy cam) but still ok for the stock converter.

Both are a big improvement over the current cam, lots of gains in torque and between 30-50kw up high.

I'm leaning towards the HP3 maily because of #lumpyloapylols, the 3.9 diff gears should "hopefully" help it get up into the cam without to much delay.

Streetability for both are apparently good.

Hmmmm

In other news: my fears of a highstall and not locking up in the auto are unfounded, soooo, if I do go the bigger cam, a high stall converter will be the next mod.

Now all I need is that WSID opens soon so I can do a pre and post run.

LOL, f**king Covid spoiling all my fun.

LSV out of those choices. THe LS1 doesnt need / beneift from such a large exhaust duration split.

choppy idle can be tuned to suit.

glad you have seen the light regarding conveters!

• Thanks 1

You are going to run into the exact same problem I did re: Cams and the rest of the system being able to supply the air the cam wants.

Be aware!

If you are going to keep stock heads (and not be super obsessive about checking springs, etc etc, want something that will be put in and forget) then the LSV is the smart choice.

The "power" category of that chart does require additional mods to unlock the said power. Drivability is easier in an auto which you have on your side. Cam surge is just shit to live with. Power under the curve is still a thing in V8 land.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

You are going to run into the exact same problem I did re: Cams and the rest of the system being able to supply the air the cam wants.

Be aware!

If you are going to keep stock heads (and not be super obsessive about checking springs, etc etc, want something that will be put in and forget) then the LSV is the smart choice.

The "power" category of that chart does require additional mods to unlock the said power. Drivability is easier in an auto which you have on your side. Cam surge is just shit to live with.

I've been looking at heads and an intake, the intake is relatively cheapish, the heads are costly, sooooo

Thanks all for the information, I'll have them throw in the LSV with the all the other snot they install at the same time.

It is diminishing gains (especially value for money wise) when going further than just a cam / spring job.  As kinkstaah said area under the curve is still important, and going to a larger can will hurt economy also

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mlr said:

Car goes in tomorrow.

The guy recommend trunion bushing kit?

They look like solid brass vs roller.

Like this > https://vcmstore.com.au/products/ls-rocker-trunnion-upgrade-kit

Thoughts

I vote no. I would be more concerned the trunnion galling when solid, considering the way they are lubricated is "hoping the oil splashing around happens to land there", push rod style! .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Close, but wrong one

LS1 3 bolt throttle body

https://www.tuffcarparts.com.au/holden-gm-chevrolet-chev-ls1-5.7lt-v8-nos-efi-wet

Yes, I've looked

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Its less choppy than mine. That said it probably drives right, and doesn't shake you and your passengers at idle in the seat (is kinda cool tho) and is the right cam! Which one did you go in the end?

LSV

It does do a "little" shimmy at idle in neutral, once in drive it just squats down a bit harder on the brake.

So, after taking the Mrs for a cruise today (Robertson pie shop, long way there, long way home) I'm definitely looking at those interceptor copies in silver, with caps of course, #fullbogan

302205208_17X9WITHCAP_Fotor.thumb.jpg.21cb0563889064219d789e1fe677746f.jpg

17 x 8 + 42 for the front 

17 x 9 + 48 for the rear

Tyres will be Hankook RS4, cheap but good.

235/45 front and 255/40 rear

Rollin' on 19" rims and rubber band tyres is arse on anything other than dead flat and smooth highways.

I'm just waiting on a shipping quote.

In other, Mrs related news, she wants me to put the pacemaker rear muffler back on, doing a dollar ten on the highway with 3.9 gears is to noisy for her to sleep.....LOL.

Meh, things you do..

I'm also still looking for 2 interceptors, 15 x 7 which I will shod with some Micky T's for LOL's at WSID.

20 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

Thats really what you want man.. Idle shake is cool and all until you have anyone in the car that doesn't think its great and it quickly becomes shitty.

That cam looks the goods. Was the dyno run locked?

I believe the converter was locked.

But, my speedo reading is way out now, I believe they f**ked up the calibration it had for the 3.9 diff when they played with rhe tune.

GPS reads 80, speedo reads 100.

How and if this effects anything I have no clue, apart from me driving like Miss Daisy.

I'll ring them tomorrow to get it fixed.

I was doing what I thought was 100 in a 100 zone and everyone was passing me, I got the Mrs to get google maps up and to my dismay I was doing 80.