SAU Community

MLR's Bogan cruise ship

I've got to stop googling because.....

https://www.oztrack.com.au/index.php/2013-09-27-06-14-12/performance-camshaft-information

3. HPA/HP2- low 230s cam, lumpier and more up high power by a small margin over the LSV calmer than the GT. Biggest recommended cam in Automatics.

6 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

That dyno graph will not be for a 5.7, fyi!

Yeah, I assume there is more to that dyno than a cam and some bolt ons.

From searching around a cam that suits my auto might get me a bit more up top but a good chunk in rhe middle without sacrificing to much down low, where rhe 3.9 gears should help anyway.

My power will be limited by the cam I am able to use with the stock converter.

The car is currently a daily/cruiser, the 3.9 diff has me reving pretty high, even in top gear, when doing 110, hence, I cannot fit a high stall to suit a big lumpy cam, and not kill the converter.

Compromise is  my middle name.

Anyway, that is what I'm rolling with ATM, I'll talk to somw SME's on it and see how I proceed.

The thing about cams is there's really very little "just better everywhere" cam.

Consult SME's at Ls1tech.com or give VCM a call and tell them (honestly) what you plan on doing with the car in entirety and they will be able to sell you a kit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

The thing about cams is there's really very little "just better everywhere" cam.

Generally, more lift with a wider lobe nose but no increase in total duration is the best "just better everywhere cam". Harder on the VT of course, but something has got to give.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ben C34 said:

get a 3500rpm converter. do it properly.

My understanding is that the correct RPM range for the converter should be 500 RPM below the cruise RPM IOT ensure the converter has stopped slipping.

Back when Mosses wore shorts I remember guys throwing in high stalls in their street cars with varying results of reliability, due to the converter constantly slipping and cooking.

Disclaimer: I'm far from actually knowing what I'm talking about, my memory is a bit fuzzy, and the googles is full of misinformation.

I'll give VCM a call and also pop into Oztrack in the Riff for a chat.

Oztrack did the original bolt ons and tune.

34 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Big transmission cooler.

Don't these things have an electronic lockup anyway? So when cruising that's in charge, regardless of whether the converter is in the slip range. Amiright?

correct. it isnt 1985 anymore.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

correct. it isnt 1985 anymore.

Hey, I was 20 in 1985.......

Good times were had, I think I had my LJ around then.

Ahhh, fond memories of drag meets at port botany on Saturday nights.

In other news: I really need to research shit more.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2020 at 1:05 PM, mlr said:

I'm thinking a bobber type build, I'm to old and arthritic for a sports bike.

Maybe a Triumph Speedmaster bobbered and murdered out.

Fark, who am I kidding, It could end up being anything.....

I’m a fan of the matte triumph scramblers personally. 

Now you cannot see the butchered air cond heat exchanger.

I used some pinch weld I had laying around, it ain't pretty but it works, I may try some different pinch weld next time I'm near somewhere that sells it.

Radiator should be a bit more efficient as well, I'm guessing, as I'm not lossing air pressure in front of the radiator due to the air bypassing the radiator and entering the engine bay up and over the top.

Before20200430_164437.thumb.jpg.d3fbcfe72174e3d736270eb9be9f1bf4.jpg

After20200501_101921.thumb.jpg.758cbbca1d92db117f72cb5f892c46ce.jpg

• Like 2

Back on the more loud and obnoxious train of thought I have a lingenfelter 2 step for sale at the moment. It is the Lnc-003 that has 2 limiters, the lower limiter is activated when you flick a switch. Plugs straight into coil loom in minutes.

Was used to make boost at drags on the line (manual box) however is also pretty fun for shits and giggles, so I thought of this thread! Otherwise will put in ebay. 200 delivered

Spam over.

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

Back on the more loud and obnoxious train of thought I have a lingenfelter 2 step for sale at the moment. It is the Lnc-003 that has 2 limiters, the lower limiter is activated when you flick a switch. Plugs straight into coil loom in minutes.

Was used to make boost at drags on the line (manual box) however is also pretty fun for shits and giggles, so I thought of this thread! Otherwise will put in ebay. 200 delivered

Spam over.

Whilst I do love a good 2 step, yeah nah, #becauseslushbox