SAU Community

N/A R33 Misfire

DONO

Hey everyone, so I have a 1993 Series 1 R33 GTS Coupe (N/A) that's been having a slight misfire issue for a bit now. Ill try and detail the situation in hopes for a fix.

It occurs most commonly between 3200ish Rpm - 5000Rpm, however isn't occuring every time I put the foot to the floor, it comes and goes. I might drive out somewhere and it won't occur at all, then on the way home it may occur the whole time (only between said RPM range).

I have already replaced the coil packs, and installed new spark plugs gapped to 0.8, new fuel filter, new thermostat (was running cold for a bit).

I've read other 33's have this problem but usually they are turbo and always solve their issue by replacing coil packs or plugs.

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Probably the igniter.

Just ordered a replacement then, will update post if it makes any difference.

Have installed new igniter, can confirm it did not fix the problem.

Still open to suggestions as to what it can be.. :/

A used one from Jack Phillips, working as it should just wasn't the issue.

I've captured it on video just before and will post a link shortly, it was misfiring badly, that it wouldn't go above 3500RPM, acting almost like a limiter

Edited by DONO
Added video for show

You need to get a NEW one. The igniters develop a habit of breaking down when they get hot, then work fine when they cool back down.

Then  again, 3500 "limit" is MAF problem, IIRC.

I'm going to go through the list of things to check/replace one by one when I get the chance.

Can also confirm it's not MAF, cleaned it thoroughly with proper cleaner and check plug/pins etc everything is fine.

Still got to check CAS and fuel pressure.

As for getting a 'new' igniter, no idea where i'd be able to get a new oem one without paying $XXXX amounts for it.