SAU Community

If anyone is still in here...

20thousandRPM

Looking for a recommendations for good Victorian panel beater to do some work on a R33 GT-R.

Going through the threads on here I found MiColour recommended in the past but looks like they might have closed back in 2017? Is there anyone in here with recent experiences of taking their Skylines or GT-Rs to a panel shop and have had a good experience (and would be happy to recommend them)?

I have damaged rear quarter panel I need some work done on.

And also where the hell is everyone going to discuss their Skylines/ GT-Rs these days?!? It's bloody dead in here!

I've had Imperial Finish Body Works in Springvale do both insurance work and touch-up work and I've always been happy.  But it has been about 10 years since I've needed them do anything. So I can't give you a recent review.

• 1 month later...

SAU has died in the a$$ with the advent of Facebook. All the GTR pages there are thriving. Heaps of GTRs owners from all over Aus connecting and heaps of parts going round..a tonne of experience too and quick replies. There's some old threads here full of helpful info but unfortunately as Skylines have aged and mostly disappeared so has SAU....I occasionally check the 'for sale' threads here but even they're dead.

On 8/15/2020 at 4:48 AM, 20thousandRPM said:

And also where the hell is everyone going to discuss their Skylines/ GT-Rs these days?!? It's bloody dead in here!

And your MAGNIFICENT contribution to this site, 10 posts in 9 years... go and complain on bookface,you are just another oxygen thief

• 8 months later...

I don’t believe the gtr or import scene is dead. Its just evolved, and cat culture is now moving to a younger generation of people and cars. 90s and early 2000s imports are more expensive because everyone who had them back in the day want them again and will pay to dollar, while the younger drivers with not a lot of money can’t afford them and are switching to 86s and Golfs and Renaults. It’s not a bad thing, it’s just a passing of the torch.

It also has to do with the advent of forums vs social media/IG etc.

The communities foster different types of content, with current social media being along the lines of instant communication whereas a forum is more like email.

In depth discussion/technical information is pointless via IG/FB groups, but things like build threads or very quick questions work really well there. People generally do gravitate to asking very quick things on very complicated concepts (lol) which explains why people are there.

The amount of times I've written a massive reply to a very ill thought out quick question is kinda staggering. The sad thing is I'd have to do it many many many times on a platform like that, as opposed to this which is far more stable/searchable/centrally accessed. Generally the posts here follow the topic/question whereas in SM they follow the poster/person.