SAU Community

Not sure if i can turbo my rb30 motor HELP

JohnnyR31Silo

If anyone can fill in the gaps of what else I would need Or correct me if I’m wrong so I can turbo my car, that way I can actually try find out how much it would actually cost me and then I can make a decision from there would be greatly appreciated 

so far I know 

VL turbo injectors 

VL turbo ECU

Dump pipe 

Intercooler 

Garret T03 

Piping 

5 Stud conversion for r33 brakes 

Engine rebuild 

RB25 gearbox...

RB25 driveshaft..? 
Like i said if I’m wrong about anything please correct me if there is anything I missed please let me know..

itll just help me make my mind on what I’m going to do.. I’ll basically find how much everyone part will cost me and if I’m not happy I’ll just go with an NA build 

Thanks 

The above list with todays prices is a solid guesstimate of 20-25ish K.

Before labor.

Labor is by far the most expensive part of a project. The only things you're missing that come to mind in my mind are, airbox? pod? something for the intake?. Not sure if the gearbox truly lines up, fits, maybe need an adapter of some sort, I know neither R31's or VL's

You also need a clutch, which is another ~1k for something good/suitable/new

You will find doing this research that your options for things like "VL injectors (or any second hand part)" could very will be 80% of the cost of some new injectors that are fit for purpose.

You then get the fun decision of buying 30 year old, second hand parts or pay a little extra and get a nice, new, 0 year old part with better design. Apply this to any old second hand item.

And they say, there's nothing more expensive than doing things cheap :D

• Like 1

Yeah there's no point in choosing things on that list like an old stock ECU, the VL injectors, etc etc, just because they are second hand and therefore "cheaper" than a new alternative. You'd be insane to do anything with a VL ECU and injectors, some 35 years since they were not even at the apex of automotive tech.

Decent aftermarket ECU, injectors, fuel pump - that's the base of engine management. It will cost more outright, but A) you will be able to find them, because good luck actually finding the 2nd hand parts anyway, and B) they will work about 10000x better and cost you less in the long run from not having to clean the injectors before you start, replace something 6 months down the track because it let the smoke out, etc etc.

Greg's estimate of 20-25 is probably low. If you're paying anyone to do much in the way of labour, like working out how to mount the gearbox, scrounge around among wrecker contacts for bits and pieces, etc etc, then the $$ can rack up much faster than the parts themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 08/02/2022 at 9:49 AM, GTSBoy said:

Yeah there's no point in choosing things on that list like an old stock ECU, the VL injectors, etc etc, just because they are second hand and therefore "cheaper" than a new alternative. You'd be insane to do anything with a VL ECU and injectors, some 35 years since they were not even at the apex of automotive tech.

Decent aftermarket ECU, injectors, fuel pump - that's the base of engine management. It will cost more outright, but A) you will be able to find them, because good luck actually finding the 2nd hand parts anyway, and B) they will work about 10000x better and cost you less in the long run from not having to clean the injectors before you start, replace something 6 months down the track because it let the smoke out, etc etc.

Greg's estimate of 20-25 is probably low. If you're paying anyone to do much in the way of labour, like working out how to mount the gearbox, scrounge around among wrecker contacts for bits and pieces, etc etc, then the $$ can rack up much faster than the parts themselves.

I wouldn’t get secondhand injectors I found a guy but his charging 900 so prob won’t even bother since I can get these for cheaper and they seem better, with the ecu probably better if getting NISTUNE 

I’ll send some photos of the injectors anyway like I said I’m just trying to find out the cost and what not I’m more leaning towards getting an rb25det gearbox since mine will eventually shit on me it’s already playing up abit, just would like more info about the doing the conversion from what I know the tail shaft has to be modded, I need an s3 auto cross member gearbox mount 

6AB1E76C-F2F8-4CD8-A40F-01D4A8D95809.png

2154400E-DF00-4449-84A3-AFF826025A43.jpeg

Someone also told me to get r33 clutch, flywheel, sandwich plate, bearing, fork and he said mount.. guessing he means gearbox mount I’m not exactly sure

but yeah any advice would be appreciated.. 

worst case I don’t end up going turbo at least iv got a good gearbox, an then I can eventually put a stage 2 cam or something 

On 10/02/2022 at 11:03 PM, Ben C34 said:

Lol, stage 2 cam. Good one.

Also who the f**k is telling you what to get? It's all kinds of weird.

Crow cams? Why’s it funny? 
this guy I spoke to on Facebook that has an r31 with rb25 gearbox his been telling me what he did 

My commodore LS1 has a stage 1 cam, my RB25 had a stage 2 cam, I believe the Ford Coyote engine has a stage 4 cam, or was that the total amount of cams an engine has???? Sorry

I blame marketing and the youth of today for their "stage" builds

You really need to know the cam specs for your application, a turbo cam should have different specs to a NA or Supercharged cam, as well as what you use the car for, is it a race car that will live at high rpm, or a street car that requires manners down low, big turbo or small turbo, what gears you run can come onto the equation as well

Incorrect cam choice based of "stages" sounds like a recipe for disaster 

There are some knowledgeable people here, "I'm NOT one of them", but in the end I would talk to a "reputable" engine builder with your requirements and make your cam choice based of actual induction type, vehicles usage and all the other technical magic that can actually help, not picking a "stage" cam based of a random person on the interwebs recommendation 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/how-to/how-to-pick-the-right-camshaft/amp/

Have fun, have a plan, have a budget (and then double your budget)

On 14/02/2022 at 3:46 PM, niZmO_Man said:

The "stages" are from Gran Turismo. So you'll have to refer to Gran Turismo 7 (when it comes out) to find out the specs :P

When I looked in crow cams a while back for r31 rb30 it had 3 stage cams so idk