SAU Community

S2 xenon vs non xenon

BiggestRon22

Hey everyone, I was doing some research to see what type of lights which housing uses and my understanding is the Xenon housing uses D2R lights and the non Xenon uses H1 lights.

do I have my info right? 

I only ask because I’m looking to get different housings to make custom lights and can’t really find anything specific enough!

thanks in advance!

Well.....yeah. I mean, the xenons clearly use HID projectors (of which D2R is a specific type, and I don't know if that is the type in the S2 headlights) and the non-xenon headlight obviously use halogen bulbs, and it is reasonably likely that they use H1....but they could also be H3 or H3C or maybe even H7. Again, in this particular case, I don't know exactly which one they use. The R32s, for example, have used multiple types, H1 and H3, over the years.

There shouldn't be any confusion for you between what main type of light source is used in the two types. One is Xenon (HID) and the other is halogen. It only comes down to exactly which bulb type is used in each, which should be easily findable (for the halogen) and hardly matter for the HIDs. If you're going to make custom lights, you're not going to want to pay the money for HIDs and then gut them. Surely you're most likely to start with plain jane ones.

D2R bulbs are designed for HIDs in reflector housings. There is a shield built into the bulb to help it be compliant with the local design rules. My LS400 uses those. Looking at the C34 Stagea factory HID housings they are reflectors and will call for D2R bulbs. They are pretty annoying in the sense that reflectors are not simple to do an LHT or RHT conversion for. My LS400 also requires one of the low beams to be dipped significantly to avoid excessive glare as the reflector design is not exactly ideal.