SAU Community

Gauge Setups

On 12/21/2022 at 7:46 AM, Duncan said:

Connect a CAN analyser to the Link CAN and then connect that to the Android head unit by USB. I'll post up more details in the Stagea's thread when I get time over the break, a couple of things have been a pain

httpsstatics3.seeedstudio.comseeedfile20

https://www.seeedstudio.com/USB-CAN-Analyzer-p-2888.html

Depending on the generation of Link ECU - G4+ vs G4X,
the G4+ will transmit data to RealDash via the Link USB Tuning cable and an ECU configured 'Serial Datastream'
https://www.realdash.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21

Unfortunately the Serial Datastream > RealDash function isn't available in the G4X and is somewhat limited in parameters anyway.

That said - the CAN Analyser method Duncan suggested is definitely the way to go;
Not only because it opens endless possibilities with fully customizable CANBus Streams - allowing you to send almost any parameter from the Link ECU you want,
but due to RealDash having the ability to both send and receive CAN Data - RealDash can be setup as a CAN Keypad as well via triggers or onscreen "buttons"

Dash_Edit_3.thumb.png.e76cf83a3b0241e2939d75544672c3bc.png

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jdniss said:

Depending on the generation of Link ECU - G4+ vs G4X,
the G4+ will transmit data to RealDash via the Link USB Tuning cable and an ECU configured 'Serial Datastream'
https://www.realdash.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21

Unfortunately the Serial Datastream > RealDash function isn't available in the G4X and is somewhat limited in parameters anyway.

That said - the CAN Analyser method Duncan suggested is definitely the way to go;
Not only because it opens endless possibilities with fully customizable CANBus Streams - allowing you to send almost any parameter from the Link ECU you want,
but due to RealDash having the ability to both send and receive CAN Data - RealDash can be setup as a CAN Keypad as well via triggers or onscreen "buttons"

Dash_Edit_3.thumb.png.e76cf83a3b0241e2939d75544672c3bc.png

Realdash can be setup as a can keypad?? 😳

Is this possible to setup with a phone or similar with a Haltech?

6 hours ago, soviet_merlin said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the warm percentage on the left hand side above the water temp?

Just warm up enrichment percentage - I was chasing my tail on a few things and it was using it shortly for troubleshooting, but never got around to swapping it out for a different parameter.

It also had a 'VTC/NVCS Active' light for a while, along with current 4D Ignition value - but swapped them out for "CLL Fuel" Closed Loop Percentage and AFR Target.
The current config is sending across roughly 35 different parameters from the ECU - but only displaying 10 or so on that first page.

1 hour ago, Borci88 said:

Yeh, at least with a Link ECU - this is being used on an Android phone currently - just to toggle different Boost Maps via CAN on that first page - you could create a whole page of buttons and replicate a keypad.
Effectively any ECU function that be toggled via CANBus, should be possible to toggle from RealDash ~ Launch Control activation, Intercooler/Water Spray, NOS activation, Fan activation, etc.

I don't have a Haltech ECU to test with, so couldn't tell you 100%;
Might be worth asking the question on the Realdash Forum - https://www.realdash.net/forum/index.php

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Borci88 said:

I'd be very keen to hear more about this as well! Also for a Haltech ECU.

Just having a bit of a search and it might depend. I have an Elite ECU and might be out of luck. Apparently they don't even support the Haltech CAN keypad and people have been asking for support for a long time [0]. If I see it right their official keypads work with the Nexus ECUs only.

Looks like Realdash can write via CAN though [1]. Not that it helps much if the ECU doesn't accept incoming messages.

[0] https://forums.haltech.com/viewtopic.php?t=34357

[1] https://github.com/janimm/RealDash-extras/blob/master/RealDash-CAN/realdash-can-protocol.md#writing-can-frames-from-realdash-to-device

The developer has a full Haltech XML up on his Github,
some of the commands down the very bottom look pretty close to my current CAN "Send Button" toggle actions to the Link - the startbit and bitcount data matches those functions - so it may be possible..

https://github.com/janimm/RealDash-extras/blob/master/RealDash-CAN/XML-files/Haltech/haltech_v2_can.xml

Github Haltech XML

1353351089_HaltechXML.thumb.PNG.21836430ddcccc63fae2612c35462c74.PNG

My Link XML

232742881_LinkCANRecieve.thumb.PNG.99e1f91451f70fe8cb10b3137ca196f1.PNG

• Like 1

On 21/12/2022 at 7:46 AM, Duncan said:

Connect a CAN analyser to the Link CAN and then connect that to the Android head unit by USB. I'll post up more details in the Stagea's thread when I get time over the break, a couple of things have been a pain

https://www.seeedstudio.com/USB-CAN-Analyzer-p-2888.html

Thanks for the link! Ordered one to have a bit of a play around.

I like the idea of not permanently installing a head unit, but instead just being able to plug in a cheap phone or tablet to try out some stuff or to log data. Use a good suction cup mount and run it that way. And it can all be stowed away in the glove box when not needed.

10 hours ago, jdniss said:

The developer has a full Haltech XML up on his Github,
some of the commands down the very bottom look pretty close to my current CAN "Send Button" toggle actions to the Link - the startbit and bitcount data matches those functions - so it may be possible..

Ooo, good stuff!

10 hours ago, BK said:

Hatech Elite supports canbus keypad if using NSP

Nice, thanks for mentioning that! Looks like NSP has been supporting the Elites since at least end of 2021.

https://www.haltech.com/news-events/nsp-for-elite-is-here/

Even if it isn't possible to use that converter to end up with a Haltech can keypad using a phone or tablet, do we still think it's possible to use the converter via USB into a phone/tablet and have it display can data?  Instead of going the haltech OBD2 Cable and Bluetooth/wifi dongle to your phone/tablet?

Yes, Haltech is one of many supported ECUs for Realdash.

Just to add one thing to jdniss's post above, I believe the CAN analyser is better (despite the stuffing around with wiring) than OBD2 or G4+ via USB as the refresh rate is much higher.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Yes, Haltech is one of many supported ECUs for Realdash.

Just to add one thing to jdniss's post above, I believe the CAN analyser is better (despite the stuffing around with wiring) than OBD2 or G4+ via USB as the refresh rate is much higher.

That's fantastic, I might start ordering some pieces and report back on if everyone was right and you can use your phone as a can keypad with a Haltech elite.

Is the file from GitHub installed into the can analyser or into a file in the haltech elite?

@BK are you saying that Haltech elite supports a HALTECH canbus keypad if you're using NSP, or that Haltech elites can support any type of canbus keypad as long as you're using NSP.

56 minutes ago, Borci88 said:

@BK are you saying that Haltech elite supports a HALTECH canbus keypad if you're using NSP, or that Haltech elites can support any type of canbus keypad as long as you're using NSP.

I have no idea about other keypads, but the Haltech canbus keypad become compatible with the Elite with a Nexus firmware release in March 2022. So using the latest 3.XX firmware you'd have to be using NSP not ESP for keypad.

• Like 1

Just now, Borci88 said:

Is the file from GitHub installed into the can analyser or into a file in the haltech elite?

It looks to be the generic "CAN Definition" pre-loaded into RealDash to connect to a specific Haltech CAN stream.
In RealDash you'd load this file via Garage > *Door* > Dashboard > Connections > CAN Definition File > Haltech > CAN V2;
Then assuming you had the matched CAN Config loaded into the Haltech - it should start transmitting data to RealDash.
Not sure what that would be though - nothing jumps out at me in ESP/NSP.

In the Link ECU world the matching CAN Stream is for memory "Generic Dash" - then you'd select the corresponding "Link Short CAN" Definition file within RealDash to read/display the CAN data within that stream, on the RealDash side.

Nothing gets installed onto the CAN Analyzer per-say - you configure a CAN Bit Rate (ie. 1Mbits)  and CAN ID (ie. 1000) once, via the provided Seeedstudio software - this must match the CAN Setup on the ECU side, otherwise it won't work at all.

247666296_LinkCAN.thumb.PNG.6ddd3cf8cdfbdab85d47db1fde6949bb.PNG

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, jdniss said:

It looks to be the generic "CAN Definition" pre-loaded into RealDash to connect to a specific Haltech CAN stream.
In RealDash you'd load this file via Garage > *Door* > Dashboard > Connections > CAN Definition File > Haltech > CAN V2;
Then assuming you had the matched CAN Config loaded into the Haltech - it should start transmitting data to RealDash.
Not sure what that would be though - nothing jumps out at me in ESP/NSP.

In the Link ECU world the matching CAN Stream is for memory "Generic Dash" - then you'd select the corresponding "Link Short CAN" Definition file within RealDash to read/display the CAN data within that stream, on the RealDash side.

Nothing gets installed onto the CAN Analyzer per-say - you configure a CAN Bit Rate (ie. 1Mbits)  and CAN ID (ie. 1000) once, via the provided Seeedstudio software - this must match the CAN Setup on the ECU side, otherwise it won't work at all.

247666296_LinkCAN.thumb.PNG.6ddd3cf8cdfbdab85d47db1fde6949bb.PNG

I'm now wondering if theres slim pickings that the Haltech setup will work as a can keypad + gauges, and whether or not it's just better to go with an OBD2 Wifi Adapter and have it only display gauges as that's tried and true with Haltech.

I can see that that github file was posted in 2021 meaning someone must have tried it out by now and either had some success or failure.. Is there a forum on that website talking about it at all? I certainly can't see one.

7 hours ago, Borci88 said:

are you saying that Haltech elite supports a HALTECH canbus keypad if you're using NSP, or that Haltech elites can support any type of canbus keypad as long as you're using NSP.

Unfortunately Haltech only supports Haltech branded Greyhill canbus keypads.

I recall it has to do it with the address used.

8 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Unfortunately Haltech only supports Haltech branded Greyhill canbus keypads.

I recall it has to do it with the address used.

Unfortunately it makes sense, why would you allow cheaper universal keypads when you have your own ecosystem of products.

Just now, Borci88 said:

Unfortunately it makes sense, why would you allow cheaper universal keypads when you have your own ecosystem of products.

I remember reading somewhere Link now supports canbus keypads, and you can adapt whatever you like. I believe same applies to MoTec, just buy any Grayhill keypad and off you go.

No need to be locked into Haltech's ecosystem.