SAU Community

Gauge Setups

What gauge setups are you guys running? Can't decide if i want to get multiple gauges fitted onto the dash or the A pillar vs getting the Haltech ic7 digital display. Curious to see what direction you guys went with. Post your pics!

I have run everything from centre mount Defi setup, a pillar mounted autometer, powertune digital display on the column.

I now use the realdash app on my head unit. Heaps cleaner, multiple custom display setups and connects to ecu over usb/CAN. Doesn't draw attention or standout. 

Google is your friend for pics.

What do you do with the car

Like Rob I've used gauges, loggers and dashes in the race and street cars, depends what you are looking for.

Of course, nothing beats Power FC hand controller for combination of engine display and ability to adjust tune if required

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Do you have an aftermarket ECU? If so I don't see how anyone would consider getting anything other then a dash that talks to the ECU over CAN in this day and age.

or can bus gauges when you don't want to swap out your factory dash like me.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Old man 32 GTR said:

Old setup with triple Defi gauges and new setup with double din stereo and motec C1212 dash 

66F1E452-23C8-4E2F-88F0-65DF4F47CE71.jpeg

988246F6-DF20-4E70-A458-5ED82DDE1564.jpeg

7D1DA00B-CA2A-403B-9984-B256858BE3AC.jpeg

A30BF5C4-4D53-4016-AEBA-3AED35A1815E.jpeg

71F7EE3B-ABBC-45F8-A737-4D6FC91570D6.jpeg

Dang... that motec dash is really nice 😍 

how are you liking the double din setup? was it difficult to move the climate control to the top? i hear that some double din allows you to display the gauges on the screen

and what did you do with the OEM triple cluster?

Street use?

This is Realdash in the stagea (horrible reflections but your get the idea) on an android head unit. Much easier to read than the pic implies

spacer.png

different screens and skins available, can display whatever you have in the ECU (makes more sense to attach a sender to the ECU than have a sender for a dedicated physical gauge)

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the Fuga I have a plug and play Greddy Informeter mounted next to the screen

spacer.png

Race car I use IQ3 for data logging and driver display and IC7 for driver/nav functions. I can't find any pics handy but the IQ3 is on the steering column partially obscuring the stock dash (which I kept for speedo, torque gauge and warning lights and the IC7 is mounted in front of the centre vents which are inop in the race car. Obviously the IQ3 has a logging function and analysis software which is super useful for race/rally

• Like 1

Some thoughts on what I learned on this:

- Think twice before drilling into your dash or A-pillar to mount your gauges. When you change your mind and take them out again it looks like ass. I have holes in my A-pillar where a gauge used to live and I hate it. The Stagea for example has one huge trim piece that covers both A- and B-pillars. It can be purchased but it's meant to be an absolute bitch to remove and put back again so I haven't dared. I wouldn't be surprised if you would have to pay drug money to buy trim pieces for an older GTR.

- Go with something that can talk CAN bus. There are only limited spots to mount sensors. If it is on a gauge because it is important to monitor, it's important to the ECU as well for engine protection.

- Having gauges stuck all over the place can raise extra attention by police when being pulled over.

That said, especially at night I like the look of analogue gauges. Here's a photo of mine with Defi din gauges. Looks pretty much OEM. Also the mutilated A-pillar. The wideband lives in the glovebox so it's normally hidden.

gauges_1.thumb.jpg.af699b14dbaf90b6a8fc3d2bed5404b9.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 11:07 PM, soviet_merlin said:

Some thoughts on what I learned on this:

- Think twice before drilling into your dash or A-pillar to mount your gauges. When you change your mind and take them out again it looks like ass. I have holes in my A-pillar where a gauge used to live and I hate it. The Stagea for example has one huge trim piece that covers both A- and B-pillars. It can be purchased but it's meant to be an absolute bitch to remove and put back again so I haven't dared. I wouldn't be surprised if you would have to pay drug money to buy trim pieces for an older GTR.

- Go with something that can talk CAN bus. There are only limited spots to mount sensors. If it is on a gauge because it is important to monitor, it's important to the ECU as well for engine protection.

- Having gauges stuck all over the place can raise extra attention by police when being pulled over.

That said, especially at night I like the look of analogue gauges. Here's a photo of mine with Defi din gauges. Looks pretty much OEM. Also the mutilated A-pillar. The wideband lives in the glovebox so it's normally hidden.

gauges_1.thumb.jpg.af699b14dbaf90b6a8fc3d2bed5404b9.jpg

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I see the holes in the a-pillar, i know what you mean now. I was also worried about changing my mind and having holes around my dash and a-pillar. 

Edited by kevboost7

On 12/10/2022 at 4:40 PM, Duncan said:

Street use?

This is Realdash in the stagea (horrible reflections but your get the idea) on an android head unit. Much easier to read than the pic implies

spacer.png

different screens and skins available, can display whatever you have in the ECU (makes more sense to attach a sender to the ECU than have a sender for a dedicated physical gauge)

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the Fuga I have a plug and play Greddy Informeter mounted next to the screen

spacer.png

Race car I use IQ3 for data logging and driver display and IC7 for driver/nav functions. I can't find any pics handy but the IQ3 is on the steering column partially obscuring the stock dash (which I kept for speedo, torque gauge and warning lights and the IC7 is mounted in front of the centre vents which are inop in the race car. Obviously the IQ3 has a logging function and analysis software which is super useful for race/rally

How do you connect the real dash app to your ECU?

56 minutes ago, kevboost7 said:

How do you connect the real dash app to your ECU?

Connect a CAN analyser to the Link CAN and then connect that to the Android head unit by USB. I'll post up more details in the Stagea's thread when I get time over the break, a couple of things have been a pain

httpsstatics3.seeedstudio.comseeedfile20

https://www.seeedstudio.com/USB-CAN-Analyzer-p-2888.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Meanwhile I've pulled out all the gauges from my car.

Less distractions, let the ECU and multi level engine protection strategies do the hard work.

Will at some stage put in a small dash or just maybe a CAN gauge.

This! all of this!! If you’ve got time to look at gauges then you’re not driving fast enough. 

• Like 2