SAU Community

Gauge Setups

Haltech can gauge is excellent. Has 10 pages that can have 1 to 4 parameters each which is a lot of potential info, so only one gauge is in each car.

Is good for referencing all the main stuff without having the pc connected. Page 1 for me is always set on afr.

• Like 2

I'm running an IC7 and Realdash. I had actually worked with Jani at Realdash to get it to work with some oem nissan ecu's over consult 2 years ago before his house unfortunately burnt down. We have not spoken since. 

I made the move over to Haltech but hopefully he incorporated the changes into a public release as it was 95% complete and working great. 

On 21/12/2022 at 10:44 AM, BK said:

Haltech can gauge is excellent. Has 10 pages that can have 1 to 4 parameters each which is a lot of potential info, so only one gauge is in each car.

Is good for referencing all the main stuff without having the pc connected. Page 1 for me is always set on afr.

This is where Power FC kills all these modern ECUs where expensive add ons are required for less functions (eg, no tuning without a laptop plugged in)

I've got one of those CAN gauges too (original not haltech branded) and while it is a useful compromise in terms of what it can display if you are troubleshooting a problem, it is only really readable while driving in the 1 gauge per page mode (it can display up to 4 per page), has no colours / warning colour change / peak hold or display etc.

And while I agree engine protection like Haltech runs is a good safety net, the problem is you have no idea why it triggers unless you have some sort of external displays too. And for racing use it is essential but also an absolute pain in the arse because you have to turn the whole car off to get it running again, and you still don't know what the issue was until you plug a laptop in at the end of the race or at service. Better systems would let you setup warnings for things which are not instant engine death so you can decide whether to keep going or not; for example a coolant temp warning at say 120o that you could choose to ignore if you were within a klm of the stage finish.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

And while I agree engine protection like Haltech runs is a good safety net, the problem is you have no idea why it triggers unless you have some sort of external displays too. And for racing use it is essential but also an absolute pain in the arse because you have to turn the whole car off to get it running again, and you still don't know what the issue was until you plug a laptop in at the end of the race or at service. Better systems would let you setup warnings for things which are not instant engine death so you can decide whether to keep going or not; for example a coolant temp warning at say 120o that you could choose to ignore if you were within a klm of the stage finish.

This. If you're using Haltech (or equivalent) and the available engine protection, you'd be mad to not also be using the Haltch (or equivalent) dash with all the information presentation options leveraged.

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

Better systems would let you setup warnings for things which are not instant engine death so you can decide whether to keep going or not; for example a coolant temp warning at say 120o that you could choose to ignore if you were within a klm of the stage finish.

You can do that. The GaugeArt Haltech canbus gauge you can setup warnings in any parameter which do change the screen colour from black to white and activate an additional red led if programmed.

In 4 parameters per page resolution the display is no smaller than the Power FC at 8 parameter monitor setup.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Duncan said:

This is where Power FC kills all these modern ECUs where expensive add ons are required for less functions (eg, no tuning without a laptop plugged in)

I've got one of those CAN gauges too (original not haltech branded) and while it is a useful compromise in terms of what it can display if you are troubleshooting a problem, it is only really readable while driving in the 1 gauge per page mode (it can display up to 4 per page), has no colours / warning colour change / peak hold or display etc.

Who doesn’t own a laptop in 2022, Duncan?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, r32-25t said:

50k engine vs a $5 trophy know which one I care more about 

It is not that simple in cases other than oil pressure....I've got no issue letting the engine run hotter than a pre-defined threshold for a period of time, I've had water temp over 130o without permanent damage. Another specific case....I once spun a bearing at the last corner at Wakie on the last lap in the lead, and you bet I continued to the finish line....

2 hours ago, Piggaz said:

Who doesn’t own a laptop in 2022, Duncan?

I sure own a laptop, but I don't chuck it every car every time I go for a drive.....

3 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

Can't you just use a dash tablet/double DIN head unit for this stuff? I feel like I've seen people doing exactly that for these cars with a standalone ECU.

Yes, that is the realdash setup I posted above from my Stagea. That can show any parameter from the ECU CAN on the head unit via the Real Dash app.

10 hours ago, Duncan said:

You can 100% do this with the IC7. 

So things like water temp, you can setup an alarm / warning to trigger whenever you like. Then while racing, you can hit a button on the IC7 and clear the warning. 

As for your engine protection, you can set the values higher then your initial dash warnings. 

IC7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Powertune Digital display for ages. It was absolutely awesome. The support was absolutely fkn amazing. I was able to do a remote session with them on a sunday arvo to diagnose/fix a small issue(I'm very picky).

I jumped onto the IC7 train and onsold the display to a close mate who absolutely loves it as well. You can customize everything and anything, unlike the IC7.

I personally think, that the only advantage the IC7 has is boot up speed. My only gripe with the Powertune dash was the bootup time of around 13-15 seconds(compared to around 6-8 for the IC7). Everything else, the powertune dash does it better. 

I designed my own R34 MFD style dash as well as many others. If you're good with computers/graphics then get the powertune dash, end of story.

Regarding the bootup speed, the newer powertune dashes are much quicker(Not sure how fast). I do regret selling my dash. I'm pondering selling my IC7 and buying a new powertune dash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Can't you just use a dash tablet/double DIN head unit for this stuff? I feel like I've seen people doing exactly that for these cars with a standalone ECU.

I did that. Too much effort. Had to boot up windows, launch the app, etc etc etc. 

On 11/12/2022 at 8:10 AM, Duncan said:

Street use?

This is Realdash in the stagea (horrible reflections but your get the idea) on an android head unit. Much easier to read than the pic implies

spacer.png

different screens and skins available, can display whatever you have in the ECU (makes more sense to attach a sender to the ECU than have a sender for a dedicated physical gauge)

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the Fuga I have a plug and play Greddy Informeter mounted next to the screen

spacer.png

Race car I use IQ3 for data logging and driver display and IC7 for driver/nav functions. I can't find any pics handy but the IQ3 is on the steering column partially obscuring the stock dash (which I kept for speedo, torque gauge and warning lights and the IC7 is mounted in front of the centre vents which are inop in the race car. Obviously the IQ3 has a logging function and analysis software which is super useful for race/rally

Hey mate,

the realdash, what ecu's can you use with it?

Im thinking of modernising my 32gtst dash cluster

According to Real Dash

Is it possible to add support for my favourite ECU?

In theory, any ECU that is capable of sending serial (USB, Bluetooth, WiFi) data can be made compatible with RealDash. Another option is to use CAN-Serial adapter, like SPLeinonen's DashBox.

They have a very long list of ECU specific forums here: https://www.realdash.net/forum/, but basically any OBD2, Nissan Consult, Link, Haltech etc etc 

47 minutes ago, Adz2332 said:

awesome thank you! im looking at ecu's now for my 32 gtst. could be a nice way to modernize the dash

Its great not having extra stuff on the dash, been using realdash for a while, setup just took a bit of time to get what gauges & setup I wanted.

• Like 2