SAU Community

RB20de parts on RB20e?

Before we get too far down this hole, what are you looking for?

As I said in that other thread....

The unfortunate reality is that no budget to modify a non turbo car will result in no improvement (mostly likely outcome will be less power, rough running and bad fuel economy)

Basically, the bang for bucks with a non turbo car built as a bottom of the range model is going to be terrible.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Before we get too far down this hole, what are you looking for?

As I said in that other thread....

The unfortunate reality is that no budget to modify a non turbo car will result in no improvement (mostly likely outcome will be less power, rough running and bad fuel economy)

Basically, the bang for bucks with a non turbo car built as a bottom of the range model is going to be terrible.

I live in a country where there are barely any "modified" cars am just looking for a few mods just to increase the fun factor so i could sell for somewhat of a profit (people where i live are crazy for cars but dont have)

I can count how many skylines that are here on my hand

I am lookin for a cheap turbo setup with intercooler (something that will make a little bit more power), injectors, etc please advise me on what would be best 

44 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

no parts will swap over and the amount of money to get any performance out of that motor is wasted as be no worth while gain.
Save $$$$ and swap to a rb25det or rb30det in the future. 

only 3 rb25's in my country :(

importing is expensive af (7.5k for engine with displacement in-between 2.5-3.0 and 25k for 3.0+)

18 minutes ago, NedethAnswers said:

I am lookin for a cheap turbo setup with intercooler (something that will make a little bit more power), injectors, etc please advise me on what would be best

There will be no such thing. No-one will have made a kit for an RB20E at any time. Why would they, when there were the RB20DE and DET to base things off of? Money spent putting a turbo and injectors and management upgrades etc etc etc, on a base model forkilft counterweight like a single cam 2L six would be better spent snorting cocaine off a dead hooker's arse. The RB20E is a slow, torqueless, powerless slug of a thing.

Even if there had been some deluded JDM crowd in the mid 90s who decided to put out a kit, they would have sold about 3 of them and none of the parts would still exist.

So, if you want to turbo the engine you have, you are not looking at anything "easy" or "cheap" or "off the shelf" or "off another RB20". You are looking at a complete custom install. You are going to need to modify the existing exhaust manifold, or fabricate another. You are going to need injectors. You are going to need a fuel pump, You are going to need a clutch (because trust me, the stocker will not hold 50% more torque). You're going to need to completely fabricate the intake piping, from filter to turbo, turbo to cooler, cooler to TB. And because you have to fabricate all these things, it really doesn't matter what turbo you buy (ie, it could be from an RB20DET, or it could be from a 25DET, or it could be a Toyota turbo (think CT20) or it could be a Mitsubishi turbo (think TD04), or it could be a brand newer Garrett GT25. From the perspective of making it fit, it will be all the same. Ditto the intercooler. You just need a core that's about the right size to fit and with tank inlet/outlet that will work with the appropriate pipe route. Mounting it and plumbing it is then all up to you to work out.

At least fuelling, management, clutch, etc are all going to be same-same with other Cefiros and Skylines. Just buy 2nd hand or aftermarket rated to do the job.

By the time you have done all this, you will have spent approx 3x what it would cost to simply drop in an RB25DE, and would only barely be faster. And the RB25DE would be considered by everyone here to be too slow to both with anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NedethAnswers said:

ahhhh sorry, i seem to have worded it wrong very sorry

I was referring to aftermarket intercoolers(pipings,etc) and manifolds?

once again, very sorry...

And just to follow up on this - the RB20DE was a non-turbo engine. There were no intercoolers for them. As I said above wrt the RB20E, there were probably no aftermarket kits specifically for the DE either. But it hardly matters, because the intercooler doesn't care what engine it is connected to (so long as the cooler is not too small). The intercooler hangs out the front of the car at the other end of a few neters of pipework.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

There will be no such thing. No-one will have made a kit for an RB20E at any time. Why would they, when there were the RB20DE and DET to base things off of? Money spent putting a turbo and injectors and management upgrades etc etc etc, on a base model forkilft counterweight like a single cam 2L six would be better spent snorting cocaine off a dead hooker's arse. The RB20E is a slow, torqueless, powerless slug of a thing.

Even if there had been some deluded JDM crowd in the mid 90s who decided to put out a kit, they would have sold about 3 of them and none of the parts would still exist.

So, if you want to turbo the engine you have, you are not looking at anything "easy" or "cheap" or "off the shelf" or "off another RB20". You are looking at a complete custom install. You are going to need to modify the existing exhaust manifold, or fabricate another. You are going to need injectors. You are going to need a fuel pump, You are going to need a clutch (because trust me, the stocker will not hold 50% more torque). You're going to need to completely fabricate the intake piping, from filter to turbo, turbo to cooler, cooler to TB. And because you have to fabricate all these things, it really doesn't matter what turbo you buy (ie, it could be from an RB20DET, or it could be from a 25DET, or it could be a Toyota turbo (think CT20) or it could be a Mitsubishi turbo (think TD04), or it could be a brand newer Garrett GT25. From the perspective of making it fit, it will be all the same. Ditto the intercooler. You just need a core that's about the right size to fit and with tank inlet/outlet that will work with the appropriate pipe route. Mounting it and plumbing it is then all up to you to work out.

At least fuelling, management, clutch, etc are all going to be same-same with other Cefiros and Skylines. Just buy 2nd hand or aftermarket rated to do the job.

By the time you have done all this, you will have spent approx 3x what it would cost to simply drop in an RB25DE, and would only barely be faster. And the RB25DE would be considered by everyone here to be too slow to both with anyway.

Thank you sooo much for the info, i will keep it in mind when working on the car

The only problem is getting a RB25, as the price to get it would be well over 10k due to importing fees and tax in my country 

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

What's the go to fast car in Fiji?

Something FWD, possibly imported 2nd hand from Japan. I haven't been there for a long while, but they typically had Peroduas and other crap out of Malaysia, etc. So it used to be Daihatsu and Mitsubishi based stuff.

There will probably be a flood of Korean/Thai/Chinese stuff now. None of it will be fast.

• Like 1