SAU Community

RB25DET Help.

4 minutes ago, R3N3 said:

Obviously it’s all your choice, so if you want to be able to lift the bonnet and see obvious performance parts, then go for it and spend the many moneys to look the part. Otherwise, there’s some real good advice here to do things properly utilising as many stock parts as possible (note the stock manifolds will always be better than cheap Chinese knock off ones).

I personally went a hypergear turbo in the stock turbo location and a Greddy front facing plenum for 300ish kw. I’m still spending thousands on fab work, so nothing is really cheap haha. Note than when using stock location items, you can generally get quality off the shelf kits for exhaust, intake and cooler piping, so minimal fab work will be required..

with the fab work, ive got a welder so my idea was to by the suitable sized piping and cut it up and weld it together myself, if it is clearly going to leak then ill just try my best to use silicone joiners in tough spots. plus if i can do what i plan on doing and do a front facing plennum and a top mount turbo, it should make it easier to route the piping. however i may change my mind on the top mount turbo as a lot of people say its not worth it, so that may save me a bit?

Just now, JayJay777 said:

with the fab work, ive got a welder so my idea was to by the suitable sized piping and cut it up and weld it together myself, if it is clearly going to leak then ill just try my best to use silicone joiners in tough spots. plus if i can do what i plan on doing and do a front facing plennum and a top mount turbo, it should make it easier to route the piping. however i may change my mind on the top mount turbo as a lot of people say its not worth it, so that may save me a bit?

Only you can answer if its worth the expense.. Again, if you want to do it for looks and have the cash to splash, then go for it. I personally didn't like the look of the stock intake, which was my main reason to go front facing plenum (have a look at my build thread)

ditching the top mount will definitely save you $$.. which will be better spent on a good ecu and tune.

my advice.. plan the build and think of every part you will need.. i underestimated costs on a lot of things haha. i have easily spent over $20k and that's without a top mount..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, R3N3 said:

Only you can answer if its worth the expense.. Again, if you want to do it for looks and have the cash to splash, then go for it. I personally didn't like the look of the stock intake, which was my main reason to go front facing plenum (have a look at my build thread)

ditching the top mount will definitely save you $$.. which will be better spent on a good ecu and tune.

my advice.. plan the build and think of every part you will need.. i underestimated costs on a lot of things haha. i have easily spent over $20k and that's without a top mount..

yeah im not sure if you saw, but im sure if you scroll up on the thread youll see full list of parts ive got to buy so far and all of that is around 6k, i know im gonna need more but for now i thought it wasnt bad considering thats a big chunk of the stuff i believe ill need, but by all means do critique my list of parts.. just dont be too mean about it haha

easy $20K these days to do it properly my lateset sr20 setup is around $15k doing all the fab, wiring and mechanical myself with products that were heavily discounted.

buy BMW M2 enjoy life or for the financially challenged buy a bf falcon and slap a pulsar on and be done with it if only wanting to chop ya mates     

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JayJay777 said:

yeah im not sure if you saw, but im sure if you scroll up on the thread youll see full list of parts ive got to buy so far and all of that is around 6k, i know im gonna need more but for now i thought it wasnt bad considering thats a big chunk of the stuff i believe ill need, but by all means do critique my list of parts.. just dont be too mean about it haha

yeah, i mean detailed everything adds up!

injectors

fuel rail

fittings

fuel pressure regulator

fuel lines

gaskets

bolts/nuts

oil and water lines

new exhaust gasket

turbo gasket

v-band clamps

sensors for the ecu (oil pressure, map, fuel pressure etc.)

boost solenoid

wiring, wiring tools and connectors

oil

coolant

and many many more things...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robbo_rb180 said:

easy $20K these days to do it properly my lateset sr20 setup is around $15k doing all the fab, wiring and mechanical myself with products that were heavily discounted.

buy BMW M2 enjoy life or for the financially challenged buy a bf falcon and slap a pulsar on and be done with it if only wanting to chop ya mates     

nah not just wanting to chop mates, im also making it into sort of a show car. so whats the biggest part of the cost, cause if you scroll up youll see the list ive made and it comes to just under 6k, obviously its missing a lot but im just curious

2 minutes ago, R3N3 said:

yeah, i mean detailed everything adds up!

injectors

fuel rail

fittings

fuel pressure regulator

fuel lines

gaskets

bolts/nuts

oil and water lines

new exhaust gasket

turbo gasket

v-band clamps

sensors for the ecu (oil pressure, map, fuel pressure etc.)

boost solenoid

wiring, wiring tools and connectors

oil

coolant

and many many more things...

ill definitely have to go through the list and add any missing pieces onto my own list. however i have what is probably a dumb question.. whats a boost solenoid? whenever i search it up it mainly comes up with a boost controller.

52 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Tell him the price son. Any number with 4 zeros is not going to be what he wants to hear. Having a 2 or a 3 as the first digit will be the end of it.

31 minutes ago, JayJay777 said:

id prefer not to but i can, it would just be gradual over time.

yeah ill be doing all the mechanical work myself and i know a few auto electricians and tuners who can help me, definitely not for free but it wont cost an insane amount

If we consider these as factors, your car is currently stock, you buy a quality inlet and quality high mount exhaust manifold, you pay for tuning and wiring, I don't think you will pull this build off for less then 20k. 

If you go low mount, keep the stock inlet and exhaust manifolds, yeah it could be done for sub 20k.

Things get a lot more affordable if you learn to wire up the car and learn to tune. Neither are hard things to do, just takes a bit of time to learn. If you were doing all of the work, wiring and tuning you might be able to pull off the high mount setup for 20k. 

ill definitely have to go through the list and add any missing pieces onto my own list. however i have what is probably a dumb question.. whats a boost solenoid? whenever i search it up it mainly comes up with a boost controller.

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/3-port-mac-valve-boost-control-solenoid

nah not just wanting to chop mates, im also making it into sort of a show car. so whats the biggest part of the cost, cause if you scroll up youll see the list ive made and it comes to just under 6k, obviously its missing a lot but im just curious

A show car or "bunnings" car park meet car.

A proper show car is around 150K-300K these days

I can tell you right now its not going to be 6K, closer to 20K...........     Had to adjust plenty of customers ideas what it really costs.

ECU $3k plus Sensors will be over $600, wire, connectors, sheathing, relays PLUS TUNE easy $7k
Genuine turbo and gaskets $4k

Even at my pricing fuel system would be over $1600

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JayJay777 said:

it is a boost controller, however its controlled by the ecu. much better than a standalone unit

38 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

If we consider these as factors, your car is currently stock, you buy a quality inlet and quality high mount exhaust manifold, you pay for tuning and wiring, I don't think you will pull this build off for less then 20k. 

If you go low mount, keep the stock inlet and exhaust manifolds, yeah it could be done for sub 20k.

Things get a lot more affordable if you learn to wire up the car and learn to tune. Neither are hard things to do, just takes a bit of time to learn. If you were doing all of the work, wiring and tuning you might be able to pull off the high mount setup for 20k. 

i think at this point im willing to forgo the top mount turbo and keep all the stuff it has on that side tbh. id be more than willing to learn all these things if theyre not too tough.

i know its not much currently, but its got arp head studs, the oil restrictors on the head have been done.

39 minutes ago, R3N3 said:

it is a boost controller, however its controlled by the ecu. much better than a standalone unit

ah okay, seems to be much cheaper too haha

42 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

A show car or "bunnings" car park meet car.

A proper show car is around 150K-300K these days

I can tell you right now its not going to be 6K, closer to 20K...........     Had to adjust plenty of customers ideas what it really costs.

ECU $3k plus Sensors will be over $600, wire, connectors, sheathing, relays PLUS TUNE easy $7k
Genuine turbo and gaskets $4k

Even at my pricing fuel system would be over $1600

more or less something nice i can enter into black label and stuff, i plan on making it unique on the exterior and have some cool touches on the interior which will make it stand out a bit more.

front mount intercooler (aeroflow)

link ecu (G4x Xtremex)

gated manifold and screamer pipe (hypergear)

boost solenoid (efi)

high flow mod for my current turbo (hypergear)

front facing plenum

and all that comes to around 6k, not even close to everything ill need but its the big chunks of it (or so ive been told) 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JayJay777 said:

more or less something nice i can enter into black label and stuff, i plan on making it unique on the exterior and have some cool touches on the interior which will make it stand out a bit more.

front mount intercooler (aeroflow)

link ecu (G4x Xtremex)

gated manifold and screamer pipe (hypergear)

boost solenoid (efi)

high flow mod for my current turbo (hypergear)

front facing plenum

and all that comes to around 6k, not even close to everything ill need but its the big chunks of it (or so ive been told) 

Link Engine Management G4X Xtremex - $2,634.50

Hypergear high flow (tick options for big boy power, ball bearing CHRA, high pressure actuator) $2,070

Just those 2 parts are $4,704.50. How are you getting everything else on that list for $1,295.50?

1 minute ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Link Engine Management G4X Xtremex - $2,634.50

Hypergear high flow (tick options for big boy power, ball bearing CHRA, high pressure actuator) $2,070

Just those 2 parts are $4,704.50. How are you getting everything else on that list for $1,295.50?

front mount intercooler (aeroflow) $325

link ecu (G4x Xtremex) $2635

gated manifold and screamer pipe (hypergear) $850

boost solenoid (efi) $88

high flow mod for my current turbo (hypergear) $950

front facing plenum $500

and all that comes to $5,348, i save a lot of money on the turbo as im not buying a new one, just getting my current one modded

1 minute ago, JayJay777 said:

front mount intercooler (aeroflow) $325

link ecu (G4x Xtremex) $2635

gated manifold and screamer pipe (hypergear) $850

boost solenoid (efi) $88

high flow mod for my current turbo (hypergear) $950

front facing plenum $500

and all that comes to $5,348, i save a lot of money on the turbo as im not buying a new one, just getting my current one modded

That price I listed was for a high flow turbo, have a closer look at the hypergear website. Sure a basic highflow starts at $950, but that means you don't want a ball bearing CHRA, you don't want to run high boost, you don't want the most powerful option. 

In any case, as long as mentally you have accepted that this journey is likely going to run you 20k, then it's fine for you to delude yourself that you can do it all for 6k. The reality is you'll just end up with a car that doesn't run due to missing XYZ parts and you can either set it back to stock or keep spending to finish it off. 

On a side note, I'm a little scared to ask but I am curious, what is the nasty china intake manifold can be had for $500? 

5 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

That price I listed was for a high flow turbo, have a closer look at the hypergear website. Sure a basic highflow starts at $950, but that means you don't want a ball bearing CHRA, you don't want to run high boost, you don't want the most powerful option. 

In any case, as long as mentally you have accepted that this journey is likely going to run you 20k, then it's fine for you to delude yourself that you can do it all for 6k. The reality is you'll just end up with a car that doesn't run due to missing XYZ parts and you can either set it back to stock or keep spending to finish it off. 

On a side note, I'm a little scared to ask but I am curious, what is the nasty china intake manifold can be had for $500? 

i dont think i can do it for 6k at all, ive said that. i just stated that what ive currently got on my list is 6k, i even said on the same post that i know that is nowhere near what i need. even with the extra bearing its still under 6k. again, not thinking im gonna do this for that price, just saying my list is all. 

stated previously as well the intake manifold is second hand.

Do you already have a good full exhaust system?

will you need new coil packs?

cam gears?

also think about a new clutch to hold the extra power.

what injectors and fuel pump are you going to use? 
what fuel will you be running?

upgraded bov? and waste gate if going externally gated. Extra fab work and lines for said gate

thats just a couple things to take into consideration.

• Like 2