SAU Community

Whistling sound front of car and twitching on the back?

Hey all, on my Subaru I noticed I have a whistling sound when from 60km an hour onwards, below that I don't hear it. I used to hear it from 80km onwards but now it's 60km. It does seem to get louder then plateau's, I thought maybe it's the wheel bearings but I got them replaced about 70,000km ago, unless the mechanic put cheap ones on. What would you guys lean towards it being? Also when going over small bumps and especially when I'm turning the wheel on bumps I can hear like a twitching sound I think from the rear passenger side, maybe the strut? 

I know the rear of the car itself has been squeaky probably since I bought it (separate issue), but I've never fixed it as I generally don't have people sitting in the back and it's not overly noticeable unless I go over bumps with people in the back or if I'm driving myself but turn into a carpark ramp to go up the parking.

On 11/07/2023 at 10:35 PM, GTSBoy said:

You seriously want us to attempt to diagnose odd sounds over the internet?

To be fair something like every second engine issue thread starts with a recording of odd noises happening in the engine bay, no? In that sense I'd say having a recording would be good for a start.

44 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

To be fair something like every second engine issue thread starts with a recording of odd noises happening in the engine bay, no? In that sense I'd say having a recording would be good for a start.

Yeah, but when it's happening at 60+ km/h, good luck trying to get a recording that we can hear anything over the wind roar.

On 11/07/2023 at 9:34 PM, silviaz said:

I thought maybe it's the wheel bearings but I got them replaced about 70,000km ago,

Could still be wheel bearings. Or a diff? Dunno if that's a whistle, probably more a whir.

Sounds like the rear is unrelated? Hard to diagnose anything with the amount of info though. YOu could get under the back and just check everything is tight ?

5 hours ago, PranK said:

Could still be wheel bearings. Or a diff? Dunno if that's a whistle, probably more a whir.

Sounds like the rear is unrelated? Hard to diagnose anything with the amount of info though. YOu could get under the back and just check everything is tight ?

Bearings got replaced (could have been cheap ones, though I am leaning towards it), will get it checked out one of these days. Doubt it's the diff, can't hear it on passenger side only driver side.