SAU Community

Team Wang Phillip Island Report and Pics.

Snowman

Team Wang have just successfully completed another Track Day weekend this time down at Phillip Island.

The weekend was attended by

Snowman - R34 GTR - Sat, Sun

Adzmaz - R34 GTT - Sat, Sun

Roy - R32 GTST - Sat, Sun (kinda - lol)

Skylinegeoff - R33 GTST - Sat, Sun

Scotsman - R33 GTR - Sat, Sun

Ferni - R33 GTR - Sat

Emre - R33 GTR - Sun

Plus some of the support crew including bp and DentonR33. As well as the newbie -Irish- whom is a regular at Exclusive but a deep down skyline lover.

Most of us headed down Friday night night to a great little house we rented for the weekend. Nice and cosy - a great little find by Roy. Pretty quite Friday night on Team Wang standards however.

Saturday was a beautiful day. Nice and sunny and that suited us just fine. The track is under going a few changes and there was a delay to the start but we still got plenty of track time in. No "offical" times were available for the Sat as it's meant to be practise - but we had a few stop watch times to give us an idea on how things were going.

No none of us had ever been down to this track before - and some guys like Adzmax had never even been on a track before. To say this track is fast and at time scary is an understatement! lol.

Throught the day we found our times dropping and our speeds increasing. I managed to get from 2.05's to arounf 1.54's by the end of the day.

Max speeds for me down the straight were about 260km/hr with a VERY scary turn 1 carrying speeds around 210km/hr through it. :wassup: turns 3 and 7 were up around the +200km/hr mark but nothing like turn 1 as far as brown undies go.

Late in the afternoon we got a quick downpour and that made for an intersting experience but everyone came through it without too many problems (execpt poor Roy whose car just didn't want to play for most of the weekend).

Sat night we went back to the house and had a big feed of bbq T-bone steaks with mushies and onions and farken shit loads of piss! :)

The Aussies lost the rugby - but really who gives a toss!

Sunday was compeition day and we were greated by rain. This was a nice introduction to Phillip Island for Emre that didn't get to see the track on Saturday. However, after the first session the track started to dry out. Roy's car continued to play up - but because he's possibly the biggest champ every to come out of Sydney he was kind enough to lend his sticky rubber to both geoff and Adz who were running normal street tyres.

Everyone did really well. The skylines pretty much were at the top of the time sheets - with everyone cracking the 2 min barrier except for Emre - but he was the only guy not getting a shot with sticky rubber. But even then he got DAMN close. (like 2.00.4 or something! :) ) My quickest time for the Sunday was a 1.51.42 which I'm very happy with and was the fastest time for all cars except for a couple of the raceclass cars (open wheelers and full race cars on slicks)

So all in all another great weekend. No huge incendents and the only real sad parts was Roys C4's needing car and my stupidity for drinking petrol and wanting to throw up all day (spent 3 hrs dry reaching once I back home to Melb guys! :throwup: )

Now its time to look through the events calanders and find our next track day outting.

:(

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snowman is quite a wordsmith :)

Im so proud...apparantly i didnt dribble quite as much as last time when having a drink. Though a brief recap last night revealed my last hours were greyer then i seemed to recall:alcoholic

A big :) to BP, Denton and Scotsman's loyal fanbase that made the effort and helped make a GREAT social weekend away. :( Any day at the track is good fun, even if you had a few probs like me as you know it all works towards your next visit...baby steps!

I would die for some footage/pics or the weekend, im so keen to hear what my car sounds like going down the straight...my moto if you cant be quick at least try and sound it :Oops:

oh and PM me you lap times and ill update the circuit times thread :D

Yeah others had some pics and there were a few vid camera's floating around. So hopefully some pics and even a quick vid will appear from someone.

The vids were of the main straight which normally looks quite tame - but at Phillip Island its different as everyone seems to be FLYING past!

Well done to all the guys for the quick lap times - everyone did real well.

So, thanks again guys for another great weekend away - I had an awesome time and look forward to the next drinking session.

:)

I know this one just finished but I thought I'd quickly look at what else is around to plan out the rest of the year. Personally I'd like to have one go at Sandown, Calder and Phillip Island again before the end of the year.

These are some of the options I know of.

Sandown.

19/9 - Alfa Car Club

3/10 - Alfa Car Club

16/10 - Jag Car Club

24/10 - Maserati Car Clab

30/10 - HSV Car Club

Calder

19/9 - Ford Four Car Club

31/10 - WRX Car Club

Phillip Island

19/9 - HSV Car Club

13-14/11 - PIARC Weekend

12/12 - Alfa Car Club.

I know I really enjoyed the PIARC weekend. We got more track time than I could handle (missed session at the end cause I was buggered), the event was nicely organised, and the whole "weekend away" makes it a full event. So I reckon I'll be keen for that again.

There are a heap of options at Sandown but usually you'll have to decide early and get in before they are full. The Maserati Day is probably the ultimate as far as quality of cars - it the difference between being the guy that overtakes everyone and being the guy thats getting over taken! LOL. Only real issue is its more expensive than other club days. (About $150-$175)

Alfa club at Sandown on 19/9 then rex club at calder on 31/10 could be a goer. Decisions have to be made soon however as entries for Alfa club close on 9/9 with cheap entries closing on 3/9. ($120 or $140). However, Alfa club requires you to do flagging which can be overated.

We do always have the "open practice" days at Calder every Wed as an option too.

I need another go at Phillip Island ASAP...and id prefer Winton again before Calder...but i dont really care.

But my thinkng....

Phillip Island

19/9 - HSV Car Club

13-14/11 - PIARC Weekend

&

Sandown.

3/10 - Alfa Car Club - for practice for the Maserati day :)  

24/10 - Maserati Car Clab

But like i said im a member of the flock, ill go where ever the shepherd thinks best!

I had written a longer post but the forum swallowed it, so here is a summary.

Alot of facts were established on the weekend.

A minor one being that Andrew's car is a piece of shite. It leaks fuel and power steering fluid. It's low on clutch fluid and have a cracked left hand headlight mount. Do i need to go on :)

Jokes aside, here is the main point :

If you want to get some track action, these are the guys to do it with.

Don't get hung up on power figures and list of modifications, as it doesn't mean a thing for a beginner. If anything, first up, you are better of in a stock car with the mandatory mods like oil cooler and decent rubber.

Best example of this is me vs Andrew, Chris, Geoff and Adam. Heck, I should've just said me vs everyone else.

haha - Emre your a funny bastard. STOP PICKING ON MY CAR!

Yeah I know it leaks fuel and it isnt the best example of an R34 going around - but it does the job most of the time and it didn't break this time so it's all good.

And you did well Emre. Big ones needed to go to a place like Phillip Island with a car packed with 2530's but normal rubber with basically no track experience. You'll be passing us in no time.

And Troy - get your car fixed. We can't go making any plans for future track days until your car is running. Your always one of the main orgainisers and you still haven't had a proper day out yet!

Well were do I start....

First I want to thank Troy, your a legend and an all round good guy. Thanks to your generosity I had an absolute blast on Sunday and managed to put down some resonable times! Also a big thanks for organising the accommodation too, was a great locationplace and by far the best place I've stayed at on an event!

Phillip Island! Wow what a track, very fast and very wide. Surface was brilliant apart from the little bit of rain on Sunday moring but once it dried managed to hit 210km down the straight and pulled 180km round turn one. For any of you who havn't seen the Phillip Islan track 180 is quick enough to leave brown stipes in you undies in a RWD :( Best time was 1:58:04 which was pretty good I guess and with my coil overs in and a better suspension setup for the next meet it can only improve.

Oh was fun it was to eat up all those V8's and race preped cars on the track! Nothing like the feeling of coming out of a corner in high 4th gear at 170km+ and over taking another car like it's standing still :P Pure gold.

Next Phillip Island meer would have to be the HSV day, as if there is any question, "HSV, I just ate one" ;)

Thanks to Andrew, Geoff, Chris, Emre, Bec, Troy and and the rest of the Wang cheer squad for Sat night fun and overall an awsome weekend.

Oh and for all you track virgin's, there is no question "Is semi, is good"

A couple of great track pics I got sent.

Hard under brakes coming into turn 4 (hardest braking point on the track) You can see Honda corner in the background..... and Bass Straight.

snowman.jpg

Coming down over the top of Lukie Heights. The way your car "floats" as you come over the top of the hill is awesome. This is the easiest place to out brake yourself however!

snowman2.jpg

Can't say I enjoyed a weekend more. My personal best was 1:58.5 on Roys Dunlop D01J's and officially 2:03 (hand timed 2:02.5) on road rubber so the difference is clear in outright track times. My times were consistent within a second and I struggeld with tail wag due to still having stock shocks.

Clear insights were gained on just how good the gtr setup is out of the box (Scotsman, but on semi comp) and with minor mods (Snowie also on semi comp but with minor mods) and how much better a handler the R34GTT (Adz) is over the R33 GTS25t (wallowing tail wagging red barge). I could not hope to do 180 through turn 1 like adz but was happier on the rest of the track and had moe power for straight line so the benefits of the newer model are clear.

There are some other photos by my mate Rowie (White MR2 with black bonnet) at www.rwdturbo.com

My oil (castrol Formula R 10W60) performed faultlessly and still looks like new and smells new so I recommend it for a fresh engine.

Adz and I did a drag down the straight passing each side of the 2 luckiest ducks on PI at about 180kmh :P and I took a big brave pill in the wet to pull off a 1:09 with 150 into turn 1 on the high line around a dedicated race car. As Adz said, there is nothing like blowing past V8's or finishing with faster times than a new Falcon GT :( (what DO they cost?)

Once again thanks to the support squad and drinking buddies and here's to the next one :clink:

Roy - in regards to getting back down to the Island - that weekend for the HSV Club (19/9) - there is also on the Saturday a MSCA track day (18/9) - so we could make another weekend of it.

I'm already owed a track day with the MSCA from earlier in the year when I paid and had to pull out due to that stupid getrag gearbox (which I must say feels damn sweet at the moment!). So I could be keen for that weekend.

Awesome track day, I liked the track a lot more than Winton. Higher speeds, faster corners and just a better track all around.

Congratz to Snowman and Scottsman for coming 1st and 2nd respectively in their classes - goes to show what a relatively stock GTR is capable of. Even against the brand new stripped out roll cage equipped WRX STI.

I started off with around 2:05s (I have no stickies, but I do have suspension), then went out with an Instructor who gave me a few tips and then gave him a drive of my car, he managed to get 1.57s consistently... I went back out after the tips from him and ran some 2:00 flat and 1.59's, it started to rain just after that so didn't get a chance to find the 1.57 like my car is capable of - I guess I need to learn how to drive now hey? :P

Was hitting about 240 down the straight and about 180 into turn 1, great fun, would love to see what it felt like on stickies at 210 :(

My oil cooler didn't work as well as expected, after speaking to Emre and looking at his car I defiantly need to get some more airflow around it, like he has.

umm that's about all, I really do need another set of wheels and some track tyres so maybe I can get that 3rd position behind Andrew and Chris, would look even better having 1st 2nd and 3rd filled by 'GTR' ;)