SAU Community

your car coming into Oz..

lwells

lwells - stay on Geoff's back for the B/L - I must have emailed him 5 times in a week trying to get mine and finally got it yesterday, 5 days after the boat docked.

Actually, I would rather not. As I said, I have found Geoff very helpful up till now so I see no reason to harass him about the B/L unless I don't hear from him within a reasonable time frame.

Basically I'll just wait and see what happens. The supplier for my car is Japan Auto Direct (the car was bought at auction, however) -- who I have dealt with directly for various reasons -- and they seem like reasonable people who provided the dereg papers quickly so there is no reason to suspect that won't be the case now.

LW.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My import experience with Geoff was excellent also. He was very helpful along the way, sent me pictures of the car being degassed, got all the information to me promptly etc. Some people need to appreciate that he is an extremely busy guy. Obviously this doesnt excuse some things but he does his absolute best to keep every customer happy and his reputation is a testament to that.

As lwells said, when you are relying on others as Geoff is, such as suppliers etc then there will always be factors out of his control that he will do his absolute best to sort out in the shortest possible timeframe.

Importing a car is one of the most frustrating things you can do. Paperwork, weeks/months of waiting, more paperwork, phone calls and more paperwork. For this reason its easy to understand how some people get slightly pissed off when things dont go as planned.

So you think I'm being too hard ??....maybe....but I still think it was something simple that should have been simple to take care of.  Anyway I've vented now, just more waiting....

No, I think you are entitled to your opinion.

In regards to the customs agent, I don't think that's a big issue.

As for the dereg papers, I was almost caught out by that one myself and only found out because I contacted Geoff about a week before I sent the papers off to remind him my car was becoming eligable. An email would have been a good idea to let existing customers know, but perhaps there weren't that many people affected so it hadn't been a major issue.

Finally, as to the B/L I honestly don't think Geoff is likely to have been responsible for this. Sure, you can argue he should follow up with the supplier but you don't know how many calls he may/may not have made. Moreover, it looks like you were not the only one affected so I am guessing some particular supplier had a problem supplying a whole bunch of B/Ls so Geoff was probably contacting them saying "where are the bunch of B/Ls" rather than ringing about each and every B/L.

Its all conjecture and I agree that more detail and communication from Geoff would have been nice, but he probably has tens if not hundreds of customers in the same situation so even taking a couple of minutes to contact each one individually would take an inordinate amount of time.

LW.

also gotta say when you car does actually get here and its complied and the engineer goes over it to make sure its all good make sure the certificate has all the right details, i got rooted the car has 85k the certificate said 96k!!!

my car is here!!! but its alittle broken :P hopefully not to long to go now (waiting since feb)

For all you guys concerned about B/L - when I brought in my brother's 32 a few months ago I did the paperwork myself. One of those documents I was trouble having to get from Geoff was the B/L.

When my car arrived in the country I received an arrival notice from shipping line. This was sufficient to prove to the shipping line it was my car (along with ID and my initial purchase invoice), and after I paid them for the shipping they gave me the delivery order which was sufficient for customs, quarantine, the docks - if you have that it's essentially fulfils the need of the B/L.

Just one thing though - the docks may not let you have the car unless the delivery order has a 'D Stamp' on it..which you get from the shipping line when you show them the customs release forms..the D Stamp isn't a requirement 100% of the time, as the guy at the wharves told me..

u guys that have had ur cars shipped over and have picked them up, i was just wondering if u had anything stolen, like gauges gearknobs and such?

i heard one dude had his drivers seat taken, if its like this at all then i'll be picking it up asap

When my car arrived in the country I received an arrival notice from shipping line. This was sufficient to prove to the shipping line it was my car (along with ID and my initial purchase invoice), and after I paid them for the shipping they gave me the delivery order which was sufficient for customs, quarantine, the docks - if you have that it's essentially fulfils the need of the B/L.

This is not the norm, I did a lot of chasing with the shipping company and my customs agent all with the same result - unless I had the original B/L or proof of its surrender absolutely nothing was going to get my car moving from the dock. I even got a hold of a copy of the B/L and that got me nowhere. I don't recommend anyone rely just on the Arrival Notice...but congrats on your success :cheers:

u guys that have had ur cars shipped over and have picked them up, i was just wondering if u had anything stolen, like gauges gearknobs and such?  

i heard one dude had his drivers seat taken, if its like this at all then i'll be picking it up asap

I don't really need (or want) to hear things like this....it's one of the major reasons I'm not happy about the delay that's occurred.

Well I just recieved a copy of my B/L via email from Geoff: six hour turn around isn't bad :P (B/L shows a date of 04/10, so its three days really)

LW.

As steve said it seems that an email copy may not be much good to you if they require an original. Hopefully it wont be too far behind.

Regarding the de-reg, Geoff emailed mine to me within a few days of buying the car. No worries. I even got them translated, lots of interesting stuff there :cheers:

Richard

Well I just recieved a copy of my B/L via email from Geoff: six hour turn around isn't bad :cheers: (B/L shows a date of 04/10, so its three days really)

If it's stamped 'Surrendered' and the date then that's what you need. Your CA should also get a copy.

I have other thoughts on this but I'll say no more.

No worries. I even got them translated, lots of interesting stuff there :cheers:

Care to elaborate ??...I was wondering whether it might have info on things like accident history, etc.

Also is the engine number shown anywhere ??, mine had a couple of numbers that looked like it, but no way to be sure.

mmmgtir: I know. My point was only that I asked today about the B/L and Geoff managed to get me an emailed copy within six hours. Hopefully Japan Auto Direct will be on the ball and get the original to CGL soon.

SteveL: no stamping that I can see. The original is being sent directly to the custom agent by Japan Auto Direct.

Out of interest, who is the supplier for the people(s) that have had problems getting their B/L?

Cheers,

Lucien.

This thread puts the spook into me a bit..

bought a GT-R on monday... i'm at the beginning of this whole fiasco..

Do we have a list somewhere of ALL documents and the ORDER in which they are required as a reference?

Thanks,

-Patrick

Care to elaborate ??...I was wondering whether it might have info on things like accident history, etc.

Also is the engine number shown anywhere ??, mine had a couple of numbers that looked like it, but no way to be sure.

It tells you the cars rego number, when the car was de-registered, all the dimensions of the car and the weight, the front/rear weight distribution, the owners name :), the owners address, when the rego was due to expire, where the car was registered, and lists mods too :) :)

Didn't get engine number.

Richard

This may be a stupid question.

But I had my dereg emailed to me by my company and it is half a page(almost) little japanese writing with copy stamped across it. doesn't look right to me.

is everyones like this?

when should you recieve this B/L? my car arrives in november sometime

If your agent tell you that it's the de-reg, it should be. If you want post it up and I'll tell you what I think (by comparing to mine which is translated). The B/L should arrive sometime after your car is put on the boat, but before it arrives here...

Richard

Out of interest, who is the supplier for the people(s) that have had problems getting their B/L?

I know of one who is having trouble with getting B/L and they are with JAD. no names :)

Richard