SAU Community

What insurance do you have?

Duncan

345 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news Duncan :D

Well i was gonig to take the risk and just get Third

party - my parents tho insisted i get Fully Comp .... but i just couldnt afford what some of insurance companies were asking .... a friend gave me a number of this broker who got me Fully Comp for $1.3K which isnt too bad. Was lucky i did eventually listen to my folks tho because 2 months later i ran up the back of a lady :D

full comp for me...

My parents bmw was rear ended while they were in nsw by some young country bumpkin in an old holden ute a couple of months ago, the final bill from the repairers was around $6,500 and the guy wasnt insured at all, that will teach him!

yeah the z was remodelled, a bloke turned right into the passenger door. odd and expensive choice.

It just struck me that I hear on here a fair bit "I can't afford insurance". If you don't think it could never happen you could not be more wrong.

On the poll no-one has said No insurance yet....where are you all?

when i had my ford falcon i had no insurance whatsoever. kept saying she'll be right until that fateful day. coming up to a green arrow the lights changed. the guy in front of me floored it and so did i. he changed his mind at the last minute and i went straight into the back of him.

i had to get a $5 grand loan to pay for the damage to my car as well as insure and register it. also had to pay so much per month for ten months to the other guys insurance company.

live and learn. skyline full comp. no exceptions

sorry to hear about the Zed Duncan :/

can the L-plater afford the bill? the last thing you want is to be paid back $10 a week for the next million years!

fully comp for me...always. I have always had a personal loan for my cars and when i got my first one my parents said "do you really want to be paying back this loan for the next XX years with no car to show for it"

suncorp pay-by-the-month is a godsend...I hardly notice the payments...

when i had my ford falcon i had no insurance whatsoever. kept saying she'll be right until that fateful day. coming up to a green arrow the lights changed. the guy in front of me floored it and so did i. he changed his mind at the last minute and i went straight into the back of him.

i had to get a $5 grand loan to pay for the damage to my car as well as insure and register it. also had to pay so much per month for ten months to the other guys insurance company.

live and learn. skyline full comp. no exceptions

i learnt the hard way as well

it was wet and yes i was driving like a dickhead ill admit to that

got sideways lost it and hit a 4WD destroyed the drivers side quater on my car didnt do any damage the the 4WD cause i hit the corner of his bullbar.

1 year and over 10K later the car is finally comming back together but on the other hand if i didnt smash it i wouldnt have gone ahead with my original plans for the car so it taught me a lesson and it gave me a reason to start the project.

im probably gonna buy another skyline(or similar) in 3 weeks, not sure if i should get full comp.

it will be vey expensive for me (around 4 grand)....

i have only been driving for 3-4 years now, a bit more than 1 year in my skyline and i have not had any accidents so far, so i figure if i had been paying 3.5 grand a year for 3 years it would be equivalent to having an accident that cost more than 10 grand.

its seems even less worth it since i only drive 2 or 3 three days a week(not many kms at all) most of the time. and otherwise long trips in the middle of no where.

i probably wont get full comp, only third party and a tracking alarm like i had before.

I used to have 3rd party property when I had the datto and the corolla, but once I had something I could afford to lose, I went to full comp.

To be honest, its sounds harsh....but its not my problem. My insurance company will pay for the repairs then hunt this bloke down. I have no doubt that they will not be shy about recovering their money, but I won't be out of pocket. I just need the car perfectly repaired, its on lease and resale is an important consideration.

Personally I feel very sorry for the bloke, but that doesn't change what has happened

Hmmm - only time I ever listened to my dad was when he told me if you can't afford insurance, you can't afford the car.

And on a not so nice note, I heard on the news tonight that the truck driver involved in that horrible accident on the F3 was uninsured......

But how about if you can afford the insurance, but figure it is not worthwhile?

ie. paying 20% of a car's value (and even more if you make a claim) each year when in the past you have not had any problems?

i know that things are not always predictable and there is always a risk of having an accident(no one can pay attention and behave 100% of the time!) or some uninsured person hitting you..

but when the whole car is worth only 20 grand, im not sure if it is worth paying ~4grand per year.

if a car was worth say 40 grand i would be happier to pay 4-5 thousand, but not sure about paying 4 grand for a 20 grand car...

Okay- a correction - if you can't afford third party property insurance as a minimum- you shouldn't be taking your car onto the road.

The value of your car shouldn't be the only consideration- it's the damage you can potentially do other cars which makes basic insurance a neccessity.

Afterall, it's called an "accident" for a reason....