SAU Community

The Wasteland - ACT Style

krzysiu

Just had my engagement party down the coast and the weather was amazing the whole weekend. Such a nice place at Ulladulla

Congrats on your engagement! The weather's been too hot for me... considered the beach today, yeah.. nah :D Stuck with the aircon haha. I might take Eva for a quick dip in one of the inlets tomorrow when the long weekend crowds have gone.

Agreed. i have plenty of friends that rent $2M apartments in Sydney but have properties in everywhere from Townsville, Darwin, Dubbo, Goulburn and the like. Diverse portfolios but also houses of all different price categories. Its not a hard game, just need to play it smart.

Nice friends to have! I hope at least one of them has good views of the NYE fireworks ;)

Agreed. i have plenty of friends that rent $2M apartments in Sydney but have properties in everywhere from Townsville, Darwin, Dubbo, Goulburn and the like. Diverse portfolios but also houses of all different price categories. Its not a hard game, just need to play it smart.

Fairly sure we'd be doing something like this if we ever moved to Syd!

We always had the problem with renting in Sydney with a dog. Some places are ok - Breakfast Point is an apartment area that many allow dogs - but it's rare. Even townhouses don't allow them in many cases. We had to get a house :(

This is what sucks about renting - other people's rules and conditions.

The animal thing is a hard call. We say no to them in our town house and i know that is annoying for some but we've seen the damage that our own animals did to the place (cat climbing up curtains, ripping up carpet etc).

I know there's a bond etc but it's a f**king pain in the ass to get anything back from tenants and we've been burned by tenants before too.

Sometimes it's not even up to you as the owner.... unit and townhouse complexes may have their strata rules. I thought about that Manuel but I have a f**king yapper and I knew I couldn't get away with keeping her secret if some nosy neighbour knew the owners or something.

I accepted animals in one property and just put a pet tax onto it. increased the bond and the rent, full dilapidation report that they signed and anything damaged they fix. worked well enough but in saying that it only works with honest tenants.

Our townhouse is single title.

I might change my mind down the track but while there are curtains and carpet in there still (from when we lived there) no animals.

If I had vertical blinds and tiles then maybe it'd be a different story.

Finishes make a world of difference. I really want to put bamboo floors in our current apartment as they're almost unbreakable. Problem is there's claim on tax doing it "in preparation" for tenants grrr

Finishes make a world of difference. I really want to put bamboo floors in our current apartment as they're almost unbreakable. Problem is there's claim on tax doing it "in preparation" for tenants grrr

I was going to put bamboo down in my rental until I saw the cost.... I decided on new carpet instead! I actually miss carpet haha! Annoying to pay for new plush stuff for tenants too :P

But you get it back from the tax man though... We are considering doing the flooring in our investment property too, but me thinks its better to wait till May/June so your not out of pocket for too long.

Sometimes it's not even up to you as the owner.... unit and townhouse complexes may have their strata rules. I thought about that Manuel but I have a f**king yapper and I knew I couldn't get away with keeping her secret if some nosy neighbour knew the owners or something.

it isn't legal for strata rules to say no to pets in the ACT anymore.

it isn't legal for strata rules to say no to pets in the ACT anymore.

still require body corporate approval which can't be unreasonably withheld. They need to decide on it at the AGM unless you call for a separate one off proxy which you will need to pay for. Went through this recently for my apartment in Kingston.

still require body corporate approval which can't be unreasonably withheld. They need to decide on it at the AGM unless you call for a separate one off proxy which you will need to pay for. Went through this recently for my apartment in Kingston.

I was like 90% sure last year they changed it so body corporate couldn't deny animals in an owned property.... Hmm.....

But you get it back from the tax man though... We are considering doing the flooring in our investment property too, but me thinks its better to wait till May/June so your not out of pocket for too long.

I did it just before the tenants moved it, so I can't :(