SAU Community

Newbie R33 BOV Question

adam1982

Hey guys,

Please excuse the newbie question for which im about to ask,

I've just bought a 97 S2 R33 which is at the moment completly stock

& im looking to put a BOV on it. After searching the forums I couldnt find the info i needed.

So the info im looking for is, are there different types of BOV? apart from the noise that they make.

Do i need any kind of adapters or anything to fit a aftermarket bov to my stock r33?

Can i fit it myself?

What i am after is just a bit more of a noticable noise when i change gears. I dont want people 50meters away to shit themselfes and hit the deck and im hoping not to have to do major modifications just to fit it as im saving for the exhaust and extractors.

Any help would be appreciated and once again please forgive the stupidness of this question.

WEll you got the Plumb back blow off valves which work like the stock one, do not make the loud Psshh noise but can run a higher Psi. The are the external BOV's which are the ones you are after. Most blow off valves have adapters to fit the stock R33 Position, all you have to do is block up the Plumb back pipe. Although i dont know if you really would like to get one, the coppas will belt you for it. Also i used to have a HKS SSQV BOV on my car (Also a R33 Series 2) and it stalled the hell out of it. SO if you are going to get a Atmosphere BOV make sure you put it on to see if it doesnt stall before you buy it. Oh and fitting it yourself is very easy.

Cheers :D

If you want something that is going to make noise your going to making the car illegal and subject to getting a defect. The cops love the noise of a BOV as it gives them reason to pull you over. When buying one just make sure it is made for a R33 or has the adapter plate you need and yes they are easy to install.

I have a monza (HKS copy) that is very loud and makes that great flutter noise but replacing it on monday for the GFB stealth. You can dial it to no noise or loud depending on what you want and when set to plumb back it's legal!!. Remember it's not the noise that makes them illegal it's the fact they vent engine gasses that havn't been through your cat.

What you need is a Go Fast Bits Hybrid valve. You can adjust how loud they are. I fitted mine to my car in about 20 mins. Get one from Atuospeed.com or Modyourcar.com.au. I can't remember how much about $300 I think. Worth every cent.

if all your looking for is to get a sound when changing gears or when taking your foot off the accelerator there is no need to replace the factory bov (unless its leaking). All you need to do is get a pod filter as when you take you foot off the pedal all the air goes out the pod and you get a pssssh sound.

Niss_Fan with your monza bov does it flutter under low rpms and make its other sound at high rpms? Also, cant you just take off the round trumpet thing on that bov and screw on the longer pipe piece so as to to plump it back (as is my knowledge of this valve)

hey guys, my little spill here prolly doesnt effect anyone here but

i did fit a monza type 3 blow off valve onto my gtst r33

i have an auto and to tell ya i had it on hard and soft settings

and didnt make a sound

only thing it did do was affect my idle speed

only time it did was when i changed from 1st to 2nd at about 6g

i recently put the stock one back on, and not worryin bout blow off valves

till i do some more upgrades and runnin a fair bit of psi

with fitting of extractors, i would say save ya money

manufacturers arent stupid, they would of tested and dun whateva they had to do

to have the best flow for the engine

maybe if ya were running over a certain amount of kw's , it mite affect it a lil

i have basically a stock r33 gts

have a 4 1/2 inch exhaust

fittin a 3 inch dumper with seperated wastegate

and buyin a intercooler kit and fittin myself

anyway thas my lil say

and my opinion

I think you will find any atmo-venting bov will make the sound that you are after. The installation is easy as long as you get one that is already suited to fit the stock r33 bov adapter. It shouldn't take you more then 5 minutes. The problem with the atmo-venting bov's is that you might run into the idling problem that so many others have, but if you have some sort of aftermarket management or even a simple piggyback ecu then you can get your tuner to fix up the idling problem. I think GFB have made a BOV that half vents to atmo and half plumb-backs so it gets rid of the idling problem, but i have no idea how they sound like.

Remember it's not the noise that makes them illegal it's the fact they vent engine gasses that havn't been through your cat.

:confused:

What do you mean through the cat? BOV is on the intake side of the engine, not exhaust... are you thinking wastegate?

You can be booked for a loud BOV. They are illegal to vent to atmo but nothing to do with the cat for christ's sake. The Pod filter idea is a cheap way to make the standard plumback unit a little more audible. I would do this first as it is fairly cheap to do and you might be surprised at the increased level of noise. If you still want it louder after that, then go for a Turbosmart V port or something like that, don't get anything with a trumpet on it. And don't get a crap monza one. They are gay. And for all you people with automatics...what is the use of even putting a atmo-venting BOV on your car, they only operate when you close throttle and seeing as though your foot is always down, it kinda seems pointless. Go manual all the way. Cheers.

yo superspit.... i got 1... series II cd/radio/tape double dim... like new... jst imported ma beast... and the deck  gota go. its got oz tuner aswell. whats ur price????

also apexi bov. second hand with gtst adaptor for 32 33 34 gts...

Hey FaztR33,

could u PM me, i'm really looking for a local seller, but, .....if the price is right.....?

thanx mate!! :thankyou:

adam if you wanna see how the load the stock bov is try this. It's pretty loud. open your bonnet. open the airbox 4 clips, and remove the top panel so just the bottom of the airbox is open and exposed with a pipe on the bottom left side going to the engine area. go a for *short*, yes short like 100metre drive with some stick, change gears and youll hear the stock bov, it should be loud as. if you like that sound then just buy a pod filter from your local auto shop to suit the pipe diameter. fitting an aftermarket bov is probably a waste of $$$ and will cause stalling problems if not adjusted correctly. the stock bov is plently loud enough with a pod filter