SAU Community

Top RB20 Club... do you have over 260rwkw?

The kits i have seen come with the Type R gate. Refer to Whezzy's post on its size. I have a Greddy manifold and gate that i will be taking off my car in the next fortnight as i am trialling a few different setups seeing if i can get a small improvement in power and response, or just shit laods more power. I want 300rwkws :(

The kits i have seen come with the Type R gate. Refer to Whezzy's post on its size. I have a Greddy manifold and gate that i will be taking off my car in the next fortnight as i am trialling a few different setups seeing if i can get a small improvement in power and response, or just shit laods more power. I want 300rwkws :thumbsup:

HEHEHEHE.....we are currently in the same boat.

I'm at 277 1.2bar, another 23rwkw with a little more boost would work (say 1.4-1.5bar) but that wont be reliable.

The more I read about cams the more I think 9mm IN/EX lift would be sufficient and will make more of a difference than duration, however I am still unsure on the duration.

I have seen people happy with 265 degree, but I am starting to think that even this is over the top for the gains.

I am waitign to hear back on some VG30 Solid lifters and valve springs, if they look reasonably priced then i am grabbing a $100 head and getting it ported for the 260/10.25mm Procam. If the lifter conversion is too expesnive then i will grab the more expensivfe JUn 256/9.3mm that are stil hydraulic but require springs and clearancing of the head.

Being the first usually means you waste lots of money for no gain or losses as was the case with the Apexi 260/9mm cams i last tried :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well the manifold doesnt look like arriving in time, by the end of this week i was hoping to have back to back dyno sheets of:

- my current TD06-20G setup

vs current turbo with 6boost manifold

vs TD06-20G with 6boot and 10cm housing

vs TD06-25G with 6boost and 8cm housing

I am betting the 20G with 10cm housing will be the best compromise but will be interesting. Either way i will have a spare turbo setup to sell :D It will have to wait until i get back from OS to play with as there is no way i am paying for all the labour associated with the stuffing around. The dyno time and tuning is going to make the back to back exercise expensive enough :(

turboedsloth , did you get your boost issues sorted? I would love to piggy back any of your experience by getting some pics of your wastegate setup on the manifold

Well the manifold doesnt look like arriving in time, by the end of this week i was hoping to have back to back dyno sheets of:

I am betting the 20G with 10cm housing will be the best compromise but will be interesting. Either way i will have a spare turbo setup to sell :D It will have to wait until i get back from OS to play with as there is no way i am paying for all the labour associated with the stuffing around. The dyno time and tuning is going to make the back to back exercise expensive enough :(

turboedsloth , did you get your boost issues sorted? I would love to piggy back any of your experience by getting some pics of your wastegate setup on the manifold

Troy, i know someone local with a 3076(might be bigger) on a 6boost mani with lines he wants to sell, made over 270IIRC on an RB24 on pretty safe tune and boost

PM me if you want me to chase down the full details

Looking at the 25G they normally make a bit more power then the 3040 but with similar response to 3037s so since there are already a few RB20s running GT30Rs....i figured i will give the bigger Truwst turbo a go. So not really interested, already paid for my 6boost manifold and have the turbos and gates so need to get it all sorted so i can sell the spare setup myself

I am betting the 20G with 10cm housing will be the best compromise but will be interesting. Either way i will have a spare turbo setup to sell :D It will have to wait until i get back from OS to play with as there is no way i am paying for all the labour associated with the stuffing around. The dyno time and tuning is going to make the back to back exercise expensive enough :rofl:

Will be interesting to see the back to back results.

My set up is with the 10cm rear (L2) with 264 cams so should be interesting to see what the final figure is compared to Wheezy's :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Any update Turboedsloth? My car is still to find its way tpo the mechanis but curious to know if your manifold / gate / boost issue has been resolved. My 6boost manifold will be going on and i have no idea if the Type R gate will do the job. Not bothered if i have to replace as i wouldnt mind going V-band HKS Type II 50mm wastgete

I've got a td06 20g 8cm and cant get rid of a boost spike, has a 6boost manifold, had a 38mm tial gate now has 44mm tial gate, exhaust is 3inch straight thru, has anyone else experienced this problem before, my tuner told me at the first tune the manifolds are TO GOOD so thats the reason i upgraded the gate. it boosts to 1 bar then spikes to about 1.5, was going to 2 bar before gate change. would going bigger again fix this problem?

hmm id be looking at the gate position on the manifold, i have used bigger trust turbos with the 44mm tial gates (not ideal but i have to work with what customers roll in with sometimes).

Roy the type r is 47mm, So far i have no boost issues with them. The white R33 on my website has no issues either and it has a 8cm housing instead of the 10cm... and runs the type r trust gate. We run a 47mm blitz gate on the drift car (its a dual outlet blitz, as they were out of 50mm) and it runs a much larger K5-660R, it is borderline but holds boost spot on. gallery5.jpg

Edited by URAS

You have no idea how keen i am to get my car finished and tuned and over to your place Trent so i can get you to overlay the graph with Wheezy. I am always so slow with getting stuff done to my car. Doesnt help when i am not around to do the runnign around :down:

The one thing that stops me from going inlet manifold is that Wheezy's power curve is still climbing at 7,500rpm whereas mine has already hit peak power and rolling over. LOL i am not sure if that means i have more midrange and comes on earlier or we have similar mid but his plenum allows the top end to be alot stronger.

If there is something to gain up top from a manifold i bloody well want it :P Want to see if we can get a mix that works with around 300rwkws and reasonable response. Its only a number and dont want to compromise the performance but i think there is enough of a chance that i am going to throw some money at it trying.

You have no idea how keen i am to get my car finished and tuned and over to your place Trent so i can get you to overlay the graph with Wheezy. I am always so slow with getting stuff done to my car. Doesnt help when i am not around to do the runnign around :down:

The one thing that stops me from going inlet manifold is that Wheezy's power curve is still climbing at 7,500rpm whereas mine has already hit peak power and rolling over. LOL i am not sure if that means i have more midrange and comes on earlier or we have similar mid but his plenum allows the top end to be alot stronger.

If there is something to gain up top from a manifold i bloody well want it :P Want to see if we can get a mix that works with around 300rwkws and reasonable response. Its only a number and dont want to compromise the performance but i think there is enough of a chance that i am going to throw some money at it trying.

i had a rb20 with T04Z and 360+rwkw in the other week..... std inlet plenum.. so the extra expense may be moot. Happy to put aside a day to play housings etc if your keen. Wheezys car was the first to pull such numbers on my dyno and the only diff was plenum to other cars so im sure there is benefits but id love to have the time to overlay with and without to pinpoint exactly what and where.

Edited by URAS

Cool, will see how i go with the dollars for the body work. That will limit how much playing i do, the Plazmaman plenums were on special but fark it, it has now eneded :down:

If any RB20 lovers out there have a timing belt cover that has RB20 embossed in it i am looking for one. Mine is blank, might be year model related?!?!?!

If any RB20 lovers out there have a timing belt cover that has RB20 embossed in it i am looking for one. Mine is blank, might be year model related?!?!?!

yup, i have a spare one...just have to check if its got the RB20 marked on it....

Cool, will see how i go with the dollars for the body work. That will limit how much playing i do, the Plazmaman plenums were on special but fark it, it has now eneded :/

The earlier model RB20's had the cam cover with 'RB20' embossed on the front, the later ones were just blank :(

• 4 weeks later...

So, the RB20 folk that are running the Plazmaman or any other aftermarket plenums. Do you run std throttle bodies or have you gone for larger aftermarket or Q45 jobbies?

I am kind of keen to have a play with all this now, cant wait, new 6boost exhaust manifold, larger housing to try on the 20G, TD06-25G, Plazmaman, titanium exhaust, ARC cooler and some cams. Just have to work out the order of install to gauge the performance change with each mod without it costing me the earth in tuning and labour :P

Curiosity never killed the cat...but it sure has farked the bank account. I have now crossed that stooopid line where when you add up the cost of all the add ons i could have spent way too much trying to optimise the performance from the lil 20 ;)