SAU Community

HICAS removal bar fitting for R33

GTRgeoff

im about to chuck my lock bar in this weekend. i have done a lock on a 32 and it was locked on my old 33 as the hicas was faulty but i must admit i never new there was a computer in the boot that controlled the 4 wheel steer.

i knew that the hicas in r33 was electronic as opposed to the hydraulic set up in the r32 skylines but yer the computer is news to me.

i have recently pulled the hicas sensor off the steering collumn when i did a steering wheel change and only thing i can notice is the light come on when i turn hard if im dring over 80!

i guess i have 3 main questions ..

1. will removal of the disc sensor set-up interfere with my power steering???

2. will unplugging the electronic clips on the hicas interfere with my power steering?

3. will removing the ecu in the parcel shelf interfere with my power steering??

i want my steering to feel just the same as stock but with out the rear wheel steer.

You need a HICAS Bosskit for your steering wheel,

Leave the computer alone and it will be fine.

The only thing you remove is the bar itself and the bulb. Leave EVERYTHING else or you will have problems.

oh really a hicas boss kit?? i just uses an off the shelf item for r33 that didnt allow for hicas. i unplugged and pulled the black disc set up off the steering collum. car still seems to be driving fine???

• 1 month later...

what about removing the fuse?? where is the fuse located for the hicas? i read somewhere that its in the boot, but where in the boot? i have just put a lockbar in and it made so much difference to the handling of the car. i like i like.

i wouldnt worry about the fuse. ive had my HICAS out for almost a year. never took the fuse out and its fine. its not like its plugged into anything so shouldnt matter.

• 4 months later...

i took my hicas ecu out years ago in R33 GTSt. i guess u could say the steering was slightly heavier but im also running 19" rims which weigh shitloads more than the stockers.

i also never had the hicas light come up on the dash when i removed the ecu

some ppl think its weird but it was basically unplug it all and things were normal.

ben...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just tape them up and cable tie away nicely.. Or, if you CBF i think you can pull them up into the boot through the big ass grommet there.

Hi guys, i have recently bought a R33 with the HICAS motor being removed, and it's got a lock bar installed.

The steering feel is stiff when car is not moving, for e.g. when trying to do a reverse parking. When driving the car at higher speeds, its still stiffer than a stock R33 with the HICAS unit.

What I would like to know is, does the removal of the HICAS unit and the installing of a lock bar caused the power steering to be stiff ? I know the removal of the HICAS unit is to prevent the rear wheels from steering and the HICAS lock bar is obviously to lock the rear wheels into a locked position. But does this naturally mean the steering should be stiff ?

Or is there a problem with the power steering unit or pump ?

Is it possible to have the HICAS unit removed + installing the lock bar, BUT still retain the feeling of a power-assisted steering ?

I am totally not used to driving this car with the stiff steering, and would like to return to the original feeling of the normal power assisted steering. I asked the previous owner why the steering was so stiff, and he told me that its because the HICAS unit has been removed. Is that really the reason behind it?

Hope you guys can help out here as I am really new but I have searched through the forums on this topic but cant seem to find out the exact answers. Thanks guys !

Edited by Brabus

so many variations with this hicas lol... i removed my hicas computer years ago when doing a boot install, the light never came on, the steering was light as usual i also got 19's with 245/265s on. recently i finally got around to fitting my lock bar. and again no issues at all.

Ben...

• 1 month later...

what about the steering position sensor in the r33? located behind the steering wheel / boss kit. its the round disc with the tab that fits through the slot in hicas specific boss kits / standard wheel.

it was mentioned above that once removed, it had no bearing on power steering weight, etc.

can i get a confirmation or otherwise about removing this sensor?

Edited by Munkyb0y

• 4 months later...

hey, awesome write up...plan on installing the bar in the next week or so. Was just wondering with the wheel alignment, would you be able to do it yourself? maybe with some string? lol i know it sounds dodgy but might not have time to drive it to a w/a place for a few days...