SAU Community

HICAS removal bar fitting for R33

GTRgeoff

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

easy as...cheers geoff followed the guide took me about 40 mins job complete cheers heaps....mick....p.s,recomend this guide to anyone!!!

Great tute, Thanks for the pics and step by step. I just finished my lock bar install on my 34GTT. I had the problem of TCS, ABS, SLIP, HICAS lights all coming on when I started. turns out i took off a plug that I shouldn't have. Its the grey one on the right at the top that is attached to the structure. Plugged it back in and all was good. Just need to remove the HICAS light.

post-75239-0-16740000-1308377785_thumb.jpg

Hey can anyone tell me what the torque rating is on the two bolts that hold the hicas unit amd/or what torque should i use on the replacement locking bar. Sorry just like to do things properly. whistling.gif

I used German torques... Goodentight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name=ClutchBurndout-:(' timestamp='1309912435' post='5899483]

what size are the big ass 4 sided nuts on the hicus?

I think I used a 32mm spanner but it felt a bit sloppy lol whistling.gif also try and find one that is fairly thin. When I tightened mine up to the hicas bar i found it hard to get the spanner off!!

just a quick question on these hicas lock bars. where should i go about purchasing one, would ebay be the go, or best to stay away?

if not then can someone reccommend a local shop that stocks, or will get one in for me in the Vic Frankston area.

thanks

ok, i have just finished reading this whole thread, and there is something i have noticed that has not been answered.

if you don't plan on doing any sort of drifting but might enjoy the occational mountain run here or there, do you really need to do this HICAS lock?, or is this simply a good idea as the HICAS has a tendency to f**k up on people?, also, a simple question, might not be simple to answer, but the misses and i went for a longish cruise and on the way back the HICAS light came on and stayed on, didn't seem to affect anything, but we stopped at a mates place to let them have a look at my new car, took him for a quick spin and noticed that the HICAS light was off, is that something i should be worried about?

• 2 weeks later...

ok, i have just finished reading this whole thread, and there is something i have noticed that has not been answered.

if you don't plan on doing any sort of drifting but might enjoy the occational mountain run here or there, do you really need to do this HICAS lock?, or is this simply a good idea as the HICAS has a tendency to f**k up on people?, also, a simple question, might not be simple to answer, but the misses and i went for a longish cruise and on the way back the HICAS light came on and stayed on, didn't seem to affect anything, but we stopped at a mates place to let them have a look at my new car, took him for a quick spin and noticed that the HICAS light was off, is that something i should be worried about?

The light could just be a dicky plug connection. maybe check the plugs on your hicas unit and give them a clean with some contact cleaner. As far as your not drifting goes. I'm not massively into drifting but taking out the hicas and fitting the bar definitely made the car feel a shit ton better when going on the occasional spirited drive. And if you ever change your mind and decide to dabble in a bit of drifting youre ready to go. just my 2c worth but i think it is worth it

• 2 weeks later...

hicas is shit...parden the french....all good for the standard skylines....eg my girlfriends car which is a r33 standard auto,but my one is pusing 350 rwkw+,hit 3rd gear wants to throw me across 3 lanes...see ya hicas,unique auto sports $100 for hicas lock bar,40 mins of my time.....adjustable shifter and a breaker bar(vacum pipe) for the 4 sided nuts...wheel alignment $60 and where done....love driving the car more now....i dont drift...i drag race and i still prefer the non hicas any day...even windy roads it's heaps better....thanks again geoff for the help...cheers mick

• 2 weeks later...

ok quick question... i have s1 r33 gtr...

i have purchased a lock bar, i want remove all the lines up to the front power steering pump n solanoids... Wat do i do to the pump (eg- block, cut, loop) to stop it from failing over heating etc

also can and/or do i remove the solanoid...

the rest looks n seems easy

• 1 month later...

Just finished installing a lock bar on my 34 gtt....

The left tie rod was on tight, but a good whack with a hammer had it cracked. the right one, however, was on tighter than a 2 year old and my 34 claimed a lot of blood from my mouth today!

The left tie rod was quite hard to crank up because the exhaust was in the way, so i loosened off the two mounting bolts so i could move it around and get more access to it.

great write up, easy to follow instructions, off for a wheel alignment tomorrow then a track day in 2 weeks to test it out!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...