SAU Community

HICAS removal bar fitting for R33

GTRgeoff

One thing I'm confused on in this tutorial is:

basicly you take the ps pump off and undo the the 4 bolts on the side of it.After you remove the cover youll see a little impeller pump thing which slides out.

Luckly the outside impeller is for the hicas and is easily removable.

Then you close the the pump up and block the outlet with a bolt.

If you dont remove the impleller and just block the hole, the pump will still be pumping the fluid, but because the fluid has nowhere to go, the pump will start to heat up and leak. maybe even wear out eventually.

i really should get my shit together and post up some pics.

steve

Does this apply for R32 GTR's only?

I thought I saw a mention of R33 GTR's somewhere near that post....does this need to be done?

EDIT in another post on this forum I found;

Yup. R32/R33 pumps are totally different.

R33 pump has NO Hicas as its not hydraulic. So its half the size of the R32 item

The R33 one you want for a RWD conversion. R32 one is a pain and can foul other things (i had this issue, and needed a 33 specific), pain in the ass to find a second handie and new - they are just a rip off

Ah right, so they were referring to the R32 then...

pulled my HICAS out of my 33 today after reading this DIY and i must say when i was reading it i thought there was no way it could be done so easily but got into it and half an hour later all done. now off for a wheel allignment on monday and will be sweet.

Thanks for a great thread.

john

Glad it helped John, and good to see someone that isn't comfortable on the spanners having a go. Before you know it, with an attitude of having a go, you will be building an engine. That's not that hard either. Apparently Duncan, the champion donk luncher has built some :)

Glad it helped John, and good to see someone that isn't comfortable on the spanners having a go. Before you know it, with an attitude of having a go, you will be building an engine. That's not that hard either. Apparently Duncan, the champion donk luncher has built some :P

yeah well thats the thing. i have loved skylines for years, finally bought one and if i want to learn about em i may as well get in and do the things i can do.

cant wait for the next mod to do it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

i didnt see an answer to an earlier post so i thought u might ask as well.

has any1 done this on a stagea??

r they the same units as the 33??

will this take some of that vague feeling out of the back end??

im really new to the whole hicas thing so any help would be great

I haven't seen a stagea yet with HICAS, although some may have it I guess there were lots of options. Have a look under the rear, there is a link to the rear of the hub that controls toe. One mine that connects straight to the chasis (ie no HICAS). If it has it the link will go to an electric motor behind the subframe.

So....the vague feeling is probably related to worn shocks and bushes, multi link independant suspension have heaps of bushes in them. Maybe even the subframe bushes themselves. Remember all this stuff is over 10 years old.

I haven't seen a stagea yet with HICAS, although some may have it I guess there were lots of options. Have a look under the rear, there is a link to the rear of the hub that controls toe. One mine that connects straight to the chasis (ie no HICAS). If it has it the link will go to an electric motor behind the subframe.

So....the vague feeling is probably related to worn shocks and bushes, multi link independant suspension have heaps of bushes in them. Maybe even the subframe bushes themselves. Remember all this stuff is over 10 years old.

i dont want too sound rude, but i wouldnt have asked if my stagea didnt have it. i am new to hicas, but ive seen enough of them to know what they look like. i have plans to replace all the bushes and shocks. so i thought it would be a good chance to get rid of the hicas at the same time. i guess my question about the vague feeling was a little non discriptive. im more wondering does the hicas add to this vagueness problem??

but thanks for the input anyway

• 3 months later...

pulled out my hicas lockbar outa my 33 today at work wit a work mate..

took us bout 30mins using a hoist.. :nyaanyaa:

good walkthrough...made it clear as anything..anybody can do this...

thanks heaps GTRgeoff... :w00t:

by-the-way did anybody use lock-thread on those bolts that actually hold up the bar?

would this be recommended? well i did anyways just in-case..

plus now..can i just remove a dash fuse to remove the hicas light????or some fuse???

or do i gota pull out the cluster unit? im hoping i dont have too...lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I almost attempted this DIY this afternoon, and it got a bit late, so i only got up to unplugging the wiring loom and taking the wire off the right side rubber boot. What is the best tool to use to 'crack off' the large 4 sided rod?

basicly you take the ps pump off and undo the the 4 bolts on the side of it.After you remove the cover youll see a little impeller pump thing which slides out.

Luckly the outside impeller is for the hicas and is easily removable.

Then you close the the pump up and block the outlet with a bolt.

If you dont remove the impleller and just block the hole, the pump will still be pumping the fluid, but because the fluid has nowhere to go, the pump will start to heat up and leak. maybe even wear out eventually.

i really should get my shit together and post up some pics.

steve

One thing I'm confused on in this tutorial is:

Does this apply for R32 GTR's only?

I thought I saw a mention of R33 GTR's somewhere near that post....does this need to be done?

EDIT in another post on this forum I found;

Ah right, so they were referring to the R32 then...

ok whos game to earn some $$ and remove my whole system as listed above?

would prefer that you have done it before to a 32 gtr

pm me if you are in the bris g/coast area

i have no tools or facilitys :/

Edited by DAS KAMU

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

spent like an hour bludging at work and read most of this thread... not much mention of people ALSO taking out their HICAS computer.

I ask because those 2 boxes under the parcel tray would free up alot of space for a small sealed 10" sub :) just for some added depth in the stereo, NOT your typical George Street d00f d00f shiet or ya Chap Laps in melbourne lol

I'm about to do my HICAS removal as well on my R33 and am wondering how many people have actually removed their HICAS computer? (it's the two computers strapped to each other with 2 looms going into 1 right???)

I don't mind slightly heavier steering, but I still want power steering.

Any thoughts?

Apparently its not recommended.

I just installed my lockbar yesterday. Easiest job in the world! Took 40 mins and a can of Dr. Pepper. Even better so because i did it on an allignment hoist with the sliding bits for the wheels hehe. Piece of cake and was only out 1mm on the rear right. All good now.

I was thinking about pulling the loom up through the hole and putting a new bung in the hole. Havnt actually looked to where it comes into the cabin tho, im assuming by the HICAS ecu. Dont like the taped up cable tied shit. tacky!

• 2 months later...
Apparently its not recommended.

I just installed my lockbar yesterday. Easiest job in the world! Took 40 mins and a can of Dr. Pepper. Even better so because i did it on an allignment hoist with the sliding bits for the wheels hehe. Piece of cake and was only out 1mm on the rear right. All good now.

I was thinking about pulling the loom up through the hole and putting a new bung in the hole. Havnt actually looked to where it comes into the cabin tho, im assuming by the HICAS ecu. Dont like the taped up cable tied shit. tacky!

Did you notice any power steering faliure ? or is that only where you remove the HICAS ECU ??