SAU Community

Twilight Club Sprint @ Calder Park - Feb. 5th

Downforce

I'm out of the country but I'm still around!!

I wanted to bring up the structure of the club championship at the next next club meeting. This will be before the 1st event.

Anyways... the biggest issue is the number of people we will have competing. There won't be many in the first year especially so we can't have too many classes. I find it hard to believe there will be many more than 10 of us at each of the events. If Im wrong I'd be happy. These days for those of us that competed last year was more about getting out there and having some fun and improving our own driving than any real competition anyways.

But - my initial thoughts were to have 4 classes.

1. RWD - Standard

2. RWD - Modified

3. AWD - Standard

4. AWD - Modified.

The definition to Modified meant a modification to the fuel system. So basically as long as you are still running the standard fuel pump and injectors you would be classed in the Standard Class. I know cheater tyres play as bigger part in lap times as HP but most competitions don't seperate them in classes as they are all "street legal".

Anyways - feel free to discuss this here.

To cover some other points - oil coolers - I believe they are more necessary on GTR's than GTST's to begin with. I may be wrong on that however. But as stated - this first event is at Calder. Average laps are around the 1.05 - 1.15s mark (or 59s if your name is Ben) and you will only get 3 flying or flat out laps. So thats less than 4 mins of high operating temps so at this track in particualr oil temp issues may not be so bad. Phillip Island where lap times over 2min are the norm may be different.

AS for if you should start with a sprint day - well I did. I didn't push myself and I just placed myself in a slow group and spent the first half of the day following slower cars and learning the racing lines before trying to go off on my own and improve my times. Having said that - the wrx club offer a training group in their sprint days where you won't get timed and you have the chance to have an instructor with you. It also costs slightly less than the normal sprint day (but you dont get to compete in the super sprints at the end of the day). I also have to find out still if this is available to non wrx club members.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi my name is Bill nick name Turbo1958 I know this has nothing to do with calder park wich i am about to ask .. But I live in Ballarat and have a R33 GTST Auto skyline .. was wondering how i could become a member of the vic skyline club.. my contact address is [email protected] thank you for your time .. Bill

The definition to Modified meant a modification to the fuel system. So basically as long as you are still running the standard fuel pump and injectors you would be classed in the Standard Class.

hi Andrew,

i know its a little bit difficult to classify cars however what about cars like N1's GTR's etc being classified as standard as they have the "factory" N1 injectors etc? Not that those owners would mind being put in the standard class :D

What about your car, is it classified as standard as well?

Maybe aftermarket turbos etc might be a better route to take as far as classifying cars?

Andrew as our discussions at the committee meetings, std was classed as a car with an non modified/changed turbo and engine.

So any car that ran hi-flow turbos or have non-factory equiped turbo's (ie: placing a better turbo from a latter model eg:N1 on a gtr or an RB25 turbo on a Rb20, etc. are all classified as being modified)

A hi-flow fuel pump does not add any power.

What wasn't considered was aftermarket ecu's, but anyone with a avc-r or piggyback, etc, will also fall in this group. I have seen so many cars getting the same power from an avc-r (etc) as an aftermarket ecu (when using std turbo/s).

not that i really know what i'm talking about, but maybe class anything as 'modified' if you have more than the 'standard' mods.... then just determine what standard is..

filter/pod/cai, whatever,

exhaust

bleed valve, boost controller.

they seem to be the basic mods... maybe anymore than that, you are 'modified'??

then you got suspension and brake mods :confused:

EDIT: just read Al's post on the last page... seems everything is covered.. :P

Thanks Matt :)

_IrIsH_ this IS a CAMS event, you need a LS2 level licence to enter. But they may have one passenger session at the start of the event. Just make sure you are wearing long sleeve shirt and pants and bring a helmet.

You will get an L2S licence. Anything higher than that and you need to sit classes / do tests. An L2S however is all you need for events such as these sprint days and also things like the Dutton Rally. The higer levels are once you start racing directly against other cars.

Just quickly going back to the classes. If you look at the wrx club they have I think 7 or so classes - this covers things like tyres and ecu's and all sorts of different levels of modifications. BUT they have many many people competing. We won't have that many people competing and if we have too many classes we will end up with classes with 1 or even no people in it. It happened this year in the NDSOC where 1 guy was in his own class. Consequently he got full points every time he competed and was going to win his class and the consequent club championship just by turning up. We don't want that.

Now as a rule skylines - especially those that people bring to the track - are not standard. There are probably less than 5% of skylines out there that are 100% stock. So basically we have to find a cut off point where we are happy to agree that this is where we draw the line between classes. For those that have done a fair bit of track work - the most obvious place is where bigger turbo's start being used. Thats where the gap increases the most.

However - changing turbo's doesn't necessarily mean a bigger turbo. I'm not an expert with the RB25 but I know with the RB26 I basically couldn't produce much more power without upgrading the fuel system as my injectors are nearing maxium duty. However - if I was to get some steel wheels I could up the boost and produce more power with my turbo's - but I'd have to also change my fuel system to cope with the extra power. This is why we initially changed the thought on "turbo's" being the limitting factor to the fuel system.

Again I'd like to stress that I will be covering this in detail at the next meeting and we'll be putting the rules up for discussion and and then a vote. Its your club and we want to keep everyone as happy as possible but everyone has to understand the limitations we have. It going give up situtations where say someone with a stock GTR will have to compete against say me and Scotsman - however it also means that when as planned shortly I upgrade to 2530's I would be then competing against the likes of Ben from Racepace.

Most of us have aspirations to do things to our cars. So sometimes we may find ourselves at the bottom of the tree, but given time you can work to the top. If then if you decide you can go past the top of the tree and find your self back down the bottom again.

Having crapped on long enough though all of that you will find that the only person you really compete against is yourself anyways. Beating your own previous best time is always more satisfying than beating another person (unless that person is Scotsman. It's so much fun beating him. LOL)

And Chrisman - we might have to change the class from RWD to 2WD just for you. Teach you a lesson for not owning a skyline. LOL.

Teach me for not owning a skyline..... Gives me the op. to teach the other for owning a skyline...hehehe

Whats the go with registering? Do you have a number of places available or are you still waiting for a reply from the WRX club?

Teach me for not owning a skyline..... Gives me the op. to teach the other for owning a skyline...hehehe

Whats the go with registering? Do you have a number of places available or are you still waiting for a reply from the WRX club?

Entry forms are now available, get them in early :)