SAU Community

bonnets

ecl

Heya,

How easy is it to tell a CF bonnet (sprayed white) from a normal bonnet?

Also, are there any legal ways to get a vented bonnet so as to not get defected?

Ohh, whilst on topic of legality.. does NSW have the 1 intake mod rule? and if i still have stock intercooler, does the pod still need to be boxed? A partition is not a box right? lols

thanks

- Eric

i reckon if ya painted both sides of the bonnet you'd be hard pressed to find a copper who can tell :cheers: also i BELEIVE (ie don't know for sure) that if you put mesh inside your vents then you can have them there... can anyone confirm?

Cheers,

Dave.

Heya,

How easy is it to tell a CF bonnet (sprayed white) from a normal bonnet?

Also, are there any legal ways to get a vented bonnet so as to not get defected?

Ohh, whilst on topic of legality.. does NSW have the 1 intake mod rule? and if i still have stock intercooler, does the pod still need to be boxed?  A partition is not a box right? lols

thanks

- Eric

when he goes to open your bonnet to check out your engine bay I *think* he may notice that it ways about a quarter of what a normal bonnet does. That may give the game away...

This may, or may not concern anyone but I've always wanted a aluminium bonnet for my car because of the weight saving and legality/practicality.

CF is great on a track but imagine hitting someone/being involved in an accident.

I imagine that stuff splinters, and as if someone being hit by a car isn't bad enough imagine the whole bonnet splintering into them, or into another car as it impacts you (or you impact them).

I think they're illegal for a reason, and unlike most stuff that's illegal to modify I think it's illegal for a good reason. Mind you having said that I've never seen one in an impact so maybe I'm over-dramatising.

*shrug* something to think about. (Oh and if you have insurance they might not pay you because your car isn't legal).

If you're comfortable with all that then go for your life - when I can afford it I will be getting an aluminium custom. As for you skyline boys I think you can just swap a GTR bonnet right?

As far as i know the only reason they are defectable is because they are not ADR compliant because they have not been crash tested... that is why you CAN put a cf bonnet on a BA Falcon, because they HAVE been crash tested thus are ADR approved...

unless its in a legal rta document i wouldnt beleive a thing.
I'd have to strongly agree with that. It depends who at the RTA you call, what day and at what time as to the answer you get.

Basically just make sure you always have a jar of lube for your ass when you are out in your car...

:wassup:

Y on earth would u wanna paint a CF bonnet anyways ??

because maybe not everyone wants a cf bonnet for the look, sure it looks nice but it would probably stand out a fair bit as my car is white which is a big no no in trying to keep it stockish looking

• 3 weeks later...

Pod filters do not have to be in an airbox. Just get the thing engineered.

As for CF bonnets, I was always under the assumption that they are owner certified, meaning that they do not have to be engineered to be legal. Probably the best person to speak to would be an engineer. They'd be more consistent than the RTA.