SAU Community

Headlights gone on left

JH32

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay... Nothing so interesting as ground leakage but it seems as if the fcukwits that fixed my headlights bent the power pin for the low beam.

Not happy, Jan.

Anyway, now my central locking isn't working AHHHH!!!!

:P

yes the panel shop just bent the pin back straight again and it works like a charm again. unplug your headlight plug and make sure that power is getting to the appropriate pin etc at the appropriate time.

Good Luck

hmmm..i pulled the whole thing...traced the wiring loom back to where it disappears into the car to the fuses... wiggled this, wiggled that... pulled out the globe bare then touched it to the appropriate wires on the back of the mouting plug. Swapped globes, swapped fuses everything i could think of

Still no luck, and it ain't fuses, and it ain't any dodgy plug i can see. Usually i'm pretty cluey fixing these sorts of things but no luck here!! Short of using a multimeter (which I don't own) to isolate the problem I'm almost ready to hand this one in.

Time to take it to the auto-elec..if they charge me a fortune i'll be pissed 'cause i just want to get the RWC and sell. Its always the small problems that are the most annoying!

• 1 year later...

Sorry to be diggin up such an old thread (thankyou search button :D) but this problem has just happened to me on the drivers side. Parkers still work but no low or high beam.

I've checked all fuses and globes. I got a multimeter onto the wires and there is no voltage. The headlight switch in the dash sounds like a reasonable cause at this stage. Anyone know its exact location? Is there a switch for each side? If there is then thats just stooopid.

How did you all fix it? If you can remember...

its a fairly common prob with most nissans , the switch itself , thats the thingy you turn clockwise to put parkers and headlights on . you take the steering covers off about 4-5 screws unerneath, then from memory 1 or 2 little screws and the switch is out but you must unplug it first . get a new switch from nissan around 90 -100 $ and ypur fine .

i can repair your old one but no guarantee that it will last cause they short out or even break . sometimes u may not be able to turn say 1 light off , you turn the swicth and the left headlight ( or right ) may stay on .

riggap , i have pulled several switches apart and yes they connect both lights when they work but when they short out they do funny things , like only one side going on or one side staying on you cant turn it off !!!

you see for safety reasons there is 2 different circuits for the lights so when there is a prob you dont loose all your lights and 2 fuses for them as well .

anyway if i had the problem first i would check the globes then the fuses ( they are in the fuse box in the engine bay ) if they are good the switch is the most likely problem

Dunno if you sorted it out, because im lazy and couldnt be bothered reading any of this thread :D

but if your head light is playin up, like mine is.. and some times it works some times it does,

check the contacts on the dash switch..

eg: give the knob (that u turn yout lights on) a few taps and stuff and it should turn back on,

if this is the case you have a loose contact on the wiring thats connected to the on/off switch .. simply pull the knob/dash out to get to the wiring and get the soldering iron happening and fix it up..

then head over to my place and fix mine for me :)

Yeah I have noticed that sometimes when I flick my lights off, the left ones stay on, so I turn them back on and then off again, usually gets them off, also if you very slowly turn the knob, on mine it turns the left one on first then the right, but you have to turn it really slow and dont know if this hurts anything, having the switch half on.... but anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

thanks guys.... just looked in the boot and there are fuses there... and i just swapped the 20amp fuse for the LH (Left Headlight) and it fixed my problem... :( by the way i have an R33 gtst s1 hope this heaps anyone else.

I had the same problem with my R32 when I first bought it.

It started off by some times not turning on one of the low-beam lights when I turned the switch on the dash. It requried me to turn them off then back on, both lights would then turn on.

Eventually when hitting the Hi-Beams some times one of the low-beam lights wouldn't come back on.

Then one day Nothing.. It stressed me out majorly.

I took it to a local Elec that owned a R33. He said it is a common problem with the R32's. Their dash switch burns out basically. There is a couple of little plastic bits that are spring loaded that push the contacts for the left and right lights. Those little plastic bits melt slightly in turn failing to make a proper contact.

He fixed it replacing the switch. 6 or so months later it did it again so I pulled the switch out and checked it out. I ended up soldering both the left and right contacts together. Worked a charm. Its been like that for the last 2 years now with no problems. As a bonus the low beams also stay on when I hit the hi-beams. :D

i have wired my r33 so the low beams stay on when you put hi beam , i used 2 relays, that way the switch only switches the relays on, very little amps so the switch will last a lot longer as they are known to fail . bonus much brighter lights as i'm geting the full voltage on the lights due to the thicker and very short wires i used .