SAU Community

Headlights gone on left

JH32

i discovered one day when i was stuffing round that if you don't turn the switch the whole way only the right hand light comes on, so you can make the car wink. so that is obviously to do with 1 light not coming on. nissan must have wired the lights to have a contact each in the switch, instead of 1 contact for both. rather stupid if you ask me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread again but just wanted to ask a few things.

On my r32 gtr i turn the headlight switch up once and the parkers go on fine. Then up one more for the headlights and only the right low beam headlight comes on (rarely they will both come on). Then i pull the high beam lever towards the steering wheel and both high beams come on but so does the left low beam light. Now when i push the high beam leaver away from the steering wheel only the right high beam comes on. Neither high or low beam on the left comes on.

Now i know its not the globes because they all seem to come on at one time or another. So im guessing either fuses or more than likely the switch like the rest of you have experienced.

Anything else it could be ?

thanks

Luke the problem is most likely the headlight switch. When you pull the combination lever (high beam lever) you're activating all the lights. When you push it I'm pretty sure it is a different circuit, and in R32/R33 the high-beams come on and the low-beams turn off. A few guys have done a mod so that when you hit HB you keep all lights on, but that's another topic.

It sounds like the combination stalk is working, as high beam comes on. When you push it forward, it may be running through the same circuit as LB, but I'd be surprised.

Short story: I'd look at replacing or repairing that switch dude.

For a DIY solve, search for threads started by me with "headlight switch" in the title. Hope that helps.

Mark

Yeh ive put it down to the switch aswell as sometimes the left headlight works and sometimes it doesnt. Sometimes it comes on after a few seconds and others not.

Ill do the switch when i get some time.

Cheers mate

• 1 month later...
my brand new switch is now doing this after 6 months.

bastards.

Marcus it's the current that runs through the switch that's causing the problem. It melts the little plastic pots, hence no left headlight. The fix is to wire a relay in series with the switch. This will put the high current through the relay (which is purpose built to operate at a rated current, ie. 40A) and a low current through the switch. Doing this will also bump your voltage a little so the headlight output should brighten a little.

Without doing something about the high current (it's because the car is 12V) you'll keep melting headlight switches. If only the little pots were ceramic...

• 1 year later...

Let's resurrect this one again..... I have my left parker and low beam out, I've checked the fuse in the boot and it's OK.

Before I have a look at the switch, will a dead globe in either the parker or low beam affect the operation of the other?

Thanks in advance :blush:

I think when I got my boost guage installed the headlights on the left have stopped working.

The parking light works, but the headlight and the high beam have stopped.

Could this be a fuse or would it be a wiring thing?

I have changed the globe on the headlight and it's not that.

:laugh:

i had this problem on my skyline, ended up just being the fuse for the headlamp, just needed to be taken out and cleaned and put back in, its located in the boot next to the battery.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!! somebody tried to steal my girlfriends R33 the other night, replaced the ignition and then I had no dash lights, parkers or rear lights. Had brake lights, low and high beams though. Got the RAA out...........Useless :) . Searched the forum and found this thread and discovered there were fuses in the boot!? Replaced the 10A Fuse for the rear lights and low and behold I had all the lights again :D . RAA didn't know there were fuses in the back either.......FAIL. So thanks everybody, much much appreciated.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to dig this up again but I cant seem to get my left headlight to work

ive swapped bulbs to see if it was the bulb

changed fuses

pulled out the headlight switch pulled it apart and cleaned it up, nothing was broken or melted in there.

both highbeams didnt work until 30mins ago, the right started first then the left came on shortly after, now they work fine

still no left headlight :(

could it be a faulty relay in the fusebox in the enginebay?

I cant pass rego with one headlight :( help is appreciated!

Sorry to dig this up again but I cant seem to get my left headlight to work

ive swapped bulbs to see if it was the bulb

changed fuses

pulled out the headlight switch pulled it apart and cleaned it up, nothing was broken or melted in there.

both highbeams didnt work until 30mins ago, the right started first then the left came on shortly after, now they work fine

still no left headlight :(

could it be a faulty relay in the fusebox in the enginebay?

I cant pass rego with one headlight :( help is appreciated!

i've had 3 of these headlight switches go on me (r32) and none of them had anything visually wrong with them. you cannot rely on diagnosing it by visual inspection, you will likely find nothing. quit messing around, just replace it and get your lights back

Edited by jonboy

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed my headlight switch, I pulled it apart and found out the contacts inside were pitted and stuffed, so I used some 1200 wet n dry sandpaper and sanded them all back smooth. switch works perfectly now as I now have my lowbeam working!!!

Now my left HIGH beam isnt working well it did for a second but now it wont go on at all.

im just wondering, when highbeam is on should lowbeam be on as well??? when i flick it to highbeam, the lowbeam lights go off!!! is this whats supposed to happen?

im thinking its the blinker/highbeam combo switch thats stuffed now? can anyone relate to this?

this car is drivin me nuts lol

I fixed my headlight switch, I pulled it apart and found out the contacts inside were pitted and stuffed, so I used some 1200 wet n dry sandpaper and sanded them all back smooth. switch works perfectly now as I now have my lowbeam working!!!

Now my left HIGH beam isnt working well it did for a second but now it wont go on at all.

im just wondering, when highbeam is on should lowbeam be on as well??? when i flick it to highbeam, the lowbeam lights go off!!! is this whats supposed to happen?

im thinking its the blinker/highbeam combo switch thats stuffed now? can anyone relate to this?

this car is drivin me nuts lol

lol yes high beam and low beam use two different sets of bulbs. the outer ones for low beam then inners for high beam. low beams should be off when you flick to high beams. nothing unusual there

Thanks for clearing that up mate!! I will get to cleaning the blinker/highbeam switch tomoz arv n see if i get my left highbeam light back :)

lol yes high beam and low beam use two different sets of bulbs. the outer ones for low beam then inners for high beam. low beams should be off when you flick to high beams. nothing unusual there

• 2 weeks later...