SAU Community

15 year old rule to be scrapped???

Gerardrh34

Hey Guys

Just heard from the old man that the government is going to scrap the 15 year old rule. Apparently they are going to ban cars that are 15 years or older from entering Australia.

This is suppose to happen in 2 months....

This is what my old man heard as he knows a few people in the business so whether it's 100% right or he's misunderstood im not too sure so don't fully take my word for it..

If someone has heard a similar story let me know.. thanks

No hate mail if im wrong :D time will tell i guess

When i got my car from Bris Street Machines they said the same. The car needs to be in Aus and complied by April. But they said that they only banned certain cars (R32 was among them)

i'll believe it when I see a proper legislation go thru parliament about it. In order to stop the 15 year import scheme or even amend it, you have to amend the Motor Vehicle Standards Act. When I see a bill passed in parliament regarding such amendments I'll listen to what people have to say.

Workin in the industry I've already seen people go into their shells on the last week of December because the 1st of Jan was supposed to be D-Day for 15 year old cars... then there was some stupid rumour about sometime in the second week of Jan. I've personally spoken to mates who are lawyers in big businesses (and a barrister amongst them), and they say unless a definite amendment is passed via parliament then it'll be importing as usual. And even if they do amend it, it can be contested in a court and by example where in previous years they've allowed people who have already purchased cars when the rules have been changed, they will have to allow people who have already bought cars to bring em in under the old scheme when they change the laws again.

In short... don't believe the hype, and don't spread it unless you have it on a piece of paper with a governmental stamp on it.

i'll believe it when I see a proper legislation go thru parliament about it. In order to stop the 15 year import scheme or even amend it, you have to amend the Motor Vehicle Standards Act. When I see a bill passed in parliament regarding such amendments I'll listen to what people have to say.

You may be right, but I think you'll find that the current 15yo scheme is a set of regulations which probably only require ministerial approval to change. That is, the department draws up the 'new' regulations in accordance with the legislative framework (Motor Vehicle Act), but they only require the ministers signature on the doc, not full parliamentary approval.

All I tell people is buy a car you can bring in now, I wont tell people you will be right as they will need a good lawyer or we think you will be right as we assume what the rule will be.

I have a lot of vested interest in the rule changes with a lot riding on the out come so I just say what they tell us not rumours or a story so people spend their money.

Spoke to DOTR's today and the rule was suppose to be out last week, it is still with the Minister waiting to be signed, hope fully next week.

We only asked when not what it will be as we know they wont say.

Parliment begins sitting next week (ie. Ministers will be back in Canberra and actually working as of next week). If it literally is just waiting on a Minister's signature, then look out from next week ;)

LW.

as previously said by steve the rule only needs ministerial signage, not parliament.

but do you realise how many acts parliament puts through now adays without even reading them? described , as "a sausage mill" by modern political commentators as the amount of things that go through un noticed

e.g the terror laws in australia that removes peoples right for a lawyer, and to talk about what has happend was put through by both houses, with out so much as a debate, now it is causing all sorts of headaches

I dont hold much hope for this act to attract much attention, the reality is that government listens to industry groups especially liberal governments, and those industry groups , ford , holden, etc.. all would much rather you buy a second hand australian built car so they can sell more of there piece of shit cars

its not the fact that the 15yo rule may dissapeare, the reality is it will dissapear its just when

Those that have already paid for 1990 model cars should also be OK.

This is one of the bigger issues we are waiting on also, assuming you will be right is a bit risky.

What if they go yes you can bring them in but you have to go through a RAW, is a point that has been raised, they have let it come in but limit the amount by it going through a RAW.

Their is lots of rumours and assumptions but till it comes out officially we wont know.

This is one of the bigger issues we are waiting on also, assuming you will be right is a bit risky.

Yes, I should have mentioned that DOTARS have indicated on their website that there's (in effect) a possibility that 1990 model cars may not be given import approval, so there's certainly a risk as you say

I hope this isnt going to happen, its pretty unfair, and i dont see a reason for it either.

Sure there's a reason Stormy, if to many ppl buy imports the local car makers will start to lose profits, and we cant have that now can we :P

I really hope this doesn’t happen ether!